What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HeliGary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Load eating , idiots.
5.2 after 12 hour fast at 05:00.

Off to work early again today for a repeat of Saturdays trip to East Midlands.

Walking on return for 4K as on a rest day from running, legs are slowly recovering.

Running tomorrow !

Nirac

Hi I’m newly diagnosed as type 2, no medication yet. I’ve been My morning blood sugars ( now taken immediately I get up having read the thread at start of this chat ) seem high compared to everyone posting here, it was 9.2 at 06.12. today & rarely under 7. I’m trying to eat low carb, no alcohol & nothing after 8pm. What works for you to get it under 7? Thanks

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m newly diagnosed as type 2, no medication yet. I’ve been My morning blood sugars ( now taken immediately I get up having read the thread at start of this chat ) seem high compared to everyone posting here, it was 9.2 at 06.12. today & rarely under 7. I’m trying to eat low carb, no alcohol & nothing after 8pm. What works for you to get it under 7? Thanks
Welcome @Nirac . The silver bullet doesn't exist in this game. Everyone is a unique experiment. In general, people keep carbs as low as they can tolerate and move about as much as they can. Test before eating and 2 hrs after - aim for <2 rise. Then they come on here next day all disappointed - or elated. You'll be fine and fit in perfectly.

Last edited:

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Hi Nirac,

What do you mean by trying to eat low carb?,do you count the amount of carbs you consume each day ?Its pretty tough in the beginning to get used to giving up on carbs ,but as time goes by it becomes second nature [well almost]. You dont have do do it "cold turkey" so that you can do it gradually but within a strict time table. You will probably need to go somewhere between 20-50 grams /day. Nobody can say exactly as we are all different. Best to write down everything you eat and see which foods you can best tolerate. Look up the nutritional values of all the foods you eat. Get started and ask plenty of questions,remember that there are no stupid questions,just stupid answers. I wish you excellent progress with your efforts.

Nirac

Thanks - I’ve been doing intermittent fasting( Dr Jason Fung fan ) for a couple of years but not always consistently & my husband has been type 2 for 20 years ( on insulin g go or last 3 yes) so I’m fairly aware of dietary choices etc.

I’ve been aiming for under 100g of carb a day in a 4 -8 hour eating window ending 8pm & ‘clean’ (water plus black tea & coffee) fast usually 8pm - 12 noon minimum.

I was diagnosed end of Jan this year, asked for hba1c test as couldn’t seem to keep weight from creeping up. Late onset T2 does run in my family.

I do quite a bit of exercise & can now happily do a 26m bike ride whilst fasted. I’m probably around 10-15 kg over ideal weight & approaching 57yrs old.

Really want to delay or avoid medication etc if I can. Have read up lots but advice can be varied. Being diagnosed has motivated me to treat this really seriously - my mother sadly had vascular dementia along with diabetes & other issues, so I’d like to avoid that if it can.

Having read other threads I see people take blood sugar immediately on waking & so I started doing that & noticed how high mine are in relation to other people. Maybe the ‘Dawn’ high levels is something I’m prone to, so seems a sensible thing to monitor.

I’ll also start testing pre & 2 hour post meals to see what’s happening there. Random sampling can see me anywhere from 3.9 to 12, so at the moment I’m definitely way outside of an ideal variation of ‘2’ .

This is all interesting- I feel a bit like a science experiment. Fascinating how everyones biology can be so different but also how we can learn and change/affect what is happening.

Thanks for all advice & information