How do others help with hypos?

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

my partner asked me a question I’d never really thought of before. Which was ‘how do I help you if you’re having a hypo and cannot drink or feed yourself? Or fall unconscious?’

and I had absolutely no answer to it because frankly I’ve never been in the situation and I haven’t ever been told. I know glucagon injection is usually used but I don’t have one as my team said it’s unlikely I would ever have to use it.

anyone have the answer???

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Should you ever become unconscious with a hypo and/or unable to safely swallow, 999 should be called.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Well just because your team decide it’s unlikely you would need to use a glucagon injection isn’t a reason not to have one but failing that glycogel rubbed on the lips will work apparently , but as previously stated 999 is the call then they will administer glucagon injection most likely hmm there is a message there me thinks ! I’ve never had to use one but I have it on repeat presciptio

Reactions: KK123

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

my partner asked me a question I’d never really thought of before. Which was ‘how do I help you if you’re having a hypo and cannot drink or feed yourself? Or fall unconscious?’

and I had absolutely no answer to it because frankly I’ve never been in the situation and I haven’t ever been told. I know glucagon injection is usually used but I don’t have one as my team said it’s unlikely I would ever have to use it.

anyone have the answer???

Hi,

My wife asked me a simalar question yonks back...
Neither have I been incapable of sorting myself out when low.

I just told her, in the unlikely event I should become incapacitated, make me comfortable & call an ambulance..

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Heya, so I have very sever hypos have done since I was diagnosed at 4. I seiszure and am physically fighting and fitting. My partner and family try to do a system where they get the strongest people to hold me down, pug pillows where they can and contact ambulance for glucagon. Always advise your support group to administer liquid rather than food in case of choking, check for bitten tongue and put pillows soft stuff in place when waiting for ambulance. Hope this helps a bit

Reactions: Chloelox and KK123
Before I had Dexcom I used to get occasional night time hypos which would result in me having a fit. Other half has had to deal with it several times. Advice from her would be:

Call 999 straight away regardless of whether you have glucagon

Use hypostop gel if you can, definitely not solids or liquids (risk of choking) but watch you don’t get bitten.

Reassure, no matter how scared you are

Make the person as comfortable as you can, move them away from anything that might further injure them

Fortunately Dexcom now wakes me so we haven’t had to do this for years. Nothing like waking up to a room full of paramedics ...

Reactions: EllieM and Chloelox

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
If your unconscious from a low blood sugar event, glucagon is the answer.

It’s pricey stuff. They have an expiration date, so they don’t last forever. But it works. It might make the person you give it to vomit, but it will bring them out of a serious lo.

Reactions: Chloelox

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
If your unconscious from a low blood sugar event, glucagon is the answer.

It’s pricey stuff. They have an expiration date, so they don’t last forever. But it works. It might make the person you give it to vomit, but it will bring them out of a serious lo.

If your body can overcome the insulin dose causing the low with its own dose of glucagon (liver dump!) the high bs event will last about 36 hours! That’s something to deal with!

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I definitely agree with Jollymon: glucagon is the answer. An ambulance can't be on place soon enough and you risk too much damage to a lot of important organs in case of a seizure. People around you should act quickly, within a couple of minutes: there's no time to lose nor to waste waiting for the ambulance to get there.
I have to disagree with Mooshk about either food or liquid given to an unconscious person: the risk of choking is far too high.
Injecting glucagone is the best solution. Remember that hypos can be extremely dangerous, so the people around you must know what to do, and do it quickly.
As for cost concerns, you could consider getting a glucagon set only when you are staying someplace unusual in a difficult to reach place, or if you go on holiday abroad or in remote surroundings… Or even when you have just changed something in your management options, like a new insulin you're still unfamiliar with. Why take unnecessary risks?

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
I definitely agree with Jollymon: glucagon is the answer. An ambulance can't be on place soon enough and you risk too much damage to a lot of important organs in case of a seizure. People around you should act quickly, within a couple of minutes: there's no time to lose nor to waste waiting for the ambulance to get there.
I have to disagree with Mooshk about either food or liquid given to an unconscious person: the risk of choking is far too high.
Injecting glucagone is the best solution. Remember that hypos can be extremely dangerous, so the people around you must know what to do, and do it quickly.
As for cost concerns, you could consider getting a glucagon set only when you are staying someplace unusual in a difficult to reach place, or if you go on holiday abroad or in remote surroundings… Or even when you have just changed something in your management options, like a new insulin you're still unfamiliar with. Why take unnecessary risks?
Please note I said liquid and not food. This is also when I fit not unconscious. Also said for the ambulance to be rung asap for glucagon. I'd add that glucagel can be used to be rubbed into gums if your carer doesn't want to use liquid.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mum's friend is in her late 70s and has had T1 since a child. Try and rub honey or jam on their gums is her emergency treatment (after dialling for an ambulance)

Reactions: mooshk

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with Circuspony, my mum always did this for me as a child, and managed to stop hypo's before they were too low.