Help please, not sure whether i'm going keto this time

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I wrote a post earlier and in addition I'm still waiting for a return call, 2 hours after my evening meal my blood sugars went to 10.5mmol and ketones 3.9mmol which concerned me and i felt quite poorly, dizzy and light headed, i've drank 5 .5 pints of water since and carrying on and got my sugar levels down to 5.7mmol but my ketones are now 4.5mmol which i understand is high, can anyone confirm this only I understand if i'm in ketosis they shall be high, but paranoid about DKA.

Now here's the problem, i do have a sinus infection as have a dust allergy though i'm also suffering from a cold for the last two days only, i'm absolutely terrified of going to A&E because i's paranoid that they'll just misdiagnose it as the covid, whatsmore is they'll probably even try and give me the jab and i point blank refuse it, I've many reasons but I had a flu jab a few years ago and ended up in intensive care so it's a no..

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
They won't give you a covid shot if you refuse permission (and I doubt they'd give you one while ill anyway,, you certainly don't get flu jabs when sick).

Those levels of ketones are very high. Did you have any carbs in your evening meal? (Dr google says optimal levels for nutritional ketosis are 1 to 3, and 4.5 is a very high level whichever way you look at it.) I think you need help.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
They won't give you a covid shot if you refuse permission (and I doubt they'd give you one while ill anyway,, you certainly don't get flu jabs when sick).

Those levels of ketones are very high. Did you have any carbs in your evening meal? (Dr google says optimal levels for nutritional ketosis are 1 to 3, and 4.5 is a very high level whichever way you look at it.) I think you need help.
Ok, Thank you @EllieM and no, no carbs again tonight.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
no carbs again tonight.
When you're not eating carbs you go into ketosis, hence why it's called a keto diet. This means you produce ketones, and this is fine.
The problem is, there's also ketoACIDosis, DKA, which is very dangerous. As long as you're on a keto diet (very little carbs) your ketone tests won't tell you if you're alright or dangerously ill, because you'll have ketones either way.

As a rule the clue is in blood glucose: lowish plus ketones (on a keto diet) is fine, high plus ketones is alarming.
In your case it's a bit more complicated because you're on empagliflozin. With this medicine it's possible to go into DKA without the high blood glucose.
So as long as you're following a keto diet, only a hospital blood test can tell if you're fine or not, as they can test for the acidity of your blood.