Alternatives to SR Metformin

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After staying off any (diabetes) meds for around 5 years since my initial diagnosis I started taking Sukkarto around mid September. I'm currently taking 1x 1000mg in the morning and 1x 1000mg early evening.

Despite being slow release I am having stomach issues and incredibly embarrassed to say I don't make it to the toilet sometimes! Thankfully, I'm working from home otherwise I'd be even more mortified. It doesn't happen all the time but I get little warning before I need to go (sorry if TMI).

I'm due to have a Hba1c review in the next 3-4 weeks so am unsure if it's lowered my blood sugar levels. I've certainly found my appetite is affected in that I'm eating less - so that's a positive.

What is a good alternative? And what are the side effects if my DSN decides to prescribe something else? I don't want to be feeling any worse than I already do!

P.S. I think my Hba1c was 57 when I went onto the Sukkarto (so not particularly high in my opinion).

Thanks

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Try the liquid Metformin and see how you go but if that doesn’t work then ask for an appointment with the diabetic nurse (not your Practice nurse) for a drugs review.
The key word to use is “quality of life” and “I’m not having a good quality of life”.

Zeet

I’ve just started Metformin Prolonged Release 500mg and after 4 days noticed that I’ve woken up with a stomachache in my lower abdomen. It eventually dissipates after an hour or so. Peppermint oil capsules have helped.