Shielding letter - all Type 1s?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yeah I asked the receptionist at my doctors about it and they said its based off NHS England rather than themselves and my docs said they did not have anything suggesting I should be shielding as of yesterday, but yeah I'm still not expecting any shielding letter anytime soon.

Just a thought, could it be newer diagnosed diabetics that are being advised to shield and the longer ones, like us, that are being overlooked, left in the corner, forgotten ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hmm yes it seems like it could be the postcode lottery, I'm registered in a fairly dodgy postcode in Brixton (not that there's many non-dodgy postcodes in Brixton!).

I used to live in Brixton a long time ago as a small child.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No they aren't, I'm older than you, also female, in the correct weight band - though now verging on the upper edge of it. HbA1c slightly lower but not by too much (as of November) and I've not been told to shield.

There is some speculation is may also be dependent on where you live

I live in a relatively good area, but not well off, also on Universal Credit too. I work two jobs, but I have been furloughed from one job since March 2020.
After 10 days off with anxiety and a fit/sick note, I return to work on Monday 22nd.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im based in tyne and Wear and I've not had a shielding letter, or any indication that I will.

Ive been diagnosed nearly 4 years now and have a hba1c of 50. And a bmi of 25

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just today been asked by our headteacher, who is quite rightly trying to establish which of her teaching staff will be available as from March 8th, the date for re-opening schools. She knew also that many type 1s had been asked to now shield. She wished to know if that included me.
I am a very nearly 60year old, type 1 teacher, who works in a deprived inner city school. Thus far I have heard nothing and probably won't now. I have now been asked by the head to speak to my gp or consultant to gain clarification.
Clarity seems to me right now something all of us on here need right now.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t heard anything either nor any date for a vaccine. HBA1C around 7% - nearly 50 y/o, mixed race, BMI 24 just, based in Surrey. No other conditions. Whereas a T1D friend who is younger & slimmer has a letter who lives near me! V random. ‍
Different areas and surgeries are moving at different speed for group 6, which all diabetics are in. So as it would appear you are in the same group it’ll be down to that probably for vaccination letters.

If you meant she has a shielding letter then that would be more confusing

Josh1256

Hi I'm a new member recently diagnosed type 1 in mid January this year. I've been given an email asking for me to shield so what was mentioned before of newly diagnosed being asked may have some truth (higher risk as our diabetes is probably not as well managed?) 29, low BMI, white, universal credit also I have had covid-19 and fully recovered, why would we need to shield with covid antibodies in our immune system?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm a new member recently diagnosed type 1 in mid January this year. I've been given an email asking for me to shield so what was mentioned before of newly diagnosed being asked may have some truth (higher risk as our diabetes is probably not as well managed?) 29, low BMI, white, universal credit also I have had covid-19 and fully recovered, why would we need to shield with covid antibodies in our immune system?
The new algorithm makes no mention of length of diagnosis or level of control, financial aspects or previous covid infection.

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HSSS

On the covid list of weighted risk of conditions, is the Townsend Deprivation score, this along with postcode will cover the finance side of things, I think.
Hope this helps.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HSSS

On the covid list of weighted risk of conditions, is the Townsend Deprivation score, this along with postcode will cover the finance side of things, I think.
Hope this helps.
not really. The Townsend score is based on postcode so one and the same thing. They are too generic. It doesn’t show if you have a decent job or are on universal credit. Neighbours could have vastly different financial statements and situations. One house unemployed over crowded and supporting loads of kids, the next a retired senior manager on a decent private as well as state pension supporting no one else.

day007

not really. The Townsend score is based on postcode so one and the same thing. They are too generic. It doesn’t show if you have a decent job or are on universal credit. Neighbours could have vastly different financial statements and situations. One house unemployed over crowded and supporting loads of kids, the next a retired senior manager on a decent private as well as state pension supporting no one else.

Yes but its used here as an estimation of your socio-economic situation in a similar way that they use BMI as a health indicator without actually taking into account if you're a very muscular weightlifter or not.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Back to work today, only 3 children today ( the other child's mum didn't know they were back today ?)
Being so quiet at home, I found it quite noisy this morning, so they were all their usual selves lol
Feeling tired today, but ok and finger's crossed it stay's ok :)
ps one of the mum's had her baby 3 weeks early, a little boy named Nathaniel. :joyful:

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but its used here as an estimation of your socio-economic situation in a similar way that they use BMI as a health indicator without actually taking into account if you're a very muscular weightlifter or not.
Yes and that is my point. It’s an estimate that could easily be grossly inaccurate. Probably even more so than bmi, which I agree is flawed (but most of us are not weightlifters)

Reactions: oldgreymare

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been T1 for 3 years and received my first shielding letter this morning which was a surprise. The only thing that has changed is that I turned 60 last August so expect it is for that reason. Getting first jab on Friday which had already been booked for being in group 6.

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Sorry if I'm being abit thick (every possibility!) Who are you getting the shielding letters from? Is it the hospital yojre registered with? Or the GP? or somewhere else. Just wondering as I've moved and registered with a new GP but unsure if I changed the address for the hospital (whoops!)

Thankyou in advance
I received a letter today from NHS National Shielding Programme on behalf of the Department of Health & Social Care. They say they are informing my GP so that change of address at the hospital might be worth doing.

Unfortunately there is nothing in the letter to help you on who you should contact. My suggestion would be your GP as although they should update your records there is no reason for them to contact you. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have been T1 for 3 years and received my first shielding letter this morning which was a surprise. The only thing that has changed is that I turned 60 last August so expect it is for that reason. Getting first jab on Friday which had already been booked for being in group 6.

I am in group 6, age 63 tomorrow, type 1 for 32 years and no shielding letter. It's a lottery.

Reactions: urbanracer
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Maybe it's down to........................... "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, which diabetic should shielding go" :rolleyes::D

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in group 6, age 63 tomorrow, type 1 for 32 years and no shielding letter. It's a lottery.
Post code and bmi seem to be common differentiators.

Older makes you less likely to be shielded, on relative terms, as other older people without diabetes are already higher risk so the difference is less. I’ve friends and have seen examples on here of people who are younger that are now being shielded because their relative risk is higher, even though their absolute risk is significantly lower than those not shielded. So even though in absolute terms risk of death is higher it doesn’t matter because we’re statistically more likely to die anyway without diabetes. If the overarching aim is to prevent deaths how does that make sense?

happy birthday for tomorrow.

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I am 60 next month, type 1 many years and also a teacher in a high risk city school. No shielding letter either, even though my head thinks I should have had one, as school is back to normal on the 8th of March. I have though recently had my vaccine, so lucky on that one