High blood sugar AM

Lizzieluvs

Wondering why my morning blood sugar is so high? Ate last night at 6 nothing but water since, I’m going to fast and not eat till lunch time but as I’m new to testing I thought I would check when I woke up. Last night before bed was 7.2 this morning it’s 11 very disheartening!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's the dawn phenomenon. Annoying but you can't do anything about it. It will come down in its own time.

Carrie007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My early morning readings have been an average of around 10.8 which is very disheartening. 6 months ago it was usually around 7. I’m hoping to address this next time I have an appointment with my practice diabetic nurse.

Lizzieluvs

My early morning readings have been an average of around 10.8 which is very disheartening. 6 months ago it was usually around 7. I’m hoping to address this next time I have an appointment with my practice diabetic nurse.
Do you find that they still come down to target levels throughout the day? As I’m thinking with a level of 11 it’s going to be hard for me to get that down to target range for before/after meals.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok good to know it will come down at some point. Thankyou

dawn phenomenon is something that escalates more and more for T2s as their blood glucose control worsens.
Then, when they get thing under control, it usually decreases again. But it is often the last thing to ‘normalise’.

the trick is to get good control with other things - diet and exercise, other lifestyle, and medication if those don’t help enough.
Going low carb is the thing that makes the biggest difference for a T2.

Lizzieluvs

dawn phenomenon is something that escalates more and more for T2s as their blood glucose control worsens.
Then, when they get thing under control, it usually decreases again. But it is often the last thing to ‘normalise’.

the trick is to get good control with other things - diet and exercise, other lifestyle, and medication if those don’t help enough.
Going low carb is the thing that makes the biggest difference for a T2.
Thankyou, I have started low carb and upped my excercise i was only diagnosed 5 days ago in so I know I’ve got some time before I see improvements.