Has anyone here been a diabetic for more than 40 years?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Will reach the big 40 on Sept. 1st this year, have a few complications main one is lost my leg 6 years ago , sounds horrendous but could have been so much worse. To be honest was totally my fault , I was the one wh said diabetes will not change my life . I put that down to pig headedness along with being young and inexperienced. Luckily I was always fit and still am. It saved me . If I a really badly controlled ex drinker smoker can do 40 years anyone can . I am now a much more experienced older individual who takes his bloods etc etc , and feels confident that I will make 50 years of “ jabbing”
I never feel sorry for myself at losing my leg or for having diabetes, I just get on with it , it’s deffo not the end of the world, I am never bored even during the lockdown , I do more with one leg than some do with 4 . I retired when I lost my leg and I now don’t know how I had time to go to work..lol I just adapt which let’s face it is what life is all about.
Diabetes T1 is with you for life how you chose to live that life is up to you , I tried to unintentionally to throw mine away , not any more . Onwards and upwards ... shake a leg as they say lol hehehe
Stay safe and take care
“ the force is strong with this one “

Huw_Appleby

Hey everyone! I don’t post on here much, but I do read the comments and topics.

I’ve been T1 for 27 years now, diagnosed when I was five, I have no complications apart from a bit of minor retinopathy work which was solved by laser treatment.

For those who worry and are scared, take time to read these messages they will have a huge impact on your state of mind, I love reading the positives stories that come out of this community, I only wish I could read new ones everyday.

My advice is simple... Check your blood and do your insulin, yes you’re going to have days when it’s up and down for no apparent reason it’s happened to me many a time, but... I ALWAYS check to bring it back to an optimal level!

The average life expectancy is a load of pants in my opinion, there are so many people on here alone who are smashing it well into their 60’s 70’s 80’s etc, imagine how many others are out there that don’t contribute to websites like this.

It hasn’t stopped me from doing anything, and it never will! You are all amazing, we’re a team! Keep up the fantastic work everyone ❤️

fiveamp

This might be writing much you have seen, But Ive been been type 1 for 60 years now.
The beast advice I can give you is see the hospital consultant to get the best and most up to date treatment in the UK you may need to be malleable with the truth just a bit but it really pays dividends to your stability. I got the Freestyle libre and pump a few years ago and it changed my life for the better. So much its hard to believe.
Wen I was diagnosed my life expectancy was into my 40 ish years but hell still here cant do as much as I used to in my 20 sumat years. If you dont take the risk you get know where wishing youi all the best

Lizeard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been type 1 for 53 years, and am surprised I made it this long!! I was terrible in my teens..... didn't care....my doctor told me he could smell me!!! All that sugar oozing out my orifices!! I have since cared for myself a lot better, and feel the better for it. I so wish I'd taken better care of myself back then, but I guess you don't look too far ahead when you're young. I now have two more auto immune disease's, but nothing I can't manage. There's always someone who's worse off. I'm now 67 and have a great life, thanks to an insulin pump.....it changed my life. Diabetes isn't the worse thing that could ever happen to you. My hb-whatever is 51....I guess it could be better

Reactions: sassycat

stevef67

I have been a Type 1 since the end of 1967, so over 53 years now. It was tough to start with and still presents challenges but I have an excellent Diabetes Resource Centre who are always there for me, and lots of others! I have had a Medtronic Pump for 8 years and their CGM for just over 4. Am about to be upgraded to their new all singing all dancing model so am looking forward to that. Having a pump h as greatly improved my control. I am sure it is not for everyone (you need to be fairly good at maths!) but it has been great for me. Their customer service (patched free through to the USA out of hours) is excellent.

Dianemacfaden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ugliness
I have reached 50 years this year with no complications and 2 healthy children. Consultant is now trying to get me to go on statins at age 60 as my cholesterol levels are creeping up slowly but I am not sure what to do.
Don’t particularly want to take them as I heard the side effects can be muscle pain and I have back and joint problems anyway.
Any advice ?

Dianemacfaden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ugliness
I was diagnosed when I was 6yrs old I have had it 51yrs now I have no complications. My HbA1c is always around 6.5 I was put on a pump 2 yrs ago but am unsure as to whether I will stay on it. It is great as you don't have to remember to take injections with you. I am not sure if I am as well controlled on it.
Hi,I was diagnose in 1959 when I was 11 years.I have got a few complications but I dont let it get me down.
I too am on Novo rapid and Lantus.Just enjoy life.

I have had it 50 years now . Have you been put onto statins?

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I am forty years this October. Diagnosed when 13 years old back in the good old 80's - Billy Idol, Madness, Spandau Ballet, Supertramp, Dr Hook, Bob Marley, The Specials, The Jam, The Cure, Billy Ocean, Alexander O'Neal, Leo Sayer, Boney M and loads of others..

Feeling old now!

I know, I'll listen to some ELO to cheer me up!

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People judging my condition not knowing enough about it.
49 years for me. On an Omnipod and use a Libre sensor. Great advancements in those 49 years.

Reactions: himtoo and sassycat