Diagnosed today, in shock

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told, “They like all diabetics to take statins”. I refused.
You certainly can bring your levels down on a low carb diet. I was diagnosed at 100. Take cheer and feel encouraged to try. Good luck.
I was told that about statins as well when diagnosed 8-9 years ago. I took them and my Hba1c rose from 48 to 54 which decreased to normal levels when I came off them due to other side effects

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had rather drastic reactions to the Metformin and Atorvastatin I was prescribed. It took several years to recover physically and my memory is probably back now - for some years I was rereading books as though it was the first time but in the last few months I have been remembering more. It is over 4 years since diagnosis.
I am just susceptible, probably a lot more than most, but they really ought to be a little more careful - I never needed the medication in the first place, but I have had to relearn a lot of songs and music.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
I had rather drastic reactions to the Metformin and Atorvastatin I was prescribed. It took several years to recover physically and my memory is probably back now - for some years I was rereading books as though it was the first time but in the last few months I have been remembering more. It is over 4 years since diagnosis.
I am just susceptible, probably a lot more than most, but they really ought to be a little more careful - I never needed the medication in the first place, but I have had to relearn a lot of songs and music.
It seems I read somewhere my cholestrol may come down from the low-carb diet?? I so hope so since it runs high once in awhile. I tried diet changes the first time I got a high reading in about 2000. It was 300 something then too. I just have a gut feeling that getting off all those lovely, killer carbs might cure a lot of ailments.

I'm sensitive to many things they've tried me on for different issue. So I turn them down if I really think I am making the right decision, your situation was obvious, hell, you were poisoned imo. I believe in Diet and exercise, and deficiencies we can maybe replace, alternative medicines as well. I also believe in conventional because I don't know that I would have survived without my pacemakers, had 3 since 97. Fortunately, no pills required, so far ;)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was told that about statins as well when diagnosed 8-9 years ago. I took them and my Hba1c rose from 48 to 54 which decreased to normal levels when I came off them due to other side effects
Do you ever get the feeling we are guinea pigs :nailbiting: I can do low-carb, but I hope I never see Soylent Green on the shelves. That will be the day you see me boiling an old boot for supper:playful:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems I read somewhere my cholestrol may come down from the low-carb diet?? I so hope so since it runs high once in awhile. I tried diet changes the first time I got a high reading in about 2000. It was 300 something then too. I just have a gut feeling that getting off all those lovely, killer carbs might cure a lot of ailments.

I'm sensitive to many things they've tried me on for different issue. So I turn them down if I really think I am making the right decision, your situation was obvious, hell, you were poisoned imo. I believe in Diet and exercise, and deficiencies we can maybe replace, alternative medicines as well. I also believe in conventional because I don't know that I would have survived without my pacemakers, had 3 since 97. Fortunately, no pills required, so far ;)
When I abandoned the 'cholesterol lowering' high carb diet as I was almost spherical and had just been diagnosed type 2 I went back to the same diet as I had eaten when doing Atkins, and just as Dr A wrote, my cholesterol went down.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That would be more like Keto right @Resurgam ? I like it, went through my cupboards and hauling out some foods tonight. The Food Bank will appreciate them. All good stuff just high carb.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It was certainly ketogenic, but 50 gm of carbs a day.
I just by not checking, was not eating over 33g per day, and now I'm use to it I think. I have to make sure I'm getting enough fuel from my meats and fats so keeping better track of my food diary. I still feel energetic so guess I am doing ok. I know when I'm not eating enough because I get really tired. This happened a few years ago when I was able to work out with weights but I pushed a bit too hard without eating enough.

Bash_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
So today I received a telephone call from my doctor saying that I have been diagnosed type 2 diabetic, shocked to say the least... My blood sugar levels 100...I have every intention of doing everything in my power to reverse this, how realistic is this? Ive seen success stories on here but but I have an appt tomorrow to check height, weight etc and collect prescription for metformin & statins... Would these be normal meds?
Am a bit overweight but have always been a believer in everything in moderation, that will be changing...
Also with current lockdown should I or shouldn't I be shielding??? Dont know where to begin tbh
Only my opinion.
Better to be shielding and safe. We do need to be all here at Christmas.
Gluten free foods may help you with diet less carbs etc , but if its any constellation, I've been t1 for 47 years 40mml 5.8 and following Dafne principles) , it doesn't stop me doing anything (within reason that walking trip to the artic cancelled) so if you have to got to insulin don't panic, it isn't the end of the world. Best Regards

Reactions: Mrsg11

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Interesting, something else to read upon, DAFNE Principles. Just did a quick Google so far to get the jest of it. Thank you for the info. Although I didn't see anyone truly panicking, except on my first post, because I was scared. That was from pure lack of knowledge about Type 2 Diabetes. I was also shocked at the diagnosis because I am as active as I am, and I was on healthy foods, except what I thought was not an excess of carbs. Thanks to this site, and the folks that share what they know, most from their own experience, I am doing good.

