Just been told to shield

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it’s strange. I may have said above, using my postcode I must shield (assuming GD falls under type 2) - if I use my in laws postcode I don’t need to shield. I can’t get my head around what that actually means thought. I get that statistically i am more at risk, but am I REALLY more at risk because of my postcode? Is it assuming I’m living with 10 other people who are putting me at risk, when I’m not? I mean I just dont understand it.
I have mixed feeling about postcodes and health assessments. Yes living in a socially deprived area does mean more chance of having poorer health outcomes. But if those health conditions (diabetes, obesity, smoking, etc) are already being counted in the algorithm then it’s double dipping the risk isn’t it? On the other hand the likelihood of working in occupations that expose you to more risk or living in crowded housing isn’t in this particular covid algorithm so it’s more relevant there. Surely addressing these issues individually for example looking at occupation and size of household, prevents huge assumptions being made the the risk actually being yours as opposed to an “average” of everyone around you.

Last edited:

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
My shielding seems to be my postcode.
When I used my mums postcode and same everything else it was 67.
When I put in a weight that made my BMI 22 so perfect But my own postcode it was 70
When I put my actual weight so above bmi and my own postcode it’s 71. So my weight didn’t make much difference,

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
clearly a coding error!! Saying that, it says “as long as they’ve had their checks” ... where do you draw the line? Type 2 can develop whenever!!

Last hba1c August 2020 was 30 but if I’ve smashed the carbs since then i could in theory be in the diabetic range now.
Same for every diagnosed type 1 and 2 though. Many haven’t had checks and data is outdated.

Doireallyneedanams

The bottom of the NHS update says GD mothers must get their checks for type 2 etc, considering how many mothers I’ve read that hadn’t even heard of it tells me the GP’s are in for a huge surge of hba1c requests.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I then got rid of the diabetes and with my weight and postcode I’m 47/100. If I put my weight back to 22 bmi it only goes to 46.
So the diabetes is a biggie. It’s all very confusing

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NHS Digital have updated this. Still don’t get it.
Nor me.

I think it’s saying if other factors are also high enough, the fact that you “might” be type 2 means shielding (unnecessarily if you are not in fact type 2 and in an abundance of caution).

Presumably and hopefully those confirmed diabetics not being told to shield have lower “other” risk factors outside of the diabetes question.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My shielding seems to be my postcode.
When I used my mums postcode and same everything else it was 67.
When I put in a weight that made my BMI 22 so perfect But my own postcode it was 70
When I put my actual weight so above bmi and my own postcode it’s 71. So my weight didn’t make much difference,
The score out of 100 isn’t the threshold fact. Can’t work out what it’s purpose actual is.

It’s the absolute risk of death from covid (above 5%) or the relative score (above 10).

For example my score out of 100 is also 71 and I’m not shielded.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I was only told to shield last week.
I was t last year, in fact dr told me it was fine for me to work because she didn’t see me as that big a risk (as long as I was ultra careful and stayed away from crowds etc)

this one is the one without diabetes and 22 bmi no idea what it means

Attachments

• 7DF207E5-1B92-49A8-A43F-061403FA715F.png
    7DF207E5-1B92-49A8-A43F-061403FA715F.png
    662.5 KB · Views: 124

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
And this is with correct info

Attachments

• DBF25A9A-BDAC-43A9-B9C9-4601BC5B9C7F.png
    DBF25A9A-BDAC-43A9-B9C9-4601BC5B9C7F.png
    551.5 KB · Views: 135

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the NHS risk, those levels are not enough to be put in shielding.
  • an absolute risk of 0.5% (or 5 in 1,000)
  • a relative risk of 10 (or 10 times the baseline risk)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
According to the NHS risk, those levels are not enough to be put in shielding.
  • an absolute risk of 0.5% (or 5 in 1,000)
  • a relative risk of 10 (or 10 times the baseline risk)
I have no idea what the numbers mean. But nhs England sent me an email last week to say I was no shielding,

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea what the numbers mean. But nhs England sent me an email last week to say I was no shielding,
Yes, there are some inconsistencies. The discussions on here are trying to understand. So, what has become clear is there are definitely areas in some cases (gestational diabetes in the past triggering shielding where it possibly shouldn't) and as has been determined, lower age and T2 is seen as a higher risk even though that, to me, seems wrong. But it's a bit of conjecture and discussions

People who consider themselves, and their doctors too to be healthy enough are being asked to shield. But NHS data could easily be out of date..: It's all very confusing

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well according to that you should not meet the criteria and not have got the letter. Neither your absolute or relative risks are above the thresholds.

Has your dr and your medical records got the same information? It might be old or wrong information.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was only told to shield last week.
I was t last year, in fact dr told me it was fine for me to work because she didn’t see me as that big a risk (as long as I was ultra careful and stayed away from crowds etc)

this one is the one without diabetes and 22 bmi no idea what it means
Irrelevant really, as neither are you or your risk.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Well according to that you should not meet the criteria and not have got the letter. Neither your absolute or relative risks are above the thresholds.

Has your dr and your medical records got the same information? It might be old or wrong information.
It should be up to date. This dr I only had since I got diagnosed.
I moved here 31/7 and was in hospital on 11/8 with kidney stones and diabetes diagnosis. Only reason they discharged me on the Saturday was if I registered with a new local dr first thing on the Monday ( as I’d just moved I hadn’t yet changed drs). This dr only knows me as a diabetic, so my records should be accurate.
My last hb1c was 58 in nov up form 54 and my weight had dropped about 1/5 a something small (kg I think).
Now I’d expect my hba1c to have dropped as I’ve been amazing diet wise, but my weight is about the same. im aiming to ring dr in the week (after my jab) to ask why and see if I need to shield, at the mo in lockdown doesn’t bother me as I’m pretty much shielding anyway, but I’d need to go back to work whenever that is allowed to happen.
Also aiming to get new bloods done end March so that I can see what good I’ve done with the extra strict diet and before I have to go back to work,
But yes sorry, waffling on. I can’t see why records would be out of date because everything is newish, in order for them to know about the type 2 it must be up to date. Unless they included the 2 lots of kidney stones

Doireallyneedanams

Well, if anything at least this scare has put me off the after dinner Rich Tea’s that had crept back in to my diet.

Chicken salad & cheese for the next 40-50 years it is.

It’s also been clarified that type 2 alone is not enough risk to shield, but type 2 + other factors is.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have access to your GP medical records on line? If you are in England it is very likely you would have if you ask to be registered for this. It is possible your GP has coded you with some sort of kidney disease due to the stones. A look at these records would tell you.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Do you have access to your GP medical records on line? If you are in England it is very likely you would have if you ask to be registered for this. It is possible your GP has coded you with some sort of kidney disease due to the stones. A look at these records would tell you.
I use patient access with the drs which I can order meds and make appts etc but it doesn’t give access to records.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use patient access with the drs which I can order meds and make appts etc but it doesn’t give access to records.

Me too. Two weeks ago I could see my records, now I can't! It will only allow me to order meds like you. x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You have to have requested it.

if you haven't done that then it won't let you see them...

Just found this on mine..

Must now be a marked man..! Or maybe it's a warning for the docs...

Last edited by a moderator: