Managed Artic Chill

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Guys,

Here in Texas this week we have been out of power and heat for a week due to unusual cold weather, -13.8889 Celsius in the mornings. The problem I had was that I did not have power to cook and all of the restaurants were closed as well, so I could not eat what I would normally eat. The only thing I could eat was carby food. The good news was that I was able to keep my blood sugars around 4.7 fasting and 5.8 two hours after meals.

I learned a great deal from previous culinary rebellions how I reacted to carbs and when the numbers started to creep up I would fast for that meal and or would touch certain foods. I also believe my regular swimming also lowered my insulin resistance to a point that I could manage things.

I am not proposing that regularly consuming carbs is alright, but I will say the better you manage your blood sugars the greater the margin you have to deal with things when everything goes wrong.

I forgot to mention that there was not any way to exercise because no power and iced over roads ........

Things are warming up now .........

Formally The Human Popsicle

Dave

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Dave. I have friends in Texas and it sounds grim. Well done on your involuntary carbohydrate experiment and for sharing the experience.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a bit like having infections. Out of our control and we just have to ride it out.

Stay safe, it has been horrendous for the state.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Good result Dave on the BG numbers and glad you're warming up over there. Sounded awful...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We had snow for a change this year, in fact it actually snowed for about five hours in all, so unusual.
However not as bad as 1963. It was under freezing for roughly three months, the river froze, and all the old pipes froze and burst when it thawed.
Beware of the thaw, sometimes it can be worse than the freezing snow and ice.

Take care, stay safe.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
We had snow for a change this year, in fact it actually snowed for about five hours in all, so unusual.
However not as bad as 1963. It was under freezing for roughly three months, the river froze, and all the old pipes froze and burst when it thawed.
Beware of the thaw, sometimes it can be worse than the freezing snow and ice.

Take care, stay safe.
I remember going though a "ravine" at the age of 4.5 that February, supposedly "helping"
my father dig his way to the coal heap. Closest I've been to Narnia!

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I remember going though a "ravine" at the age of 4.5 that February, supposedly "helping"
my father dig his way to the coal heap. Closest I've been to Narnia!

Me and my brother had to go to the depot about two miles away to get coal for the fires, we used an old pram to carry it home. No central heating in our house!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me and my brother had to go to the depot about two miles away to get coal for the fires, we used an old pram to carry it home. No central heating in our house!

or anyones if you're on about the 60s and 70s and later! The good old days eh! :)

Reactions: lucylocket61

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to mention that there was not any way to exercise because no power and iced over roads ........

Cut an old pair of socks & pull them over your boots or shoes?
They will get a little wet but grips the ice, so you are less likely to loose footing.

Back in the Victorian winters we had, my grandfather still wanted to head off down the pub?
He'd toddle back safe & sound after his pint.. ;)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Cut an old pair of socks & pull them over your boots or shoes?
They will get a little wet but grips the ice, so you are less likely to loose footing.

Back in the Victorian winters we had, my grandfather still wanted to head off down the pub?
He'd toddle back safe & sound after his pint.. ;)

The local pubs all had the local kids to clear the pavement outside the pubs.
Mind you if you get pocket money for doing such things, it was worth it, I used to use table salt, if me mum wasn't watching and trample over the path, surprising how quickly the ice goes. The local Dockers would supply the spades and other tools to use. The locals which because of the area had plenty of watering holes, and some of them, it would have been advisable to steer clear of. Sawdust and spitoons, I kid you not. You wouldn't see the borough's work men to clear the roads and pavements for quite a few days, they were too busy working in the posher areas, or counsellors streets. Still the same, now!

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Good result Dave on the BG numbers and glad you're warming up over there. Sounded awful...
I had a good single malt left over from my virtual Burn's Birthday and a dram and it helped !!!!!

Reactions: BRSBRI

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys,

Here in Texas this week we have been out of power and heat for a week due to unusual cold weather, -13.8889 Celsius in the mornings. The problem I had was that I did not have power to cook and all of the restaurants were closed as well, so I could not eat what I would normally eat. The only thing I could eat was carby food. The good news was that I was able to keep my blood sugars around 4.7 fasting and 5.8 two hours after meals.

I learned a great deal from previous culinary rebellions how I reacted to carbs and when the numbers started to creep up I would fast for that meal and or would touch certain foods. I also believe my regular swimming also lowered my insulin resistance to a point that I could manage things.

I am not proposing that regularly consuming carbs is alright, but I will say the better you manage your blood sugars the greater the margin you have to deal with things when everything goes wrong.

Things are warming up now .........

Formally The Human Popsicle

Dave
Glad you have thawed out. Have been to Texas several times and realise how extreme it all was for you. And to lose power too!
Weather events can often serve to remind us how much we rely on power and infrastructure. Well done on managing the big D as best you could

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glad you have thawed out. Have been to Texas several times and realise how extreme it all was for you. And to lose power too!
Weather events can often serve to remind us how much we rely on power and infrastructure. Well done on managing the big D as best you could
Thanks ....... I treated the problem as an engineering problem and started working the problem one step at a time

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been born and brought up in Yorkshire I have boots with 'town and country' soles, also add on studded strips for really bad weather, gloves with two layers, two types of insulated jacket depending on the weather, multilayer leggings, face masks, and I have two camping stoves and a sack of charcoal with firelighters and a suitable hearth on legs to burn it in. There is also a conservatory on the side of the house where I could cook, and the house is on a ridge, way above the likelihood of flooding. I have candles, matches and lighters, torches and a lot of extra duvets. I know where the taps are to turn off various parts of the water supply, or cut off the house completely.
I remember 1963 - I walked to school, and it was miles. I got told off for being late. The snow was knee deep and I had to walk all the way back home again. in the afternoon.