I still think I must be having some "cleaning out" going on and may be causing the headaches early a.m. They aren't the migraine that dibiliate me, they feel more like the old hangover I used to have in my 20s ;)

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Mike d, I think its all just a bit overwhelming at the minute, but information is key, have no idea tbh why the statins but have an appointment 2mo with hcp so guess i can ask then. Any tios on things i should definitely be doing or not, GP has advised me not to monitor as thats more in keeping for type 1!!
I was told not to monitor aswell and also told to eat reduced fat food , the nurse said go buy reduced fat yoghurt etc but I came back with won't that have extra sugars in .. she never answered , do your own research I have found this site so good for advice and info and I did my research about the stations which they tried hard to get me on, I refused, apparently they give stating to all diabetics now sue said . Good luck and we are all here to help xx

Reactions: Mrsg11

Mrsg11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only my opinion.
Better to be shielding and safe. We do need to be all here at Christmas.
Gluten free foods may help you with diet less carbs etc , but if its any constellation, I've been t1 for 47 years 40mml 5.8 and following Dafne principles) , it doesn't stop me doing anything (within reason that walking trip to the artic cancelled) so if you have to got to insulin don't panic, it isn't the end of the world. Best Regards
Thanks @Bash - hard when there is so many differing opinions re shielding, will speak to doc some more 2mo re this. Thanks for the tip re gluten must check that out, have been doing low carb for last few days so far so good but still early days, hoping low carb & increase in exercise will help...

Mrsg11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told not to monitor aswell and also told to eat reduced fat food , the nurse said go buy reduced fat yoghurt etc but I came back with won't that have extra sugars in .. she never answered , do your own research I have found this site so good for advice and info and I did my research about the stations which they tried hard to get me on, I refused, apparently they give stating to all diabetics now sue said . Good luck and we are all here to help xx
Thanks so much maxjoe121!!

Itchentofish

So today I received a telephone call from my doctor saying that I have been diagnosed type 2 diabetic, shocked to say the least... My blood sugar levels 100...I have every intention of doing everything in my power to reverse this, how realistic is this? Ive seen success stories on here but but I have an appt tomorrow to check height, weight etc and collect prescription for metformin & statins... Would these be normal meds?
Am a bit overweight but have always been a believer in everything in moderation, that will be changing...
Also with current lockdown should I or shouldn't I be shielding??? Dont know where to begin tbh
Hi There - so you received exactly the same phone call I received on the 18th January this year! I was given exactly the same advice as you and asked to start metformin and statins (I have started neither). Coming to this site really helped me start to make sense of my T2 diagnosis and looking at other peoples stats gave me hope and encouragement. My first blood test on the 4th Jan came back at 66 and I knew when they asked me to repeat 2 weeks later that something was up. I went on a very low calorie diet on the 11th and my second test came in at 62 on the 18th. I have purchased a glucose meter and a ketone meter which is helping me track my levels. This is my seventh week of dieting and have already dropped 16kg - my blood pressure is down considerably and my fasting glucose is between 5 - 6.2 which represents a very significant improvement. Having read and watched many videos recommended by the members on this site I found Prof Ben Bikman the most informative as his explanation of why carbs are the number one enemy for T2 patients instantly made sense. Once I have completed my very low calorie diet (2 weeks to go!) I will start a very low carbohyrate diet and start eating the foods I love again (whilst continuing to drop weight). What this forum does is make you realise that you are not alone and there are many contributors who have years of experience of taking control of their own bodies and putting T2 into remission rather than accepting that T2 is a progressive disease requiring increasing medication until one day your life ends prematurely. Significant changes are required in the way you eat (at 51 I accept that I got away with eating anything I wanted all my life and the weight and blood glucose are a reflection of that) which is a small price to pay to head off the effects of T2 on your long term health. I am in no way medically qualified so you must only do what you feel comfortable with and in consultation with your GP, however I am looking forward to my blood test in 2 weeks time and the conversation with my GP following it (who was sceptical to say the least when I told her I would significantly reduce my weight and glucose levels in 8 weeks). Best of luck in your endeavours and remember your health is in YOUR hands not necessarily somebody elses.

Tannith

BANNED
· https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation

· Hear all about from Professor Roy Taylor the 5 minute summary.

· • Type 2 diabetes is a potentially reversible condition
• If a person has type 2 diabetes, they have become too heavy for their own body (nothing to do with the arbitrary concept of obesity)
• Weight loss of around 15kg is necessary for most people
• This can be achieved using a simple 3-step method: the 1, 2, 3 of diabetes reversal
• Type 2 diabetes is most easily reversed to normal in the early years after diagnosis
• How and why type 2 diabetes happens can now be understood

· Read Richard Doughty's personal story Type 2 diabetes and the diet that cured me on the Guardian website, including a video interview of another personal story. You can also read an update from Richard, I reversed my diabetes in just 11 days, on the Mail Online.

· Information for your doctor