Timings of Slow Release Metformin

If you need 2 x 500 tablets slow release metformin do you ...

• Take 2 together at night?

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Take one at night and one in the morning?

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

MrsB5

Hi! I Wonder if people could help as I’m confused. Meant to be taking 2 x 500 ... but I’m sure one nurse said to take it together in the night... and another nurse said to take one in the night and one in the morning? ....
what have other people done found most affective? .... and how long do the tablets take to kick in and work!?! ....
thanks you xxx
- Also - does anyone else have a bad stomach and need the toilet a lot on the SLOW release tablets? As I seem to ... :(

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi! I Wonder if people could help as I’m confused. Meant to be taking 2 x 500 ... but I’m sure one nurse said to take it together in the night... and another nurse said to take one in the night and one in the morning? ....
what have other people done found most affective? .... and how long do the tablets take to kick in and work!?! ....
thanks you xxx
- Also - does anyone else have a bad stomach and need the toilet a lot on the SLOW release tablets? As I seem to ... :(

Hi @MrsB5

I have never taken Metformin myself but have read many posts on the subject and the upset stomach problems they cause.

Many people come here after finding that they have reacted badly to the standard Metformin. We tell them to ask their doctor for the SR (Slow Release) or XR (Extended Release) variants as they are usually less of a problem.

Unfortunately, there are some people who cannot tolerate Metformin in any variant and if it is making your life unpleasant then you should discuss with your doctor.

People in these forums have made significant changes to their diet in order to come off medication completely. So you may wish to consider a low carbohydrate diet?

Metformin works by reducing the amount of background glucose that your liver can excrete. It is not a medication that works quickly after ingesting it. It's effects build up over a few days after starting it and when you take it shouldn't make much difference (as far as I know) to your glucose levels. Are there instructions on the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL)?

Welcome to the forums by the way.

oldsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks you xxx
I was prescribed metformin almost 20 years ago and found my stomach was greatly affected. My doctor changed my prescription to metformin SR and while that helped it did not completely ease the issue. I was then given 20mg Omeprazole to take once daily and this cured the problem. I have continued with this regime since and rarely experience any bad effects. I know we're all different but I hope this can be of help to you.
Also, I started a low-carb diet about 4 years ago after years of being told low-fat was the way to go. Since then I have found my stomach to be in a much better state. Rarely any gas! My wife had always said that if it was an Olympic sport, that I could fart for England. Not any more.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin takes few days to build up in the blood whether its regular or SR. However, once built the SR will affect more on your fasting and overall glycaemic control. Metformin standard can help more in post-prandial spikes though. If you are on SR, its best to take it morning/evening to distribute affect around 24 hours as SR takes about 7 hours to reach its peak affect.