Sugar spike

JohnSat

Hi I'm was told that I was pre diabetic last year which I totally ignored. On a dental check my dentist said I have gum disease that needs treatment and I should get my sugar levels checked. On purchasing a cheep meter on amazon my levels were not good. So I decided to a bit of intermittent fasting to see if it made any difference the results were great 2 days average 5.2 mmol/L.
I then had a cup of tea with skimmed milk no sugar just before evening meal and checked my levels 13.9 meter flashed Hyper. It has taken 2 days to come down again.
Anyone any ideas why it would spike like this.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you take the reading before or after your evening meal? What was in the meal?

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Hi and welcome it could have been the skimmed milk - it tends to have more sugars in so perhaps it was that. What did you have for your evening meal as it sounds like that could have been too carby for you too. Just a thought ;)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm was told that I was pre diabetic last year which I totally ignored. On a dental check my dentist said I have gum disease that needs treatment and I should get my sugar levels checked. On purchasing a cheep meter on amazon my levels were not good. So I decided to a bit of intermittent fasting to see if it made any difference the results were great 2 days average 5.2 mmol/L.
I then had a cup of tea with skimmed milk no sugar just before evening meal and checked my levels 13.9 meter flashed Hyper. It has taken 2 days to come down again.
Anyone any ideas why it would spike like this.

Hi there. do you mean you checked before your evening meal and what was the pre drink/meal reading if you know? x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome it could have been the skimmed milk - it tends to have more sugars in so perhaps it was that. What did you have for your evening meal as it sounds like that could have been too carby for you too. Just a thought ;)

That's true I guess, but would a splash of skimmed milk in a cup of tea raise levels THAT much?

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
That's true I guess, but would a splash of skimmed milk in a cup of tea raise levels THAT much?
It does with me, I guess it was the dinner that could have caused it

JohnSat

Just for information the reading was before dinner, lunch was at 1300 hrs reading at 15.30hrs was 5.2, cup of tea just before dinner and then tested before sitting down 13.9. All a bit much.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for information the reading was before dinner, lunch was at 1300 hrs reading at 15.30hrs was 5.2, cup of tea just before dinner and then tested before sitting down 13.9. All a bit much.
I have had scary high readings of 13+ (I'm invariably in the fours and fives) by accidentally re-using a test strip. Don't suppose that's a possibility?

JohnSat

Never thought about a faulty test strips but I will be aware in the future. I have noticed that if I drink a very hot cup of tea just before or while testing it gives me a higher reading in the 8 or 9's. I am now aware of this and moved my testing timetable to avoid.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Surely a dash of skimmed milk would only be about 2 - 3 carbs ! I can't imagine it would raise your blood sugar that much .

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I would retest if I got an unexpected reading like that. Sometimes meters give faulty readings, both high and low, and if you accidentally have anything sweet on your fingers that can push readings up dramatically.