running out of energy whilst doing exercise

tinykangrooo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello l am after some help with a problem that l cant seem to solve .
I am a type 2 well controlled last hb1ac was 36 l am also asthmatic with sports induced asthma and age 55 female my problem is that l just run out of energy when doing my chosen sports cycling swimming and hiking it doesn't seem to matter what l do lm just running out of energy and don't want to be constantly eating glucose /sweets to try give me that fast boost ,l eat a decent breakfast and even the night before pasta but when l start to exercise my blood sugars just drop so much faster; any one with any tips or suggestions
many thanks Jo

Reactions: Nirac

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why not look into a keto diet? Once you have adapted into ketosis you have a whole body-full of fat for your metabolism to munch on - even very lean people have much more energy tied up in fat reserves than you could hope to pre-load with carbs. An endless supply, to all intents and purposes, when exercising. No need to top up with glucose and carbs, just make sure you stay hydrated. I find I need to warm up slowly while my body kicks into gear, but after 10 mins or so of feeling a bit feeble I’m good to just keep going.... and going...

Reactions: Nirac and ert

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Ditch the junk and go with nutrient dense choices, like meats, cheeses, nuts etc etc.

SarahEN

It sounds like you should see the doctor & jusr check everythings OK. You shouldn't need to eat extra pasta to avoid your energy levels running out. You liver should dump more glocose into your system when you exercise & generally blood glucose levels go up with intense exercise - even in non diabetic thats generally the case

How long after you start exercising do you run out of steam?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am a type 2 well controlled last hb1ac was 36 l am also asthmatic with sports induced asthma and age 55 female my problem is that l just run out of energy when doing my chosen sports cycling swimming and hiking it doesn't seem to matter what l do lm just running out of energy and don't want to be constantly eating glucose /sweets to try give me that fast boost ,l eat a decent breakfast and even the night before pasta but when l start to exercise my blood sugars just drop so much faster; any one with any tips or suggestions
many thanks Jo

I'm an insulin resistant T1 (dad is T2) so I have something in common with you. (I've never had an hba1c as low as 36 since diagnosis age 8 but that is a T1 issue). Eating glucose as a T2 seems counter productive (your body can't cope with carbs) so a few questions'
1) what medications are you on
2) how many carbs in a typical day

Nirac

many thanks Jo

Hi Jo - I’m newly diagnosed T2 57yr old female & do lots of exercise - 20-30 mile cycle rides, 10 mile walks & 5 miles cycles ( no swimming atm) several times a week. My hba1c been up to 49 twice in last year , hence diagnosis. I used to have energy issues too, but started Intermittent Fasting - see Dr Jason Fung - and got up to regular 18-20 hr fasts & now happily exercise fasted ... did my first ever half marathon run whilst fasted. When eating I try & eat low carb with lots of healthy fats .... ‘Keto like’ rather than full in Keto. That has certainly helped with the ability to exercise at good energy levels.
I let stuff slip a bit over lockdowns & now getting back into much healthier living ... T2 was a genetic likely for me due to family history. Maybe I’ve delayed it with diet & exercise. I’m now back in full attention & looking to get my hba1c down & kept down with Intermittent Fasting, exercise and healthy low carb diet in eating windows.

Hope you find out what works for you, we are all different so need to keep learning, trying and monitoring the outcomes. I’m new to this forum but love that people are so helpful & open.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
many thanks Jo

Hi tinykangrooo, you say your glucose levels 'drop so much faster', is that evidenced by a finger prick test or just the feeling you get of 'no energy'? It could be down to something other than dropping glucose levels I suppose, especially given you are a 'certain age' (like me!!!). x

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @tinykangrooo
Have you see the thread about Dr Ian Lake (a T1) and some other T1's and T2's running 4 marathons in 5 days all completely fasted except for glucose tablets for the T1's when in danger of a hypo.

That is what very low carb ca do by getting you fully fat adapted so you can use body fat s fuel. Even very skinny people carry much more available fuel as fat under their skin than they could possibly do in the form of carbs/glucose.