Not losing weight on insulin and keto

Lipgloss1971

Hi there ,
Can anyone help me .
I’m a type 2 who’s bloods were Pretty much out of control for the last year
For the last month I have been intermittent fasting (18/6)and on the keto regime (barely any carbs )
I have got my bloods down to anywhere between four and eight but I haven’t lost a pound
I take novo rapid and Lantas
I know I must be insulin Resistant but is taking tthe insulin the problem ?
When will I start losing weight ?
My weight shot up by 3 stone When I started taking insulin a year ago and was eating carbs
Starting to get really disheartened

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
18 / 6 is a great eating window, which I do. I saw a good friend of mine increase fat dramatically on insulin as a Type 2. As you are able to IF for so long, it might be an idea to adjust your macros towards fat loss. I am a fan of the P.E. low carb regime by Dr Ted Naiman. The objective is to obtain metabolic flexibility by pulling the levers that increase the optimal lean muscle mass with the minimal fat mass. This doesn't mean becoming a body builder (but essentially that is what we are), but getting the biggest bodily systems working well, which will make us the best version of ourselves.

Essentially Ted's protocol preferences protein to the detriment of carbs and fat, but in an animal low carb based manner. So a steak and mushrooms could be steak, egg and mushrooms or steak, shrimp and mushrooms. The formula is protein divided by energy (protein divided by fat plus net carbs), where 1 or above is suggested. Whereas in LCHF some might use butter liberally, Ted would maybe use the minimum amount for cooking and replace a side of butter with lower fat alternative such as avocado - the theory being less energy.

I think this protocol could assist you, as it should help to shed fat quicker.

Lipgloss1971

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
I will check dr Naiman out .
I’m at my wits end now , I’ve put on nearly 3 stone and just can’t stand it .
I’ve lost weight on keto before but before I was on insulin.
For the last month I haven’t lost a single lbs
thank you again I will give this a try

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I find losing weight on insulin difficult too. I really have to count my calories and eat less than 1000 a day. I use myfitnesspal.com I also intermittent fast.

Lilylala

Hi have you been able to reduce your insulin whilst you have been doing your 18/6 ? Are you able to stretch out your fasting to maybe eat once a day ?
Myself I have been doing One meal a day and at first I was on 30/70 insulin mix and was taking up to 80 units a day after a few weeks I had dropped my dose but half and after 2 months was put onto bolus only as my DR said I didn't need lantus as I only needed insulin before I ate which I am now only on 4 units and have lost 3 stone
The weight lost was gradual some months only 1 lb but I stuck to it as my body was becoming less insulin resistance and needed lest insulin to keep my bs at a good level

I know everyone is different but this is my experience and was not really sticking to low carb either and I have been doing this for over a year now and is a way of life where I can eat what I want but only once a day and injecting very little insulin
maybe worth a try pushing the fasting window out to see if you gain less insulin resistance in return maybe able to start losing weight

best of luck

Reactions: oldgreymare

Lipgloss1971

What were your blood sugars like before you started the insulin.
Did/do you really need it?
Ever had your endogenous insulin production tested?
I was First diagnosed about seven years ago when I was just on Metformin and for about three years I was really good and my A1 C was around about the 5 mark
Then I cut it kind of went off the rails and couldn’t stick to Keto , started back on carbs then got ill with another problem and while I was in hospital they put me on insulin and told me I could eat carbs on it so I carried on, stupidly!
Anyway for the last month I’ve been back to keto ,
And my bloods have gone down from an average of 16 to 8 so it’s going down but not enlighten to get me into fat burning I guess
I take 17 units of lantus and usually I still need 5 units of novo rapid with my meals

Lipgloss1971

Hi have you been able to reduce your insulin whilst you have been doing your 18/6 ? Are you able to stretch out your fasting to maybe eat once a day ?
Myself I have been doing One meal a day and at first I was on 30/70 insulin mix and was taking up to 80 units a day after a few weeks I had dropped my dose but half and after 2 months was put onto bolus only as my DR said I didn't need lantus as I only needed insulin before I ate which I am now only on 4 units and have lost 3 stone
The weight lost was gradual some months only 1 lb but I stuck to it as my body was becoming less insulin resistance and needed lest insulin to keep my bs at a good level

I know everyone is different but this is my experience and was not really sticking to low carb either and I have been doing this for over a year now and is a way of life where I can eat what I want but only once a day and injecting very little insulin
maybe worth a try pushing the fasting window out to see if you gain less insulin resistance in return maybe able to start losing weight

best of luck
Hi there

yes my levels have gone down from an average of 15/16 to 8 so they are going down slowly but clearly not in fat burning mode
Well done on your weight loss
Hope I get there too

