Gliclazide dosnt seem to be working

Hellybell80

Hi, sorry long post.....

I was diagnosed about a week ago.
Probably type 2. But could be type 3 or 1.5. I'm waiting on more tests.
I never had glucose in my urine strips before. I test weekly. (Family have type 2 plus I get water infections alot so dr told me to do urine tests regularly) until just over a week ago. Then all of a sudden I had high amounts of glucose in my urine. Thats when I got tested.

My blood sugars were high. Got myself a meter and kept regularly testing until I saw my nurse. It was high in the surgery 23.6 and again my urine was off the charts.
Had been in hospital for tests as they thing my gallbladder is playing up.
My sugar levels stayed high and my sugar levels first thing are between 14 and 20 before eating. Goes up to 26. My hba1c was 77. Which puts my average sugar levels at 9ish. Which since last week I havnt gone below 12.5. Average 19.9

So the question is can type 2 come on suddenly? As my hba1c dosnt match up to my average of 19.9 over the last 7 days. I've downloaded an app to keep my measurements in and that's the average its given me with a estimate hba1c of 12.8% give or take.

They have given me 40mg of gliclazide x2 a day its been 5 days and it hasn't lowered my sugar levels at all. Is this normal?

Lilylala

Hi hba1c is a average of blood glucose over the past 3 months and the gliclazide will make you pee out the glucose in your urine so will account for high readings on the ketostix
You may of had high blood glucose for a while if you had a reading of 77 hba1c and not known it
As for the medication once they have your test results to see what p pepside you have to see what type you are they will give you the right medication as they usually give to something to start off with ,
as you are not getting lower readings have you tried changing your diet ? Less carbs
Hope all gets sorted soon

Reactions: Hellybell80

Hellybell80

Hi hba1c is a average of blood glucose over the past 3 months and the gliclazide will make you pee out the glucose in your urine so will account for high readings on the ketostix
You may of had high blood glucose for a while if you had a reading of 77 hba1c and not known it
As for the medication once they have your test results to see what p pepside you have to see what type you are they will give you the right medication as they usually give to something to start off with ,
as you are not getting lower readings have you tried changing your diet ? Less carbs
Hope all gets sorted soon
I was getting high readings on the ketosticks before the meds started.
I just wasn't getting any glucose readings before the one a week or so ago. It was tested weekly. Since last week it hasn't stopped being in my urine, with or without meds.

My diet isn't too bad. I dont have much carbs anyway and I don't snack. Last week I wasn't eating hardly anything as my gall bladder was playing up and it was still very high.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My diet isn't too bad. I don't have much carbs anyway

:) That may be a subjective answer. :)

Can you give us a rough idea of what your daily food diary might be?
This would give us a chance to make suggestions if anything could be varied to help you reduce your BG.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
They have given me 40mg of gliclazide x2 a day its been 5 days and it hasn't lowered my sugar levels at all. Is this normal?

Depends on what you have been eating.
Sometimes drugs take a while to kick in.
If you were already weeing out loads of sugar then a drug which makes you wee out sugar may not make much difference in the short term.

Hellybell80

Depends on what you have been eating.
Sometimes drugs take a while to kick in.
If you were already weeing out loads of sugar then a drug which makes you wee out sugar may not make much difference in the short term.
It encourages the Pancreas create more insulin. To help the body use it correctly.I havnt seen any information on those tablets where it makes you wee out sugars. Could be wrong.

As for diet ill have a light breakfast of porridge or a low fat Greek yoghurt. As can't eat much as it cause me to be sick.

Lunch 2 tablespoons of humous and veg sticks.

Dinner grilled meat veg occasionally a cpl (2)of new potatoes.
Sometimes chillie with a tablespoon of cooked rice.

Don't really snack.

Can't have fatty foods like sausages/bacon i don't use pre made food. Cook all sauces myself.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. T2 tends to come on more slowly than LADA but that's a generalisation. You say you have low'ish carbs which is good. Gliclazide should work within 10 hours or so of taking it. 40mg x 2 is a low dose but I'm surprised it hasn't worked at all. I was on 320mg/day, max dose, before insulin. I would ask the GP for the two tests for LADA i.e. GAD and C-Peptide. The latter will tell you whether you have low or high insulin. As Gliclazide works by stimulating the pancreas to produce more insulin it may not work well if you already have a lot you can't use due to insulin resistance.

Reactions: Hellybell80

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It encourages the Pancreas create more insulin. To help the body use it correctly.I havnt seen any information on those tablets where it makes you wee out sugars. Could be wrong.
Oops!
Mixed my drugs up.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

As for diet ill have a light breakfast of porridge or a low fat Greek yoghurt. As can't eat much as it cause me to be sick.

Lunch 2 tablespoons of humous and veg sticks.

Dinner grilled meat veg occasionally a cpl (2)of new potatoes.
Sometimes chillie with a tablespoon of cooked rice.

Don't really snack.

Can't have fatty foods like sausages/bacon i don't use pre made food. Cook all sauces myself.

That does seem to be fairly carbohydrate heavy, in proportion to what else you eat.
It is difficult if you react badly to (some) food.
Are you OK with eggs and dairy?
Eggs for breakfast might be better than porridge, which can take some peoples BG sky high.
Grated cheese or a vegetable such as cauliflower with the chilli?

Hellybell80

Well they had upped my meds to 240mg gliclazide over the day. Didnt touch my sugar levels. Levels just kept getting higher. They decided to put me onto insulin as my weight has dropped 8lbs in a week without trying. I probably lost more then that but I didn't have scales before then. But clothes are looser. (One bonus)
I've started on 10units of lantus today to try to get my levels down somewhat. Took me off the gliclazide as in effective.