Tendonitis

Magneto2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had foot problems for quite some time now, and am only now thinking that this could be connected to being T2. When the first lockdown happened in March 2020 I had just started physio on my foot. Previously I’d been told it was tendonitis but this physio was stumped. I was due to have an mri but that didn’t happen.

Basically, there was no event which damaged my foot, it just popped one day and was incredibly sore, and I was unable to put weight on it for several weeks. I rested it but it’s still not right, although I can walk on it again. I’ve rested it, tried stretching exercises and gentle exercise, but it’s still not got significantly better. Have others had issues with tendons and is there anything else I can try? It’s frustrating as I want to exercise more but some days it just seizes up and is too sore. Thanks

Reactions: Nirac

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had similar muscle/tendon problems. Some of my injuries go back a very long way. Can't definitely associate them with T2, though. However, I've noticed that anti-inflammatories work well on the pain, and inflammation and diabetes are strongly linked. In addition, old and forgotten injuries have a way of reappearing out of the blue, without me doing anything to aggravate them afaik. I've found that heat works well to relieve pain and increase mobility - both the hot shower type of heat and being somewhere that isn't cold and wet.

Reactions: Magneto2009

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Nordic walking poles as they make a big difference to how far I can go and how safe I feel on the uneven pavements around here. My back needed realigning for a long time and has never recovered completely even though it is so much better than it was. Using the poles can actually stop it hurting, as they take the strain off everything below the ribs.

Nirac

I’ve had foot problems for quite some time now, and am only now thinking that this could be connected to being T2. When the first lockdown happened in March 2020 I had just started physio on my foot. Previously I’d been told it was tendonitis but this physio was stumped. I was due to have an mri but that didn’t happen.

Basically, there was no event which damaged my foot, it just popped one day and was incredibly sore, and I was unable to put weight on it for several weeks. I rested it but it’s still not right, although I can walk on it again. I’ve rested it, tried stretching exercises and gentle exercise, but it’s still not got significantly better. Have others had issues with tendons and is there anything else I can try? It’s frustrating as I want to exercise more but some days it just seizes up and is too sore. Thanks

Hi there - sorry to read if your problems . I’ve just been reading a book - Older Yet Faster by Keith Bateman & Heidi Jones ... she is a podiatrist & has some simple excellent foot exercises that are helping me ... look them up on you tube? . She says they will help tendon issues. They also recommend transitioning to ‘barefoot’ type shoes - which I’ve started doing as really want to avoid another ankle/knee injury - so far I absolutely love the flat soled shoes & wish I’d stated using them long ago. Good luck getting your tendons healed