Covid vaccination

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had mine yesterday morning. My arm/ shoulder feels worse than with the flu jab but nothing too bad. I have another autoimmune disease which produces an allergic reaction every month & I did experience some of these symptoms but not in excess. Went to bed early & feel fine to work this morning. BG’s have been totally fine.

100% worth the slight discomfort & fatigue.

Pam R

I am 76 with T1D and had my vaccination at the end of January. Persistent headache for 24 hours after it but no other side effects. Just delighted to get it done. I had the Astra Zeneca jab!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Still unsure about the benefits of the jab for me and wider society, but couple of people I know who are type 1 have had theirs with some persistent high blood sugars for a few days which I would take to be a sign that it is working in the sense of provoking an immune response!

maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
Had mine today. Asked the nurse if it would affect blood sugars. Told emphatically that it would not. This evening bgs significantly higher. No other side effects other than sore arm so far. Just wish docs and nurses would not answer questions they don’t know the answer to in such a way you do not doubt them and just say they don’t know!

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had mine today. Asked the nurse if it would affect blood sugars. Told emphatically that it would not. This evening bgs significantly higher. No other side effects other than sore arm so far. Just wish docs and nurses would not answer questions they don’t know the answer to in such a way you do not doubt them and just say they don’t know!
The difficulty is that it seems not all type 1s have experienced high blood glucose after the vaccine, some have even had lows after it, many no change at all. From what I can see it seems even fewer type 2s have had highs after it.

Were you told about the yellow card scheme to report side effects? I wonder if more report hyperglycaemia following the vaccine if that would help others in future know that it could happen (to at least not have your experience of being told it definitely won't happen)?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are our GPs allowed to refer us to a hub to get the vaccine quicker? I work with the public and frankly it's scared me every day since this started. My GP are on group 5 no idea when they'll get to me and say depends how much vaccine they get sent.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I had the Oxford AZ vaccine yesterday. Arm feels fine, but feeling slightly nauseous and woke with a headache today. Will take it easy but hope to back to normal tomorrow. BGs not impacted.

Reactions: sleepster

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on immunosuppressant medication and after speaking to my rheumatologist he said it was fine to have either of the vaccines currently available. I has the Oxford AZ which is the one I wanted, so was pleased.

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Had mine in January, type 1 for 26 years. All absolutely fine, hurt less than my daily injections. Had the Pfizer vaccine. Days 2-5 was a sore arm muscle but otherwise all good.

Andrea _NuBe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horseradish
I am a T1 diabetic. I had the astrazenaca vaccine yesterday. I've experience some side effects, I woke up at 2am shivering unable to get warm, unable to stop shaking despite adding more covers and a hot water bottle, I've never experience that in my life. But I think it's normal for the vaccine. Today I've been under the weather, running hot and cold with a headache all day.
Also BG is running high all day so now using sick day rules.
I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end but I wasn't expecting to feel this rough.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a T1 diabetic. I had the astrazenaca vaccine yesterday. I've experience some side effects, I woke up at 2am shivering unable to get warm, unable to stop shaking despite adding more covers and a hot water bottle, I've never experience that in my life. But I think it's normal for the vaccine. Today I've been under the weather, running hot and cold with a headache all day.
I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end but I wasn't expecting to feel this rough.
Sorry you're feeling so bad. Sending hugs your way and hope you feel better soon. Paracetamol helped when I got the shivers after the Oxford AZ jab. Bloods were low for a day then high for 2 days, then fine.

Reactions: Andrea _NuBe

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the Astra Zeneca two days ago at midday. Early evening I felt icy cold and couldn't stop shivering and shaking despite wrapped in two blankets. I felt too tired to even concentrate on tv, so went to bed; started to feel sick around midnight. Though I wasn't sick. I managed to do an insulin shot and noticed that my bs level was higher than normal. In the morning, no more shivering or shaking, or feeling sick, but extremely tired, and bs persistently high. High blood sugars for the two days, a slight improvement in that today. Tiredness, and feeling very cold are symptoms mentioned in the list of possible side effects. Not pleasant but worth it for the protection.

Reactions: sleepster

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was just the same. Dug out my hot water bottle too. Then slept for hours the next night. Also had stomach ache and nausea. To be fair I realised afterwards I had actually been running a temperature and should have counteracted with paracetamol. All passed by after a few days and now excited to be 14 days int the 21 day get some decent immunity state.

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Had my AZ vaccine yesterday. Blood sugar all over the place and today I feel like I have been run over by a bus, so to speak. But I know it will be worth it. Not helped at all by the fact that we live on a new housing estate and today for most of it we have no power. Never mind little things are sent yo try us. Dreaming of a nice warm bath.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you feel better soon @hodders, and also that you soon get your power back on. Typical for it to be off on a day you feel rough. Take care. Sending hugs.

Reactions: hodders

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had the Pfizer jab. Bit sore where injection was but no biggie.