Shift working with Type 1

powerley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What are peoples thoughts on working shifts with Type 1 ? I work 12 hour shifts 2 days 2 nights and 6 days off and find it easier to control when I am working. Just interested in others experiences.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I worked shifts for over 30 years , both 8 hours and 12 hours , as long as you can take your bloods it’s not really a problem, I was on the Basel ! bolus regime , I never changed my Basel times when I moved from dayshift to night shift just took it at same time and took bolus when I ate

Reactions: powerley

Technician87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great deal really...I'm easy!!
I don't shift work, I just generally work the Monday to Friday and every third week I'm on 24hour call for that week. I'm up at 0600 and get in at 1800 normally, on my feet all day with a good mix of physical and mental activity and I love it!! More so I feel it helps me keep my bloods in a really good range and the routine of testing and eating is a big help to. I struggle on the weekends more than I do during the week. Being active makes a huge difference too.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Normally i'm a "day walker." (Work wise..)

But i did do a stint nights for a while for an active logistics company just before Christmas. Had to reduce my basal by about 24%??
Had to take it an hour earlier too.. Prior, travel to work. One night i forgot the basal & had to blag a 10 hour shift correcting with Novorapid.. I use a CGM set up, regarding monitoring.
Even with the basal reduction, (Normal dose is fine on the day stuff. i had to nudge up recurring lows.
The best shift i actually had was blagging on the Novo.

Now oddly, I've spent years in bands. & normally inject my basal about 2 maybe 3 hours late on a gig night. (Normally it would be about halfway through a set.) It can be pretty energetic. ( we ain't shoe gazers.)
I fair quite well as the Lantus wears off cruising at an altitude of 4.5/5.0mmol.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I’m an hgv driver so can start work as early as 2 am.. I just carry food with me and eat when my body tells me to…. And keep an eye on my big levels don’t find my control any worse