Diabetics added to the shielding list as of today

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I am constantly correcting information my surgery has for all three of us, I am not surprised there are issues with accurate information.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lovely people.

Can we please stay within the topic of shielding lists & associated confirmation letter..

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi,

A couple of posts are about to be deleted for bickering on this topic.

If you know who you are? I'll give you a couple of minutes to assess your comments & remove them yourself..

Cheers.

Reactions: Salvia

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

A couple of posts are about to be deleted for bickering on this topic.

If you know who you are? I'll give you a couple of minutes to assess your comments & remove them yourself..

Cheers.
Hi all
The prevalence of COVID 19 is very worrying for most people, including me, and particularly for those with an underlying health condition and if you feel safer shielding than do it. But you’re unlikely to be designated officially as someone who should shield unless you meet certain criteria for age, HbA1c, BMI, ethnicity, underlying other health conditions and your postcode. Have a look at the Diabetes UK website which has quite a good article about COVID-19 risk. As someone aged 63 with a non-diabetic HbA1c, reasonable BMI (was better before lockdowns!) I don’t see why I need to shield but I do see a need to minimise social contact, maintain social distance, wear a mask, wash my hands and avoid supermarkets at busy times. I agree with previous contributor, people seem to lose all concept of social distance in a supermarket. Including possibly ME!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had T1 for 37 years & since Oct I've worked full time at Ocado.
I was told that if diabetes is well controlled then I am no more likely to get any other nasty.
I've not got a shielding letter & do not expect to get one.
I'd bin it if I did, I've got rent to pay & visits to Greggs on days off :)
Had first Pfizer vaccine on Feb 18th.

Hi Martin, I like your post! Just one thing though, it's not that we are any more likely to catch it than anyone else, it's that it can have more serious consequences if we do.

Reactions: HSSS

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
The prevalence of COVID 19 is very worrying for most people, including me, and particularly for those with an underlying health condition and if you feel safer shielding than do it. But you’re unlikely to be designated officially as someone who should shield unless you meet certain criteria for age, HbA1c, BMI, ethnicity, underlying other health conditions and your postcode. Have a look at the Diabetes UK website which has quite a good article about COVID-19 risk. As someone aged 63 with a non-diabetic HbA1c, reasonable BMI (was better before lockdowns!) I don’t see why I need to shield but I do see a need to minimise social contact, maintain social distance, wear a mask, wash my hands and avoid supermarkets at busy times. I agree with previous contributor, people seem to lose all concept of social distance in a supermarket. Including possibly ME!

I agree with you. If it wasn't for my occupation I would be happy enough simply to minimise social contact as best as possible and wear a mask, etc but my job requires me to be in (sometimes) VERY close contact with others in the most unhygienic situations, (think blood, snot & tears) and that's just me!!!!! The coveted 'letter' is like a Charlie & the chocolate factory winning ticket, it helps to 'prove' that in certain situations and based on all you have said that an individual (not all) IS at more risk than your colleague. I am finding, like many others in certain occupations, that the first thing work asks you is 'Do you have the shielding letter' and if the answer's no, it's a long winded process to agree on any risk assessment. Don't get me wrong, if a person is deemed NOT to be high risk enough to shield that's fine but as we are finding, WHO is making those decisions and why does there not seem to be any consistency.