Anyone stop having migraines since going low carb/losing weight/controling sugar

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bildad, one of these was dark chocolate, but while I've never tried higher than Lindt 85% cocoa since low carbing, I can now definitely occasionally scoff a whole 100g bar without any problems

One thing my consultant used to say to me was ‘don’t feel guilty’. In his view very often the foods commonly viewed as triggers - and he was specifically talking about chocolate in my case - are not the real culprits. Rather, the ‘pro-dromal’ phase of migraines can often make you hungry/cause blood sugars to drop and therefore have you reaching fir something like chocolate. Then when the pain develops, the food item gets blamed, when in fact the migraine was already in progress. Always found that fascinating and tend to agree with the benefit of hindsight.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Occasionally I still get migraines.
Me too, but I think my eye prescription has changed as |I get a headache when I where them and not when I don't wear them, but sadly cheese gives me a migraine that will last a week or more, so cheese if off the menu for me :grumpy:

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Me too, but I think my eye prescription has changed as |I get a headache when I where them and not when I don't wear them, but sadly cheese gives me a migraine that will last a week or more, so cheese if off the menu for me :grumpy:
I think its the milk fats that cause mine as I can not have cows milk products, feel pants after and heady

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
For me a really bad side affect of rampant diabetes was continual headaches / eye aches. Must now be 5 years plus since the last. LCK fixes all sorts of things.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I used to have terrible migraines ! Pins and needles down one side blinding headache ! Vomiting absolutely awful in fact they were same symptoms I use to get when suffering from concussion ( ex rugby player) , however these stopped about 1 year after I was diagnosed as type 1

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I felt a migraine coming on and went to get the tablets but found the bottle empty I sometimes had to warn my first husband to go out of the house as I really felt I might do him harm.
I was allowed to have 5 of the tablets - I can't remember what they were now, but they were the only thing which helped. I had to take two to start with and then the other three at intervals - except I never could because they just vanished away before I needed them. I began to check the bottle regularly and ask for more, but in the end the Dr refused to prescribe any more as he was taking them so frequently.
The pain was like having a spike through my skull.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coincidentally I've just had 3 humdinger in three days.
First was Saturday about 8pm, meal had ben turkey burgers in lettuce, visual disturbances, numbness in hand and arm , total pain. Put it down to film I had just watched that involved a lot of drumming
Sunday about 8pm just after low carb meal of pork and above ground veg and a glass red wine. Again string visual disturbances, lost use of hand and lips. Pain
Thought maybe it was the wine
But woke this morning with pain, vision loss followed and hand so slept morning away. Now just have the pain.

I've checked an am in ketosis, have only eaten low carb. Havent had 3 days in a row for years. Really fed up as hoped not having them would be a lasting effect of keto and low bg.:banghead:

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coincidentally I've just had 3 humdinger in three days.
First was Saturday about 8pm, meal had ben turkey burgers in lettuce, visual disturbances, numbness in hand and arm , total pain. Put it down to film I had just watched that involved a lot of drumming
Sunday about 8pm just after low carb meal of pork and above ground veg and a glass red wine. Again string visual disturbances, lost use of hand and lips. Pain
Thought maybe it was the wine
But woke this morning with pain, vision loss followed and hand so slept morning away. Now just have the pain.

I've checked an am in ketosis, have only eaten low carb. Havent had 3 days in a row for years. Really fed up as hoped not having them would be a lasting effect of keto and low bg.:banghead:
Mine have increased in length and regularly span 3 days, sometimes more and less sometimes constant but effectively one continuous migraine.
Not sure if you’ve ever been told but aspirin, ibruprofen or naproxen (nsaid’s) tend to work much better than paracetamol if they are ok for you. Something to do the with different action and anti inflammatory action. I always take some of these alongside the prescription stuff (which works better the earlier it’s taken I take as soon as I get a hint of aura way way before the headache). And even on their own, in a push, can hold a mild one down somewhat til I can get to the good stuff at home

Reactions: MrsA2

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I used to have terrible migraines as a child and they stopped with my diagnosis as type 1.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine have increased in length and regularly span 3 days, sometimes more and less sometimes constant but effectively one continuous migraine.
Not sure if you’ve ever been told but aspirin, ibruprofen or naproxen (nsaid’s) tend to work much better than paracetamol if they are ok for you. Something to do the with different action and anti inflammatory action. I always take some of these alongside the prescription stuff (which works better the earlier it’s taken I take as soon as I get a hint of aura way way before the headache). And even on their own, in a push, can hold a mild one down somewhat til I can get to the good stuff at home
Thank you. I take sumaptrptin (wrong spelling) at first sign and that often stops it with a sleep. I've been trying ibuprofen as well today.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I take sumaptrptin (wrong spelling) at first sign and that atoften stops it with a sleep. I've been trying ibuprofen as well today.
I used to take that. Stopped working and now on rizatriptan (maxalt). Hope the ibruprofen helps. It’s so miserable when you have a migraine.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
I grew up with Hemoplegic Migraine but they totally stopped after menopause started, then they came back about 2011. I'm 68 and still have symptoms of menopause, or so I thought menopause. Now I think they are somehow linked to my T2. But since I've started the low carb, some days more like full-blown Keto, I am getting at least 2 migraines with only the pain in my left temple (no aura, numbness in arm, aphasia, nausea). So too much tylenol lately. This is since diagnosis Jan 20, but really didn't do super low carb until about 2/8/21.

I am hoping this is a passing thing.