Newly diagnosed..

Hlb81

Good afternoon and thank you for allowing me to be part of this forum, I have been told today that my blood results have come back as type 2 diabetic the mmol (if that’s right) is 50 - bit of past history - over past few months I have had reoccurring lumps in my arm pits which obviously caused some worry but after some tests the dr believes that they were being caused by raised blood sugars.
I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse next week but what should I expect - is this something that could be controlled with diet or am I looking at medication? Thank you for any advice.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree with @bulkbiker .

Have you got a meter? That is probably worth doing straight away. That meter will be the thing that tells you the level of carbs your body can tolerate.

Be prepared for the nurse to push 'healthy' carbs. Trust your meter- it doesn't have an agenda.

Good luck- read the link bulk biker posted and read around.

Welcome.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Many staff are still advising metformin and the 'eatwell plate' - the latter is a disaster for T2s as any carbs are turned into sugar. Many of us have managed our blood sugars down, or got into remission, by counting carbs in conjunction with checking our blood sugar using a meter (usually self-funded although some GPs will fund if you explain you need it to check how many carbs you can eat).

There are several really good sites to help you. I went for the lowcarbprogram as some NHS trusts were offering a voucher (NHS approved prescription but funding varies by region).

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon and thank you for allowing me to be part of this forum, I have been told today that my blood results have come back as type 2 diabetic the mmol (if that’s right) is 50 - bit of past history - over past few months I have had reoccurring lumps in my arm pits which obviously caused some worry but after some tests the dr believes that they were being caused by raised blood sugars.
I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse next week but what should I expect - is this something that could be controlled with diet or am I looking at medication? Thank you for any advice.
Diet alone can work. Your readings are exactly what mine were when diagnosed and I was able to get them back to normal in 4 month, diet only, a ruthless exclusion of all my favourite carbs did the trick. Get a meter and test before and two hours after meals, to establish what impact they have on blood sugars. That way you will see your progress pretty quickly. Also, I had several unpleasant diabetic symtoms long (ten years plus) before I was diagnosed - I was specifically told I didn't have diabetes, despite the symptoms, because my BG hadn't yet reached the required figure. We're all different, and what's high blood glucose for me is clearly a lot less than the currently accepted figure.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don’t say what form your armpit lumps take, but if they are painful and like boils or abscesses it may be hidradenitis, which is usually thought to be an autoimmune condition. On the plus side, mine is almost entirely in remission since I normalised my blood sugar.

Edit to add: not attempting to diagnose you, just providing anecdotal evidence that your doc could be on to something!

Hlb81

Thank you all for your advice, I saw the diabetic nurse Tuesday and she has advised me to cut down the carbs/sugary foods etc and going to retest in 3 months, since having the original blood test (4 weeks ago) and them telling me that my hba1c? levels were high I had already started to make changes to my diet which seems to have made a slight change as the lumps have gone, I’m finding it quite challenging finding ‘easy’ foods that are low in carbs (I work in a school so need dinners/snacks that are quick and easy and do not need any cooking etc) and breakfast difficult as I never normally have breakfast but nurse has told me I need to start - no idea what to have though. Thank you all for your advice, this is going to be a challenge but I’m sure I will get there eventually.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first started, I kept a box which contained olives, walnuts, cheese which I used to snack on or use as a lunch when I was out.

Breakfast is not necessary. Have a coffee with double cream. You could make some keto muffins, made in advance you can just grab from the fridge.

There are thousands of recipes online. Just Google whatever you fancy, just put keto first.

You can also look at dietdoctor.com.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your advice, I saw the diabetic nurse Tuesday and she has advised me to cut down the carbs/sugary foods etc and going to retest in 3 months, since having the original blood test (4 weeks ago) and them telling me that my hba1c? levels were high I had already started to make changes to my diet which seems to have made a slight change as the lumps have gone, I’m finding it quite challenging finding ‘easy’ foods that are low in carbs (I work in a school so need dinners/snacks that are quick and easy and do not need any cooking etc) and breakfast difficult as I never normally have breakfast but nurse has told me I need to start - no idea what to have though. Thank you all for your advice, this is going to be a challenge but I’m sure I will get there eventually.

This sort of advice always puzzles me. I get that a change may be needed in the choice of foods but WHY would you suddenly have to start having breakfast (notwithstanding a person may have other issues that necessitates this or is placed on a medication that demands it). For your lunch in school any cold meats/cheese/some nuts are a good idea or make a low carb soup and take it in a flask. If you look at the very long list of low carb food, you will soon see that with a little imagination you will look forward to your lunches! x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I now eat morning and evening as that keeps my levels steady and low.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi & Welcome
You are just in the diabetic range (anything over 48 is)
I am sure you will be able to get back to non diabetic figures by just cutting back on the carbs

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that breakfast is not necessary unless you feel hungry. Boiled eggs are something you can have with you that ious easy to eat. You can also precook chicken wings etc to take with you.

What sorts of things do you normally have- we may be able to offer some alternatives.

Hlb81

I agree that breakfast is not necessary unless you feel hungry. Boiled eggs are something you can have with you that ious easy to eat. You can also precook chicken wings etc to take with you.

What sorts of things do you normally have- we may be able to offer some alternatives.

I would normally take microwave flavoured rice, pasta with a dolmio sauce mixed in, sandwiches, or I fall into the trap of just getting dinner at work (school dinners are far from good or healthy)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
so some suggestions and there are many.

Instead of sandwiches use lettuce as a wrap and just have the inside- ham and cheese for example, You can have cauliflower rice- not my personal favourite but many like it. There are some ultra low carb pasta replacements around or spirals some courgette,

Other suggestions- eggs, cooked chicken bits salmon or other fish or chicken with spinach leaves a little spring onion a little tomato or cucumber and as much cheese as you want.

Look up diet doctor to get more ideas.

Good luck.