Type 1 Disciplinary warning for diabetes at work

Type1Daisyx

Was HR involved in that meeting? Given it's a major supermarket you'd assume they should be. If I was even tempted to give a written warning due to illness there is no way I would proceed without their involvement

As already mentioned, diabetes would fall under the disability protected characteristic under under the equality act 2010, whether it applies for time off work into being discriminated against maybe... Not a lawyer, you need proper advice

Did you have someone else in that meeting with you? That note makes it sound like you have admitted liability regarding diet. Not saying you did by the way, just that's how it is worded.

Thinking a union thing too

Hey, it was just me and two other managers. They asked me why my blood glucose and keytones were high and I said could be anything from not giving enough insulin to stress.

Type1Daisyx

This is a shocker! I agree with the previous queries. Also, have you had absences prior to this? Verbal warnings? Would you have received this if you had phoned in with an absence due to e.g. a stomach upset? Are other staff members similarly targeted? Over-zealous, under-trained manager?

Hey, I had this meeting because I had three absences in the last 12 months (2 diabetes and 1 kidney infection) which the 2”3% off applied to everyone. I think the main issue is them having a lack of understanding I had to explain to him what causes high bloods and how I treat them.

Type1Daisyx

This is horrendous. Most of the points I'd make have already been covered here.

I'd emphasise getting ACAS, local CAB involved; get in touch with Diabetes.org.UK who have an advocacy function too.

Also, as others have pointed out, the most damning thing if this is a major supermarket chain (and even if the unit in which you work is a franchise) there are policies, procedures and ethics. Diabetes can be classed as a disability too.

Take it further up the line and OH, HR have to become involved...

Wish you all the best.

I haven’t looked at the polices but I’ll contact HR and hopefully they can help. Thank you

Type1Daisyx

Hi Daisy, it would be nice to hear back from you. Are you ok? Do you have someone to support you? This does sound as though you are being bullied.

I’m okay I just wasn’t sure if this was normal as I’m still quite young. I’ve asked for advice from other colleagues which they all said to appeal it and take it further. Just I don’t want to cause any hassle.

Type1Daisyx

This looks like an unofficial warning someone has written without the appropriate input from higher ups or HR. I would forward a copy of this to whoever is in charge of HR and cc management.

Is it signed and dated? What rank above you is the person who wrote it?

Hey, there is a second piece of paper stating what happens if I get more poor attendance and where to appeal with a signature from a manager.

Type1Daisyx

Are you in a union?

I would definitely try to take this further. Personally, I would ask for a second interview with someone who is a) literate and b) who is intelligent enough to understand the difference between T1 and T2.

I think he wasn’t educated on the condition as I had to explain to him how I had to treat myself ect. I’ll send a copy of it to HR

Type1Daisyx

UPDATE: here is some of what was said in the meeting (copy of notes).DH is me
IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg
IMG_2348.jpg

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think he wasn’t educated on the condition as I had to explain to him how I had to treat myself ect. I’ll send a copy of it to HR

Hi Daisy, and just remember that a Supervisor/Manager or ANYONE dealing with an absent employee will NOT be in a position to make any decisions or inferences from sickness that derives from a disability. That is why medical input must be sought throughout any back to work procedures. It's not like a cough or cold, it is a specific disease/condition that is pretty intricate. If your sickness results directly from your diabetes then it is categorised under the Disability procedures, I'm not saying that a person still couldn't be given a written warning (for example, someone deliberately not taking their insulin (backed up by independent evidence from a GP and so on) or someone claiming every cold stems from their diabetes, etc), but the circumstances you have described sound horrendous, do not be bullied. x

Edited to add; just seen your notes and I see you say it's psychological and you are getting Counselling?, it sounds far more complicated to be fair, but you must go through HR and get the whole situation recorded correctly and definitely some medical input.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Type1Daisyx

Your treatment by this employer is appalling, yes you do need to appeal this, I appreciate you may feel that you don’t want to cause trouble but their lack of knowledge of your condition has brought this on, also they sound like they are not aware of the Disability Discrimination Act - Diabetes UK has a helpline which should be your first call: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/employment?amp

Please do not feel intimidated, their behaviour is borderline bullying and standing up to this is protecting your rights as well as other type 1’s.

Sorry to hear they are putting you through this.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When your meeting discussion revolved around insulin, I am baffled that your letter mentioned food.

I won't offer advice as a T2. Could you look into a pump, other T1s may offer more help.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m surprised someone from HR wasn’t there

Yes, me too. Obviously they are not present for a routine back to work meeting but you would think that if a penalty such as a written warning is to be issued, then they would have had an input. In my line of work (and many others I suspect) once you get a written warning the next stage (after further bouts of absence) is the sack.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Type1Daisyx ,

I've a few years in the same industry as yourself. (Food retail.)

After reading your warning letter, then the notes taken from the interview.
This looks like it was handled by managment with very little experience.

Where you awair prior to the enquiry you were to be pulled in for this? Did you have notifacation of the attendance issue.?

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgreymare

Ron Jeremie

This is laughable Daisy

There is no way HR sanctioned this if it is a 'major' UK Supermarket retailer. Is the store a Franchise by any chance?