Carnivore Corner

Max68

Hi All, Goonergal suggested I come take a look at the low carbs forums after getting a bit of a shock/reality check with my latest HBA1c yesterday which was 70, my highest since diagnosis in 2011. Bit upset and annoyed with myself because since 2018 the scores had been 53, 49, 49, 48, 58, 51. Coming down from 58 in Dec 2019 to 51 in June 20 was really pleasing so annoyed with myself that it's now jumped so high. Without going into detail it's been a rough 12 months or so (as it has been for everyone) and I've slacked off with too many comfort carb foods like potatoes (chips), slipped back to white bread (after sticking with granary last year), crisps and stupidly since Christmas chocolate toffees, I know, no kicking required! I'm back walking again after being laid up for two months with a bruised metatarsal so just need to lower the carbs to go with back walking.

I'm a big carnivore and always have been as some vegetables and roughage tend to aggravate my IBS but I like most meats, eggs and fish, although I find fish without accompaniment doesn't fill me up. So not sure if this is the right thread to ask (please move if not) but has anyone any suggestions just to try to accompany steaks, lamb, bacon, sausages, burgers, turkey, chicken etc rather than the non diabetic obvious choices of potatoes. I'm really looking for replacements/substitutes for potatoes/chips and bread ideally and I live on my own so not much of a cook! So many pages to browse through and have already seen that Portobello mushrooms would be a good addition but any other suggestions appreciated.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All, Goonergal suggested I come take a look at the low carbs forums after getting a bit of a shock/reality check with my latest HBA1c yesterday which was 70, my highest since diagnosis in 2011. Bit upset and annoyed with myself because since 2018 the scores had been 53, 49, 49, 48, 58, 51. Coming down from 58 in Dec 2019 to 51 in June 20 was really pleasing so annoyed with myself that it's now jumped so high. Without going into detail it's been a rough 12 months or so (as it has been for everyone) and I've slacked off with too many comfort carb foods like potatoes (chips), slipped back to white bread (after sticking with granary last year), crisps and stupidly since Christmas chocolate toffees, I know, no kicking required! I'm back walking again after being laid up for two months with a bruised metatarsal so just need to lower the carbs to go with back walking.

I'm a big carnivore and always have been as some vegetables and roughage tend to aggravate my IBS but I like most meats, eggs and fish, although I find fish without accompaniment doesn't fill me up. So not sure if this is the right thread to ask (please move if not) but has anyone any suggestions just to try to accompany steaks, lamb, bacon, sausages, burgers, turkey, chicken etc rather than the non diabetic obvious choices of potatoes. I'm really looking for replacements/substitutes for potatoes/chips and bread ideally and I live on my own so not much of a cook! So many pages to browse through and have already seen that Portobello mushrooms would be a good addition but any other suggestions appreciated.

Hello @Max68 and welcome to this thread!

You’re not quite in the place I meant, which was here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2175

This thread is intended for those eating only (or almost overwhelmingly) animal related products. Veg are a problem for most of us (aggravating arthritic joints or upsetting digestive systems!), so you’re unlikely to get too many suggestions here. Rather than move your post, I’ve copied it to the other thread as you’re welcome to post in either or both places, it’s just the 2 threads have very different purposes.

One non-plant based suggestion I have for you as a side is Halloumi fries - Halloumi cheese cut into ‘chip’ sized pieces and then grilled, fried or air fried. Even better if you wrap them in bacon first!

Reactions: DJC3

Max68

Hello @Max68 and welcome to this thread!

You’re not quite in the place I meant, which was here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2175

This thread is intended for those eating only (or almost overwhelmingly) animal related products. Veg are a problem for most of us (aggravating arthritic joints or upsetting digestive systems!), so you’re unlikely to get too many suggestions here. Rather than move your post, I’ve copied it to the other thread as you’re welcome to post in either or both places, it’s just the 2 threads have very different purposes.

One non-plant based suggestion I have for you as a side is Halloumi fries - Halloumi cheese cut into ‘chip’ sized pieces and then grilled, fried or air fried. Even better if you wrap them in bacon first!

Thank you. I spotted your post re Halloumi Fries and have ordered Brew City Halloumi Fries for my C&C tomorrow. When I get more confident I'll just go with the Halloumi and try that as you suggested. Anyone know if the coating on Scotch Eggs or KFC is particularly bad?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I spotted your post re Halloumi Fries and have ordered Brew City Halloumi Fries for my C&C tomorrow. When I get more confident I'll just go with the Halloumi and try that as you suggested. Anyone know if the coating on Scotch Eggs or KFC is particularly bad?

You can make your own coating. Simple version, use grated fresh Parmesan (available pre grated), dunk the chicken (or whatever) in beaten egg and then roll in the Parmesan and cook. Or buy some pork crackling, blitz it (I use a mini chopper, but you could bash it with a rolling pin), mix with Parmesan (or use in its own), dunk the item to be cooked in egg and roll in the mixture. Add herbs or spices to the ‘crumb’ too, if that takes your fancy. Very good on chicken wings.

