Wedding Day Management - Type 1

floml123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place to post, so apologies if not! I'm getting married next year and keep thinking about how my diabetes is going to impact my day. We're getting married in Italy (so heat and lots of carbs!).

I've been type 1 for 20 years, manage using insulin injections. Control is pretty good, last HBA1C was 56 mmol/mol. I usually use libre sensors, though am certain I will swap back to blood tests for the weekend, so testing will be less frequent and more effort than normal. I'm worried about lows during the day, how to carry around my kit, and blood from injections getting on my dress!

Can anyone share their experience of managing their diabetes on their wedding day, or have any tips?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place to post, so apologies if not! I'm getting married next year and keep thinking about how my diabetes is going to impact my day. We're getting married in Italy (so heat and lots of carbs!).

I've been type 1 for 20 years, manage using insulin injections. Control is pretty good, last HBA1C was 56 mmol/mol. I usually use libre sensors, though am certain I will swap back to blood tests for the weekend, so testing will be less frequent and more effort than normal. I'm worried about lows during the day, how to carry around my kit, and blood from injections getting on my dress!

Can anyone share their experience of managing their diabetes on their wedding day, or have any tips?

Hi,

Congratulations. :)

OK. this is coming from a married guy's perspective. Who still remembers our big day.
I'll be honest with you. Our wedding was not the usual classic set up. There was a cake but it was modled on a Jap import van..
I carried my kit in a jacket, (lucky the tester was an all in one Accu-Chek Mobile.) my wife kept a bit of hypo treatment handy in the little bag she had with her too..

I didn't have Libre back then. Or a smart watch. If you are concerned about the Libre ruining the line of your dress? Why not place it inside the arm.. The device you use to scan. Invest in a cover that will compliment your attire. (Or even a smart watch reader?)

I feel once the ceremony is over the rest of the day will be less "formal." So treat it like you would on a night out.

Best wishes to you both.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For one day I'd run slightly high. Check bloods just before it all kicks off (stash of jelly babies in car and perhaps with a bridesmaid?)

I wouldn't normally recommend checking in the loo but it's peace and quiet and you're less likely to get drops on your dress with a basin and tissues around! Can you carry a little white bag post ceremony with your gear in it?

floml123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Congratulations. :)

OK. this is coming from a married guy's perspective. Who still remembers our big day.
I'll be honest with you. Our wedding was not the usual classic set up. There was a cake but it was modled on a Jap import van..
I carried my kit in a jacket, (lucky the tester was an all in one Accu-Chek Mobile.) my wife kept a bit of hypo treatment handy in the little bag she had with her too..

I didn't have Libre back then. Or a smart watch. If you are concerned about the Libre ruining the line of your dress? Why not place it inside the arm.. The device you use to scan. Invest in a cover that will compliment your attire. (Or even a smart watch reader?)

I feel once the ceremony is over the rest of the day will be less "formal." So treat it like you would on a night out.

Best wishes to you both.

Thanks for the reply! Hadn't thought on wearing sensor on the inside of the arm - have you done that before?

floml123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For one day I'd run slightly high. Check bloods just before it all kicks off (stash of jelly babies in car and perhaps with a bridesmaid?)

I wouldn't normally recommend checking in the loo but it's peace and quiet and you're less likely to get drops on your dress with a basin and tissues around! Can you carry a little white bag post ceremony with your gear in it?

Yes good shout, would rather run slightly high for a day than risk going low. Think a small bag or friends bag may be the way forward for the kit. Thanks for the input!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply! Hadn't thought on wearing sensor on the inside of the arm - have you done that before?

