Type 1 and Fasting

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I am always plagued by a few extra kgs of subcutaneous fat and definitely gained too much in the past year! I haven't tried intermittent fasting since before my T1 diagnosis, but now starting on 5:2 protocol. I will use black coffee and some salted bone broth to keep me going through the early days. I'm mostly fairly low carb when eating as any carbs seem to spike me and mess with my ratios. On my second 36 hr fast. I use my G6 to keep careful eye on going too low, plus occasionally check my ketones.

Hoping to increase my insulin sensitivity as well as lose the padding!

Reactions: Jaylee and Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am always plagued by a few extra kgs of subcutaneous fat and definitely gained too much in the past year! I haven't tried intermittent fasting since before my T1 diagnosis, but now starting on 5:2 protocol. I will use black coffee and some salted bone broth to keep me going through the early days. I'm mostly fairly low carb when eating as any carbs seem to spike me and mess with my ratios. On my second 36 hr fast. I use my G6 to keep careful eye on going too low, plus occasionally check my ketones.

Hoping to increase my insulin sensitivity as well as lose the padding!

Hi,

I suppose you can test & possibly tweak your basal into the bargain, too?

Best wishes.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Completed second fast (37 hours). Pragmatically did feel tired and slightly hungry but stayed well hydrated. Broke fast with bacon and eggs. Amazingly I have lost 3 kg since lockdown peak weight and feel (very slightly) thinner. Aware at least 2 kg loss is probably just less retained water! 2 kg more loss needed to get to pre lockdown size, then the really hard challenge to shift the remaining fat inches but also build muscle and strength.

Reactions: EllieM and TashT1