High amount of insulin

Milson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, just wondering if anyone can give me any sort of advice.

I am 24 years old (17 half stone and approx 6ft) and have had diabetes since I was 8, I have a relatively good hba1c of 49 but I use an incredible amount of insulin

I use a tslim pump and dexcom and currently use a cartridge (around 250-275 untis) in a day and half. I know that they shouod last 3 days and wonder if im the only one with this problem?

My usage has always been high, but seems to just keep increasing, does anyone also take alot of insulin (as the only people I have ever met seem to take considerably less compared to me) and also with it seemingly increasing and not stopping at some point will it not be viable to have insulin anymore? Thanks any input is apreciated

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Milson, and welcome to the forum!
I use between 110 and 160 units a day between my basal and bolus, so only just a bit less than you do. I was dignosed just over 4 years ago and my dose has been creeping up over the years. I'm not particularly worried about this, as long as it does the job.

I know some T1's use metformin to help with insulin resistance, and I also know there are some people who need much higher doses than we do.
Have you spoken to your diabetes team about your worries? My endo doesn't seem worried by the amount of insulin I need so neither am I, but it can be helpful to mention it on your next visit :)

Milson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77 thank you for the reply, its good to hear im not the only one having a high amount of units and puts my mind at ease a little and no I haven't ill have to speak tp them about it thanks!

Reactions: Antje77

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I suspect you have high insulin resistance as your weight implies you have a high BMI? If so you need to reduce the carbs in your diet BUT whilst lowering the carbs you need to check your BS regularly as your insulin needs should reduce as your resistance reduces. This is to reduce hypo risk.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Milson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Daibell Yes I do, i wish it was easy but I seem to be always hungry no matter how much I eat, any suggestions to reduce my carbs but also not feel starving?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
It’s the insulin that makes you hungry! When I was on insulin that’s how I felt all the time I was also told by my dsn that this would happen. I was so happy to come off insulin as I also had gained a lot of weight too!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Daibell Yes I do, i wish it was easy but I seem to be always hungry no matter how much I eat, any suggestions to reduce my carbs but also not feel starving?
When you lower the carbs you need to up something else, so more fats and/or protein. Bacon and eggs for breakfast instead of cereal, a nice dollop of cream or butter with your veggies, chicken legs with the skin instead of chicken breast, cheeses, nuts, avocado, pork scratchings, full fat greek yoghurt, any of those things sound tasty to you?

Just a word of caution: do you dose according to the carbs you eat? It's very important to adjust your insulin when you lower the carbs!

Last edited:
Reactions: Milson

Milson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you some great ideas going to put some to the test and look for low carb alternatives just ordered some chia seeds