Breakfast

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You will find keto cereals advertised, but they contain ingredients that I wouldn't eat. You have to factor in the milk too.

If you google keto granola bars they are seriously good. I didn't follow the recipe exactly as I didn't have all the ingredients. I just made sure the total weight of nuts and seeds were the same as the recipe.

Reactions: StellaC

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
True cereal - none. but there are recipes for home made, (keto) breakfast cereals try ditch the carbs or diet doctor or just google keto cereals for millions of recipes

StellaC

True cereal - none. but there are recipes for home made, (keto) breakfast cereals try ditch the carbs or diet doctor or just google keto cereals for millions of recipes
Great thanks, new to all this and have no idea what to eat anymore, used to eating bread and pasta x

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are wanting to try low carb/keto food, just google what ever it is you want with keto before it. I've found courgetti(zoodles) a reasonable pasta replacement (doesn't really taste like pasta but makes a good holder for the sauce) Bread is my downfall, nothing I've tried is the same but there are alternatives eg a big lettuce leaf as a wrap, chaffles (basic recipe is a cheese omelette cooked in a waffle maker until crispy), large mushrooms instead of a bun for burgers. Have a look at @JoKalsbeek 's nutritional thingy for loads of ideas.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Aldi (UK) do a Paleo Muesli that is 7g carb per serving. I have it occasionally with almond milk.

Reactions: Speedbird

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try starting with limiting portion size and cutting out one of the carb heavy foods, for instance say pasta, just eat the sauce and sprinkled cheese, possible more than you would have if with pasta. Take it slow there is no need to rush, diabetes is a marathon not a sprint. Better to go slow and succeed than set yourself unattainable goals. Buy a meter and test before your meal, 1 Hr after and 2 Hrs after, you will soon see what gives you a big glucose rise and what does not. Look at Diet Doctor and/or join the low carb programme on this site. Finally, 'cause it's a hell of a lot to take in keep in touch with this site, there is an enormous amount of good sense here and a lot of people who have been where you are, some of whom have put themselves into remission. If you want to you will succeed and find your way.

StellaC

Try starting with limiting portion size and cutting out one of the carb heavy foods, for instance say pasta, just eat the sauce and sprinkled cheese, possible more than you would have if with pasta. Take it slow there is no need to rush, diabetes is a marathon not a sprint. Better to go slow and succeed than set yourself unattainable goals. Buy a meter and test before your meal, 1 Hr after and 2 Hrs after, you will soon see what gives you a big glucose rise and what does not. Look at Diet Doctor and/or join the low carb programme on this site. Finally, 'cause it's a hell of a lot to take in keep in touch with this site, there is an enormous amount of good sense here and a lot of people who have been where you are, some of whom have put themselves into remission. If you want to you will succeed and find your way.
Thank you

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@StellaC Hello. I find breakfasts tricky but I have been making low carb blueberry muffins. 6g of carbs per muffin and one is enough for me. They are made with sweetener instead of sugar, plain Greek yoghurt instead of butter and ground almonds instead of flour. I have previously ordered keto bars. I hope you find something that fits the bill for you.

Cltchris

I make a kept bread using ground almonds....for breakfast, it is brilliant. No spike, just a continuous flat line on blood sugars. Add egg, bacon, tomatoes, mushroom etc for a wholesome healthy breakfast.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been refining a microwave keto English muffin for a while now. It's not perfected yet. I started with a "Paleo English muffin" from the web, but I've been tweaking some stuff to try to get the texture improved. Adding some flax and extra water made a big difference. Corrects some of the graininess and dryness of the original recipe. If I ever get it right I'll post it here. I always have it with a round-egg, old cheddar and either a sausage patty or some crispy bacon.

xxrubywxx_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I find granola isn’t so bad, how ever boiled eggs, smoked salmon, melon and ham? If I’m feeling really hungry and need something Carby (because some people do) I have smoked salmoj and egg which is very filling and have one small slice of gluten free bread.

I agree finding the right breakfast food is very hard it’s something I’ve struggled with for a long time

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have 4 weetabix on the days I’m not at work and 3 bananas and a yoghurt when I’m at work.