Bread?

Wanderer101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What amount of carbs is a slice of low carb bread supposed to have? I’m trying to lower my carb intake but not cut them out altogether. I believe I need to measure total carbs minus fibre. I have attached a photo of some hovis bread which equates to 5.8 gms per 36 gm slice, is this ok?

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever the packet says should only serve as a guide.
What does your meter say when you consume this bread ?
This is the most important factor.

Also, adding butter, ham, cheese are all nearly zero carb fillings & may blunt any spike due to fats/protein.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What amount of carbs is a slice of low carb bread supposed to have? I’m trying to lower my carb intake but not cut them out altogether. I believe I need to measure total carbs minus fibre. I have attached a photo of some hovis bread which equates to 5.8 gms per 36 gm slice, is this ok?
Well in the UK you don’t deduct fibre from carbs. Not sure where you are based but you need to just look at carbs listed.

not sure there is an amount that makes something low as such... some will be lower than other. When something is marketed as low carb I suspect there is no legal definition.

I just count my daily and keep that in mind.

Reactions: Gracie204

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The lower carb seeded Hovis is 10 gm of carb per slice.
Is that the one you mean?
In the UK we spell fibre, and the carbs are already net carbs.
In the US they spell it fiber, and it is included in the carb count so can be deducted.

Wanderer101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well in the UK you don’t deduct fibre from carbs. Not sure where you are based but you need to just look at carbs listed.

not sure there is an amount that makes something low as such... some will be lower than other. When something is marketed as low carb I suspect there is no legal definition.

I just count my daily and keep that in mind.

Thanks I must have been looking at an American site. I suppose if I try to keep my carb intake under 100 per day then I can work it out from that. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
The lower carb seeded Hovis is 10 gm of carb per slice.
Is that the one you mean?
In the UK we spell fibre, and the carbs are already net carbs.
In the US they spell it fiber, and it is included in the carb count so can be deducted.
This was good news for me, never knew why I kept reading "net carbs" until I googled it. I am baking my own things like breads, and cooking from scratch. I have time of course so I am fortunate, mostly because I like to cook and bake. I came in tonight to check out your recipe thread as I need some new input,