Covid shielding e-mail

astle9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone had one? I am quite suspicious of mine, it does end .gov.uk the GP practice have said it is a Govt thing so they cannot help. It has all my correct details NHS number and the like. [email protected] is the address.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone had one? I am quite suspicious of mine, it does end .gov.uk the GP practice have said it is a Govt thing so they cannot help. It has all my correct details NHS number and the like. [email protected] is the address.
Yes, I get them, too. Usually followed a few days later by a letter in the post with the same info.
I used to worry about data leaks. Now I would only be concerned if I was being asked to give my bank details in a random email.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's such a waste of money and paper to send an email and then a letter. Why do they do it when the country and the environment are in such a bad state!! Sorry, rant over.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's such a waste of money and paper to send an email and then a letter. Why do they do it when the country and the environment are in such a bad state!! Sorry, rant over.
I guess they are to ensure those people less tech savvy get the info. Plus the Government and NHS computer systems are not fully connected to each other.

I must admit I tend to take more notice of the paper copies, as emails do tend to get overlooked when they are surrounded by marketing and other stuff that pings into the inbox.
It has been strange. Sometimes text messages, to mobile , telling me to shield , when it all started last year.. Then letters followed. Now it is sometimes emails then letters. Like the personal medical records. Last year advised by surgery to sign up through Patient Access to order prescriptions, etc. Now being told to use MyGP app. Not everyone has the mobile phone with capacity to do that. This pandemic has exposed flaws in systems. I hope they will be addressed and rectified as things calm down and we return to the new (ab)normal. Not holding my breath on that. Though there is plenty of cause for optimism about vaccination.

Reactions: Hopeful34