Eye Tests

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Most opticians, including Spec-savers would tweak your prescription a tiny bit from the last one and sell you a new pair of glasses. It’s all about money and probably a universal practice!
Not universal luckily, problem with eye tests is that its actually a fair bit of guesswork. But many shops I have gone to have made small changes but didn’t recommend change when it’s small unless I wanted a style change

but you can easily go to multiple shops and get different prescriptions. It’s a good reason to try and stick with same person I have found

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubby always insists on Oakley lenses which VE do stock.. I just get the cheapies..(still expensive of course).
I can’t have Oakley as my astigmatism exceeds 3 in one eye which is hugely disappointing as they do the best for sunglasses in my opinion.

The optician was able to go to a different supplier for more custom mirrored wrap around style in Oakley frames though. I do like me mirrored lenses! But I miss all the amazing Oakley colours

The astigmatism also means needing thinner, plus I need anti reflect and I want xtra active and now am in varifocals, so it adds up. Even before adding the darn frames

but I like wearing glasses and I like changing my look every year, cause I’m odd!

I do know the markup of lenses is massive. If I didn’t have a concern on my prescription I’d buy online

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have checked the NHS website for 2020 and glaucoma and diabetes are mentioned again for free eye sight tests however Specsavers still states that it is only certain income categories and that even if one has a family history of glaucoma one now has to satisfy a low income requirement or age criteria to get the free eye sight test. I could not download the Specsavers site page but have a look at it under criteria.
I just had a specsavers eye test. They told me 2 yearly were free as a diabetic (unless the optician says more often). It used to be annual. I’m pretty sure your branch have it wrong. I remember checking the criteria afterwards as I thought it was still annual and hadn’t expected to pay. Although my prescription had changed it wasn’t enough to recommend new glasses or else the test would have been free! So much for specsavers trying to force you to buy new glasses. I actually said I wanted new ones but no dice.

The retinopathy check is annual and totally separate, and free on the nhs.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Regular eye tests are free Ives used both specsavers and vision express without charge just pay for my glasses

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Regular eye tests are free Ives used both specsavers and vision express without charge just pay for my glasses
As others have indicated on the thread, free every other year unless you are advised more regular via the optician. This has changed, it used to be yearly

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have indicated on the thread, free every other year unless you are advised more regular via the optician. This has changed, it used to be yearly
This was my experience too last summer, with an unexpected bill as a result. Previously annually was free

Plumbaphil

I use Boots opticians and get the peripheral vision test, pressure test check and the photographs (as per the hospital retinopathy test), and the standard 'read the chart' (although it's digital now) eye test and have never been asked to pay for anything since becoming diabetic.

Personal choice, but I intensely dislike Specsavers and believe that even a person with perfect vision is going to go home with a pair of glasses.
Spot on assessment of specs avers. Even before my diagnosis I used them once and never again. Salespeople first, opticians second

Reactions: Staffie_

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Eight years ago I went to Specsavers as my vision had deteriorated rapidly. I explained my concerns, had my eyes tested and left with a pair of glasses for which I paid. A couple of months later I was diagnosed with Type 2. At no point did the optician realise that my vision had deteriorated markedly in a matter of weeks and that this could be an indicator!
I now have a useless pair of glasses.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would definitely recommend an independent optician so has his own reputation to uphold and can build up a knowledge of their customer.Mine has recommended seeing my GP about a spot on my nose which proved to be a skin cancer.Also when I had distorted vision contacted my GP who sent me to the hospital for a check to.see if I had had a mini stroke .I get a very thorough examination and reasonably priced glasses
Carol

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been going to Specsavers for years and never had a problem, they seem very thorough and I have never been pressured into having new glasses. It is worth noting that Specsavers is a franchise and they employ over 3,500 opticians so experiences will differ. Similarly recommending using a local optician is not much help unless you state which one as no doubt they vary.

JeanetteM1

I have been going to Specsavers for years and never had a problem, they seem very thorough and I have never been pressured into having new glasses. It is worth noting that Specsavers is a franchise and they employ over 3,500 opticians so experiences will differ. Similarly recommending using a local optician is not much help unless you state which one as no doubt they vary.

I’m getting a diabetic retinal examination at the hospital in the morning

JeanetteM1

I’ve just had my eyes tested at specsavers but it’s not diabetic testing of the retina

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Where did you see this?
Retinopathy tests are still happening, never heard of GP demanding

eye tests are still free, but every 2 years rather than yearly. That is the only change I’ve heard of. However my father had glaucoma (and I’m over 40) which I think is still yearly, but I might be wrong on that one

looks like I am, it all depends on if the optician recommends sooner:
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...nts/how-often-can-i-have-a-free-nhs-eye-test/

So if this has been changed can you point to where
I have Glaucoma, and in fact had that for several years before diabetes. My examinations are always annually with an invite to attend, and were always free. Before diagnosis of glaucoma I also had free yearly examinations due to having two relatives with the condition.

Roach70

I use Boots opticians and get the peripheral vision test, pressure test check and the photographs (as per the hospital retinopathy test), and the standard 'read the chart' (although it's digital now) eye test and have never been asked to pay for anything since becoming diabetic.

Personal choice, but I intensely dislike Specsavers and believe that even a person with perfect vision is going to go home with a pair of glasses.
The only time I have to go to Specsavers is when the DVLA require me to do a periferral vision test. The DVLA revoked my licence so, after 40 years accident free driving, I am no longer mobile. Quite a shock. I was not impressed with the way they carried out the test but the DVLA have a contract with them. I have a few months to appeal.

AngeBhoy

Hello there, I failed my field vision test in January at specsavers and like yourself can no longer drive, been type 1 for 53 years and am gutted I can't drive any more, it's another thing that diabetics have to do but non diabetics don't get checked, where's the help we need for this?

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71 and EllieM

Ricku2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm with you on that, i use boots opticians and they are far better than Specsavers.

Reactions: urbanracer

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been going to Specsavers for years, even before diabetes diagnosis. They’ve always been thorough, I have peripheral test, the glaucoma test and usual sight test. They always write down my prescription so I can go elsewhere for my specs if I want to. All free since being a diabetic. I have the retinopathy test every year at a local nhs clinic.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been going to Specsavers for years, even before diabetes diagnosis. They’ve always been thorough, I have peripheral test, the glaucoma test and usual sight test. They always write down my prescription so I can go elsewhere for my specs if I want to. All free since being a diabetic. I have the retinopathy test every year at a local nhs clinic.
Same here except I go to an independent optician.

Reactions: MissMuffett