Low carb and 5:2 diet

Lizzieluvs

Hi I am a recent new diagnosis T2 yet to see the nurse about it and I am looking into things I can do to help my weight/Hba1c and daily blood sugars. I have started low carb staying under 100g for now till I’ve seen the nurse. Has anyone combined low carb with the 5:2 diet? I have been reading that it can be beneficial.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I found that limiting my eating window was more beneficial than limiting calories when I had a lot of weight to lose.
I replaced breakfast with a coffee with double cream (3 over the morning) and didn't eat until lunchtime at the earliest.
Later on I pushed that to a light meal at 3pm then dinner at about 7pm by restricting your window you stop triggering insulin releases and start living on your stored fat which gets burnt off and voila weight loss. Low carb eating will reduce the amount of insulin released too so the combination of intermittent fasting and a ketogenic diet is very powerful.

Lizzieluvs

Personally I found that limiting my eating window was more beneficial than limiting calories when I had a lot of weight to lose.
I replaced breakfast with a coffee with double cream (3 over the morning) and didn't eat until lunchtime at the earliest.
Later on I pushed that to a light meal at 3pm then dinner at about 7pm by restricting your window you stop triggering insulin releases and start living on your stored fat which gets burnt off and voila weight loss. Low carb eating will reduce the amount of insulin released too so the combination of intermittent fasting and a ketogenic diet is very powerful.
Thankyou for the reply so can I ask you did this everyday? Not a 5:2 ratio?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou for the reply so can I ask you did this everyday? Not a 5:2 ratio?

Yes I don't eat before about 3 pm ever and sometimes only one meal per day.

I don't restrict what I eat though just the timing.

The cream with the coffee provides enough satiation to keep me going through the day, fat providing far more satiety than carbs fo example.

It takes a week or two to get used to it but soon can become habitual.. and the results are in my signature.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I don't have any calories at all in the mornings since I went Low Carb and then became fat adapted. I'm not a coffee drinker - I have either a green tea (can't imagine how horrible that would be with either sugar of dairy) or a peppermint tea. I eat lunch on weekdays 2 meals per day and then just a very late lunch which we call 'Linner' on Saturday and Sunday i.e. just 1 meal per day (OMAD).

We did try version of 5:2 back before my diabetes in that we always skipped breakfast on weekends (got up later) and tried to only eat 40% of the calories that we did on weekdays.

Lizzieluvs

I don't have any calories at all in the mornings since I went Low Carb and then became fat adapted. I'm not a coffee drinker - I have either a green tea (can't imagine how horrible that would be with either sugar of dairy) or a peppermint tea. I eat lunch on weekdays 2 meals per day and then just a very late lunch which we call 'Linner' on Saturday and Sunday i.e. just 1 meal per day (OMAD).

We did try version of 5:2 back before my diabetes in that we always skipped breakfast on weekends (got up later) and tried to only eat 40% of the calories that we did on weekdays.
Thankyou can I ask what you mean by fat adapted?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou can I ask what you mean by fat adapted?
It's when you have cleared your body of carbs and start to burn your body fat as energy. It's the marker of a state called ketosis where your body (because you no longer feed it with carbs) switches to fat as fuel. You can probably guess what happens then as your body fat is burnt off.

In case @ianf0ster isn't available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lizzieluvs

SarahEN

I did the blood sugar diet when I was diagnosed, which is lowish carb, 800 calories a day for 8 weeks. Then 5:2 thereafter for a month. The 1st 8 weeks were hard work for both me & everyone around me. Would not recommend unless you are extremely overweight.
Having said this I went into remission & have not gone back into diabetic range in 2 years. So it worked I guess

Now, I follow low carb all the time. I also try to do intermittent fasting a few times a week which sort of ends up being a 5 2 albeit unintentionally. The easiest way to do this is to skip breakfast. I just don't eat until lunch & keep everything else the same. I eat quite alot of green veg, a small amount of berries & then protein, full fat dairy, good fats (nuts, seeds, butter, olive oil, olives) every day.

On a fast day I try to avoid too much cheese as its my downfall. Otherwise I eat 2 meals like normal.

Reactions: Lizzieluvs

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used my meter and checked for the best way for me to eat, and found that once every 12 hours was distinctly the best option - it is why type 2s check, even when advised that we don't need to - when obviously we do.
Everyone is slightly different in how they need to get control.

Reactions: SarahEN