Type 2 and shielding letter

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi pipp

I’m finding this all very informative and reassuring, I’m sorry I never joined sooner it great. I’m looking for something, anything to present to my GP stating the guidance for HCP’s state that >79 HbA1c would put you in the shielding category (as loopercat has posted earlier) and other members have advised. My GP knows nothing about this and had advised to social distance (work on ward in a hospital, so almost impossible) my current HbA1c (2wks ago) was 85 and had an episode of Ketoacidosis at the beginning of the year.
Hi, @MGALL you caught me before I drop off to sleep. Sorry I don’t have the answer, but if you ever need to contact a specific member put @ immediately before their user name, so that they get an alert. I will do that now for @LooperCat , and hope she gets back to you.

a thought has occurred to me, though, that maybe would give you some reassurance. That is, perhaps you need to speak with your line manager, and / or HR management in work, as people I know of who work in hospitals , who have health conditions have had risk assessments, and if necessary been moved to areas more able to distance themselves. Some have been sent home, leave , if they are considered vulnerable.

Hope you can get some reassurance. Though I think your GP ought to have more knowledge and understanding of your situation.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the tag, @Pipp - I saw the guidance in a link @Brunneria posted the other day - in a publication for GPs called Pulse Today. However it’s now been locked down to doctors only, so I can’t access it. It stated specifically that an HbA1c of over 79 or a DKA in the last year would put you in the shielding category.

Reactions: Pipp

fatrats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
current confusion regarding life in general
Thanks for the tag, @Pipp - I saw the guidance in a link @Brunneria posted the other day - in a publication for GPs called Pulse Today. However it’s now been locked down to doctors only, so I can’t access it. It stated specifically that an HbA1c of over 79 or a DKA in the last year would put you in the shielding category.
Hi Loopercat. My gp today says that my HbA1c of 80 is not highly vulnerable to me this morning. I am a keyworker in social care. My husbands gp put him in shielding category yesterday due to age and underlying illness and said that HbA1c of 75 was the number which made you highly vulnerable. I hope my gp is just behind the times with which list she is looking at. Feeling very stressed and would love to be able to work fro home as many others are doing already.

JESSICA18

Hi all,

I received a letter from my gp practice yesterday telling me to stay at home for 12 weeks, I spoke to my gp and she said it's because of my high hba1c levels (recently diagnosed) has anyone else has a letter or heard of this? I can't find anything online to support it.

Many thanks
i have type2 and other underlying issues should i have received a sheilding note as not received 1