LCHF

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi could anyone help where to start with the LCHF and what books are good etc, also what does everyone eat instead of bread
Thankyou

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Maxjoe, welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice to be had here. I can recommend diet doctor website. They have some great ideas for low carb recipes. You can make your own bread, but I sometimes have a low carb bread from a website called seriously low carb, think that's what it's called, but someone will correct me if not. Maybe you could give people an idea of what foods you like and what sort of levels you have. I'm sure some more experienced members will be along soon to give you more advice. Take care

Reactions: maxjoe121

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Maxjoe, welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice to be had here. I can recommend diet doctor website. They have some great ideas for low carb recipes. You can make your own bread, but I sometimes have a low carb bread from a website called seriously low carb, think that's what it's called, but someone will correct me if not. Maybe you could give people an idea of what foods you like and what sort of levels you have. I'm sure some more experienced members will be along soon to give you more advice. Take care
Thankyou I will give the diet doctor a look, sounds good, I have a meter so will check my levels regularly from now on, I love sweet things but guess I just can't, have fallen off that bandwagon with a great bump over last few years I've put weight on too as been isolating for what seems to be forever so fingers crossed I get on top of this now x

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.

I too have recently started the LCHF/keto diet. I too recommend diet doctor website that also has app & a website called ditch the carbs.

Like you I have sweet tooth & struggled with it but despite the initial side effects low carb is defo best decision I made. I've been on about 2 to 3 weeks & just trying to find balance of what I eat & when inc snacks which I try to avoid

Good luck

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi-lo bread from selected Sainsburys 5g carb per slice. Slices are very small and loaf a bit pricey at £1.75 but does help keep me on track when I feel like a bit of buttery toast and marmalade and tastes good too
My little local Sainsbury allow me to order it (min case of 4) takes about a week to 10 days but saves me driving 13 miles to nearest large store during lockdown

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I'm another sweet tooth so I use artificial sweeteners sometimes. I also have diet jelly which helps stop the cravings. There are some lower carb chocolate but you have to look around.

Good luck.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a link to the website: https://seriouslylowcarb.com/

I've tried the rolls. At 2.7g per roll I can stay within my target 20g/day and still have a bacon sandwich. They are similar in texture to standard bread and hold shape. Taste isn't fantastic but acceptable - tastes like the sort of roll you'd expect to get from a burger van.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Lots of good sources offered but I joined the lowcarbprogram when I went low carb. In some areas you can join for free via your GP/diabetic team as it is NHS approved.
Bread? Sometimes I have one slice of a low carb/high protein bread, or make 90 second bread with ground almonds. I use lettuce leaves to hold salad sandwiches, or slices of ham. or as others wrote, I eat the 'filling' with fingers or a spoon.
I don't eat a lot of extra fat, just enough so I don't feel hungry, but I do like having double cream in coffee or on a few raspberries. And I make a rhubarb crumble, sweetener in the rhubarb and a crumble made with ground almonds and a tiny bit of butter - delicious with real egg custard or cream.
Otherwise, loads of fish or chicken or omelettes with low carb sauces or butter over green veg, and cauliflower rice (tip, don't make it in the microwave, tastes better if cooked in oven or stir fried).
And if you like cooked breakfast try bacon and mushrooms with a little tomato. Some people have it with avocado.

and a couple of squares of 85% choc fits into my carb target.

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may have to trial & error with your food for both what you like and what works for you. Lots of stuff on You Tube but be careful some posters are just trying for views for money(IMO). Fats for me have been crucial, they help keep the hunger at bay. I feel that if you just stick with meats(any) fish, and any green veggie you will see amazing results. I use fats on my veggies to help them taste better like butter or cream. Example day for me is two meals, Breakfast: 2 or 3 eggs on 1 avocado and two strips of bacon plus 2 large cups of coffee with 33% cream(about 4 tbsp). Dinner 4 to 6 oz of meat with some veggie flavored with butter or other good fats. I'm starting into my second year of LCHF my A1C is pretty good(still want it to get better) my cholesterol was quite high before starting LCHF, it is now the best its ever been(the eggs and fat actually improved it). There are low carb sweet recipes out there, again it's a trial & error process.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diet Doctor is fine and there are other good sites too but what I often do is put whatever I want to make preceded by Keto in the search engine. Eg keto gingerbread. I’ve found some great low carb recipes this way. Good cookbooks are:
Low Carb Revolution Annie Bell
Books by Kate Caldesi.
Hairy Dieters - not low carb, including their diabetes book sadly, but easy to adapt.
Good Food-Eat Well Low Carb Cooking
Sarah Flowers Sugar Free Family Cookbook with low carb suggestions is my Bible.

All Jamie Oliver’s recent books and those by Justine Pattinson have nutrition details of the recipes at the back including carb count so you can pick and choose suitable recipes.
I like having low carb cookbooks but it’s not hard to adapt lots of recipes just by leaving out carb heavy items. Most still work.

As for bread, my local supermarket (Booths - northern supermarket chain) does low GI bread, which is also lowish carb. I cut two extremely thin slices for breakfast and that’s my bread for the day for 10-13 g carbs. The butter and cheese and or marmite I have with it are carbless and my blood sugar’s ok on this amount. Actually it’s ok with most very seedy bread but we all react differently so may not work for others.

Good luck.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Like everyone here suggested dietdoctor, preceding keto in search engine are all very helpful suggestion indeed.

I would just add that I have found this bread recipe from Joe Duff which is 1.5 gms net carbs per slice and takes 5 minutes to prepare and is my favourite meal of the day...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I make cheese waffles to wrap around thick cut bacon - no need for bread really.