Testing after drinks

Lizzieluvs

Sorry if this is a silly question, I wanted to know when to test blood sugars after drinking either alcohol, fizzy or squash? Is it 2hrs later like after a meal?
It’s not going to be a regular occurrence for me but as I’m new to this I want to know how they affect my blood sugar.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if this is a silly question, I wanted to know when to test blood sugars after drinking either alcohol, fizzy or squash? Is it 2hrs later like after a meal?
It’s not going to be a regular occurrence for me but as I’m new to this I want to know how they affect my blood sugar.
It's not a silly question or I would know the answer. I suspect the effect will be much quicker than with food as there is less digestion involved. Maybe test at 30mins, 60mins and 90mins with a typical drink to see when a peak occurs.

Reactions: Lizzieluvs

Lizzieluvs

Thankyou I've only started testing tonight so don’t really know any of my usual reactions to food yet. Maybe I will try the 30/60/90 min testing for now.

Maybe you can help with my readings tonight and tell me if it seems right as I’m not sure. I’ve only been low carb for 4 days, I ate last night as 5ish then ate my lunch of egg, bacon and tomatoes at 12ish got my meter at 4pm today so checked my level pre dinner and it was 9.7 which I thought was high seen as I had only eaten a tiny amount of carbs today plus only water no fizzy etc. Is the high reading just because my blood sugars are still coming down?

I Took my new metformin and 2hrs after eating 8.1. Is this because of the metformin? Does it work that quickly? Just thought it was strange that I was higher before eating!
Thanks

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t take metformin but I do know it has a mild effect & does not work the same way as insulin.

It will take a bit of time for your numbers to come down, it sounds like you have been diagnosed quite early which is good.

Keep testing, give it a few days & you will see patterns. Diabetes is nothing if not unpredictable so it’s the record keeping that shows us the way.

Good luck with the low carbing & enjoy your drinks. Depending on the carb/ sugar content they may raise or lower your levels but it’s all info for you to make informed choices next time.

SarahEN

For me, alcohol has a totally different reaction on my levels than anything with sugar or sweetener in it. Fizzy or squash spikes my bg levels immediately. However alcohols affect it delayed. In fact if I drink alcohol in the evening- my morning bg levels will be low & by about 10am they have gone up, no matter whether I've eaten or not.