Coming off Insulin?

bigjohn9916

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who use abbreviations without explanation.
text speak.
Has anyone come off insulin and on to metaformin?
The reason I ask is that my Doctor is talking of doing this to me. I have been on insulin since diagnosis as the hospital needed to reduce my blood sugars quickly so I could have a leg saving operation.
After reading all the stories on this forum about metaformin I was wondering if anyone had heard of, or knew of this happening, I need to find a legitimate excuse to stay on insulin. If its never happened then I can use that.

Reactions: Sugersweet

MellitusTrap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi john, I'm new here.
I started insulin only recently, and when I checked with the blood bank they said I can't donate anymore, however, if I stopped getting treated with insulin I can start again.

So, surely, it must happen!

I'm also on metformin.
This drug has curbed my appetite and genuinely saved my life.
Remember, people usually post horror stories and not success stories.

bigjohn9916

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who use abbreviations without explanation.
text speak.
I believe metformin is also used to help make injected insulin work better, but the insulin seems to be working ok for me and I am on a fairly low dose (23 units of Humulin 3 a day) Now my foot is getting better and the infection "seems to have cleared up" this should drop further.
I can also have the occasional treat without having to worry to much about my blood sugar.

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as a suspected T1 in September and put on insulin which brought my blood sugar right down. But it did such a good job alongside changed diet and exercise that I started having hypos and was taken off insulin and put on Metformin starting on 1 tablet a day at breakfast with a plan to increase it over the following weeks so my body would handle it. Well my body handled it fine with only some ocassional bloating and two months later I am still on a solitary tablet which I have at breakfast. My blood sugar levels are still in range which they now put down to me being in the honeymoon phase of T1/LADA.

That is my story and I have read of many others who were started on insulin but came off after a few weeks as there blood sugar came in to range and they started having hypos because of insulin. As for Metformin you tend to hear more complaints about the side effects because when things go bad people become vocal rather than mentioning they use it with no problems. As we are all different I can only say give it a go and see how you get on, if you don't get on well with it speak to your doctor and he should suggest an alternative.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just as you described, it sounds like your doctors prescribed you insulin to save your leg. Why do you feel the need to continue using insulin now?

Insulin can be a slippery slope. Of course, there are the few who are insulin-dependent T2 diabetics. However, there are arguably more people that think they need insulin when the reality is it's a bandaid to their issue. For those people it's a lot easier to give themselves a shot or two of insulin than to make the necessary lifestyle adjustments.

I'm not suggesting you fall into either category, but since you were recently diagnosed, I'm assuming you haven't had much time to assess what does and does not work.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@bigjohn9916
I was put on Insulin (Bolus/Basal) of 28 lantus, 3x18 Novorapid. I have weaned myself off to Glclazide then Diet & Exercise so it CAN be done!
My attitude is that if I ned drugs then I need them, but if my body can produce/regulate my own drugs then that is better than the crude system of artificial drug control of current delivery systems.
Good luck however you proceed:)

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If your insulin needs are now so low i.e. down to just a few units, then may be you don't need to continue with it? If you don't need it you don't need it. Metformin only ever has small effect with or without insulin but may be adequate by itself if your insulin shots are very low.

Sugersweet

The reason I ask is that my Doctor is talking of doing this to me. I have been on insulin since diagnosis as the hospital needed to reduce my blood sugars quickly so I could have a leg saving operation.
After reading all the stories on this forum about metaformin I was wondering if anyone had heard of, or knew of this happening, I need to find a legitimate excuse to stay on insulin. If its never happened then I can use that.[/QUOTE
After reading all the stories on this forum about metaformin I was wondering if anyone had heard of, or knew of this happening, I need to find a legitimate excuse to stay on insulin. If its never happened then I can use that.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As an insulin dependent T1 I would jump at the chance to take metformin instead of insulin (unfortunately my body doesn't make any insulin so this wouldn't ever be an option for me.) Metformin is a very well understood drug that has been around for decades and so doesn't have any unexpected side effects. Yes, some people find it gives them gastric issues but most people are fine on it. I had no hesitation in agreeing to be on a double blind trial to see if it helps T1s for a few years, though of course I have no idea whether I was taking it or not.

And if as a T2 you can take metformin instead of insulin then you may even have the option to drop the metformin in due course. But as a T2 you are already making too much of your own insulin. Injecting more of it may not be the best thing to do unless you really have to.

Good luck.

Reactions: oldgreymare