Max68

You can make your own coating. Simple version, use grated fresh Parmesan (available pre grated), dunk the chicken (or whatever) in beaten egg and then roll in the Parmesan and cook. Or buy some pork crackling, blitz it (I use a mini chopper, but you could bash it with a rolling pin), mix with Parmesan (or use in its own), dunk the item to be cooked in egg and roll in the mixture. Add herbs or spices to the ‘crumb’ too, if that takes your fancy. Very good on chicken wings.

Thank you. I could eat pork crackling till the cows come home! Going to check out those pork scratchings in another thread.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m in heaven.

First time trying bone in rib of veal. Reverse seared. All for me, despite the optimism of Waitrose‘s declaration that it ‘serves 2’. Topped with herb butter made with unpasteurised butter (also from Waitrose, thyme, rosemary and garlic granules. Plenty of meat to gnaw off the bone too!

Definitely on the menu again. Yum!

8180B69F-E541-49BB-993A-63BCB1199ACA.jpeg

Reactions: Larissima and DJC3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m in heaven.

First time trying bone in rib of veal. Reverse seared. All for me, despite the optimism of Waitrose‘s declaration that it ‘serves 2’. Topped with herb butter made with unpasteurised butter (also from Waitrose, thyme, rosemary and garlic granules. Plenty of meat to gnaw off the bone too!

Definitely on the menu again. Yum!

View attachment 47608
that looks great.. veal definitely one of our faves.. wait till you get a t-bone..

Reactions: Goonergal

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I am very jealous. I am having fish today as I am trying to clear the freezer of items nearing their use by date and it needed eating up. Not a fish fan at all unless it us battered and comes in paper with chips and gravy But once it is gone it is gone and I will not buy any more.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi everyone
ive got a 1.5 kilo beef rib idont know how to add a foto..... so its got four short ribs about three inches thick a lot of fat nice dark beef from a good butcher cost about a tenner....whats the best way to cook this please ..the last beef i cooked was like shoe leather! @bulkbiker @Goonergal anyone ..appreciated....{i havent got an air fryer..}

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi everyone
ive got a 1.5 kilo beef rib idont know how to add a foto..... so its got four short ribs about three inches thick a lot of fat nice dark beef from a good butcher cost about a tenner....whats the best way to cook this please ..the last beef i cooked was like shoe leather! @bulkbiker @Goonergal anyone ..appreciated....{i havent got an air fryer..}

Reverse sear it - assuming it’s ribeye. If it’s short rib, slow cook it. Either in a very low oven for about 3 hours or so, or in a slow cooker for a bit longer than that.

(Nb to add a pic, click on upload a file below and select photo. They can’t be too large - my IPad automatically gives me the option to make it smaller).

24047EEB-7638-4D69-B58B-005E742CA573.jpg

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks @Goonergal and @bulkbiker they were flank cut short ribs i sort of followed a gordon ramsey youtube video cut into four ribs and braised in a covered pot for about four hours and rested for another half hour.....nice,,

Vidar

Fascinating thread, struggling to read through all of it today as I've had a migraine again! Never used to suffer with them but they are becoming a common occurrence, among many other things sadly. Reading through all of your posts has certainly raised a lot of questions for me but also made me very hungry lol I didn't think eating a entirely carnivorous diet was possible and while I probably won't be mega strict I'm certainly believing this might be better for me than trying straight Keto.

Most veggies make me either nauseous or physically sick and the ones I did like such as red peppers I've eaten so frequently I now have gone completely off them. Apart from type 2, I also have low testosterone, an as of yet not diagnosed stomach issue; I can't remember the last time I passed anything solid, have now regular migraines and constant lack of energy. Every day feels like I've had the hardest work out of my life and due to mobility issues I spend most of my time essentially bed ridden.

Keto helped me lose quite a lot of weight last time but this just sounds like it will fit me better and might hopefully be the answer I've been looking for all my life.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Vidar

Sorry to hear about your migraines - mine vanished on keto and there’s a merry little band of us on here for whom that’s true. Hopefully you’ll be joining us.

Fire away if you have any questions.

Reactions: Vidar

Vidar

Thank you, I guess my main question is about calories and nutrients. I used a keto calculator to work out what I should be having, 20g Carbs etc to lose weight and it set my calories to around 1,900. Which I've logged in to my fitness pal.

What I'm finding is with eating carnivore I'm consistently going over in everything but the carbs and I'm really not eating much for me. For example 500g of roasted chicken wings with a drizzle of olive oil to cook and sprinkled with garlic powder was over a thousand calories on its own.

Is there a decent calculator for carnies? Or need I not worry so much as some stuff I've read suggests?