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was First diagnosed about seven years ago when I was just on Metformin and for about three years I was really good and my A1 C was around about the 5 mark
Then I cut it kind of went off the rails and couldn’t stick to Keto , started back on carbs then got ill with another problem and while I was in hospital they put me on insulin and told me I could eat carbs on it so I carried on, stupidly!
Anyway for the last month I’ve been back to keto ,
And my bloods have gone down from an average of 16 to 8 so it’s going down but not enlighten to get me into fat burning I guess
I take 17 units of lantus and usually I still need 5 units of novo rapid with my meals
I think you'll find weight loss very difficult whilst on insulin.
I'd be discussing how to get off it with my HCP's and sticking to a very strict keto diet to achieve that aim. Check your blood sugars often though as the last thing you want is a hypo.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you give us some idea of what your current BMI is. Insulin itself doesn't cause weight gain (it can't as it's just a hormone) but it does enable the body to metabolise carbs. What level of carbs are you having each day? I can only suggest you try to force your body into ketosis if you do have excess weight by going Keto for at least a while; exercise will help. There may of course be other medical reasons which may be you need to discuss with the GP.

Lipgloss1971

Hinther
Hi. Can you give us some idea of what your current BMI is. Insulin itself doesn't cause weight gain (it can't as it's just a hormone) but it does enable the body to metabolise carbs. What level of carbs are you having each day? I can only suggest you try to force your body into ketosis if you do have excess weight by going Keto for at least a while; exercise will help. There may of course be other medical reasons which may be you need to discuss with the GP.
Hi there

thanks for your reply ,
I am in ketosis , I have around 10g of carbs a day if that .
I’ve jumped from 13 stone to 16 , I’m 5’8.
Bloods are around 7/8 now
Maybe they are not low enough to burn fat but could that be because I’m taking too much insulin ? Or too little ? waiting for the diabetes care team to get back to me

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Daibell, I wonder whether it's the fact also that adding MORE insulin into a person who (may) already have plenty and be insulin resistant, just adds to the original problem of a 'typical' type 2 (a phrase I hate using so apologies). In other words, if a type 2 gains weight because they cannot process the insulin they produce then is adding extra exacerbating the problem? With type 1 , generally, insulin as you say won't cause weight gain because it's being utilised by the body 'normally'. x

Lipgloss1971

Hi Daibell, I wonder whether it's the fact also that adding MORE insulin into a person who (may) already have plenty and be insulin resistant, just adds to the original problem of a 'typical' type 2 (a phrase I hate using so apologies). In other words, if a type 2 gains weight because they cannot process the insulin they produce then is adding extra exacerbating the problem? With type 1 , generally, insulin as you say won't cause weight gain because it's being utilised by the body 'normally'. x
This is what I was thinking

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what I was thinking
Me too..
This is why for someone already over producing inulin more is rarely a good idea just to control blood sugars.
The underlying problem as Ben Bikman says is hyperinsulinemia that is the issue that needs to be addressed.

Lipgloss1971

Me too..
This is why for someone already over producing inulin more is rarely a good idea just to control blood sugars.
The underlying problem as Ben Bikman says is hyperinsulinemia that is the issue that needs to be addressed.
So I just need to keep on with the keto to try and reverse the resistance ? And obviously speak to my hcp about reducing the insulin

Lipgloss1971

Me too..
Even though if I lower my insulin slightly my bloods go up

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I just need to keep on with the keto to try and reverse the resistance ? And obviously speak to my hcp about reducing the insulin

If you are lowering blood glucose through eating keto then that should help with reducing insulin requirements.
Obviously watch out for low bloods and get your doctor on board.
Maybe refer then to the ViRTA healthcare pages if they are resistant.

https://www.virtahealth.com

They use ketogenic diets to get many patients off insulin completely.

Lipgloss1971

If you are lowering blood glucose through eating keto then that should help with reducing insulin requirements.
Obviously watch out for low bloods and get your doctor on board.
Maybe refer then to the ViRTA healthcare pages if they are resistant.

https://www.virtahealth.com

They use ketogenic diets to get many patients off insulin completely.
Thank you for the info
The bloods are coming down , no idea if that’s the insulin or not but as I lower the insulin the bloods go up a little so no chance of hypos at the minute
Think I need to persevere with the keto

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the info
The bloods are coming down , no idea if that’s the insulin or not but as I lower the insulin the bloods go up a little so no chance of hypos at the minute
Think I need to persevere with the keto

How long have you been doing the keto second time round?
Whilst it can be relatively magical miraculous takes a bit more time!