Yep. i do it all the time. Tee shirt & gigging less chance of "what's that on your arm?" questions. :)

Reactions: floml123

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @floml123

Yes agree to finding an alternative site for the libre and definitely wearing it too, I wouldn’t switch to meter as i’d want to just scan whenever it suited me, t’d use top of thigh too which is concealed, just a thought :)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I wear my libre sensor on my belly it works fine , if your sugars run a tad high for the day it won’t be the end of the world ,
Just remember to enjoy your day , keep some hypo treatment , and it’ll be fine
Congrats and good luck

Reactions: Juicyj

bmtest

Wedding day is just business as usual with respect to diabetes it's a lot easier than a day at work.

floml123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wear my libre sensor on my belly it works fine , if your sugars run a tad high for the day it won’t be the end of the world ,
Just remember to enjoy your day , keep some hypo treatment , and it’ll be fine
Congrats and good luck

Thanks! Haven't tried it on my belly before I will give it a go!

floml123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @floml123

Yes agree to finding an alternative site for the libre and definitely wearing it too, I wouldn’t switch to meter as I’d want to just scan whenever it suited me, t’d use top of thigh too which is concealed, just a thought :)
Thanks for the advice! Yes would much rather wear it if possible as would make it much easier, though not keen on it showing in pictures so thigh could be a good alternative :)

Reactions: Juicyj

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, congratulations. I’m getting married next year, also abroad in Cyprus so expecting it to be quite hot like yourself. I’m probably going to get absolutely ripped to pieces here, but for one day I won’t be worrying about it. Don’t get me wrong I’ll still be taking my insulin & checking my readings before the wedding but once that party is started and the vows are done with I’ll be enjoying myself. I won’t be getting my phone out trying to figure out how many carbs are in a piece of wedding cake or how many carbs are on my plate full of food from the bbq. I’ll take a very rough dose just higher than I normally would, if I do start to go low I’ll have 20,000grams of carbs around me in cupcakes wedding cake buffet food redbull from the bar etc.
If it runs high I’m sure it’ll not kill me, I’ve ran high plenty of times on normal days.

I use a Medtronic insulin pump with there CGM, not sure if I’m going to swap to injections for the day or run with the pump. Upto now my plan was to stick with my pump & just unplug myself for the photos so I don’t have cable handing.

floml123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, congratulations. I’m getting married next year, also abroad in Cyprus so expecting it to be quite hot like yourself. I’m probably going to get absolutely ripped to pieces here, but for one day I won’t be worrying about it. Don’t get me wrong I’ll still be taking my insulin & checking my readings before the wedding but once that party is started and the vows are done with I’ll be enjoying myself. I won’t be getting my phone out trying to figure out how many carbs are in a piece of wedding cake or how many carbs are on my plate full of food from the bbq. I’ll take a very rough dose just higher than I normally would, if I do start to go low I’ll have 20,000grams of carbs around me in cupcakes wedding cake buffet food redbull from the bar etc.
If it runs high I’m sure it’ll not kill me, I’ve ran high plenty of times on normal days.

I use a Medtronic insulin pump with there CGM, not sure if I’m going to swap to injections for the day or run with the pump. Upto now my plan was to stick with my pump & just unplug myself for the photos so I don’t have cable handing.

Thanks for your advice, and congratulations to you as well! Yeah think you're right about not being too stressed about testing etc for one day. I'm more worried about going low than high really so thinking I will take less insulin and run slightly high for the day, but as you say there will be loads of food and drinks around if needed. Hope you have an amazing wedding day!!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your advice, and congratulations to you as well! Yeah think you're right about not being too stressed about testing etc for one day. I'm more worried about going low than high really so thinking I will take less insulin and run slightly high for the day, but as you say there will be loads of food and drinks around if needed. Hope you have an amazing wedding day!!

Have a great wedding! Just don't wear your libre on your inner thigh or you may get some funny looks when testing! x

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your dress is sleeveless or has short sleeves then maybe turn your sensor into a matching feature - e.g. cover it with an armband with a flower or similar decoration on it to co-ordinate with your dress and bouquet. I remember some years ago someone doing something similar.

Try also Googling for diabetic weddings for more advice - one suggestion is to have a suitable pocket added to your dress - but my thought is to have a look instead at ideas based on the old fashioned chatelaines for holding your essential equipment/supplies, e.g. http://www.thisvictorianlife.com/blog/my-new-chatelaine-belt

Enjoy your great day!

35yearsofType1

Hi everyone,

Congratulations!!! I always put my libre on my thigh rather than my arm (I was knocking it off all the time!) and accuracy is the same as on your arm. Also I wear a pump and with out sounding crude I hook it onto my nickers rather than my bra then it is easier access when out and about - on my wedding day I just went to the loo to adjust my insulin rather than lifting my skirt up in public!

Good luck xx