Just started metformin -facial rash/lumps

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just started taking metformin (sukkarto SR) yesterday. I took it at about 10am and by 4pm my face felt hot and tight (but not particularly red) and I have what feel like tiny lumps under my skin all over my face.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it wear off after taking it for a while or will it continue for as long as I’m on it?!

I’ve taken an anti-histamine to see if that helps

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm wondering if it is an allergic reaction and think you need to let your doctor know about it ASAP - and as it is Sunday tomorrow, think about not taking the tablet - if it is an allergic reaction is could be really ramping up exponentially.
Having seen what repeated exposure to an allergen can do twice in my lifetime - to different people, not to me - the results were rather nasty. It might be coincidence or nothing to worry about, but I think it ought to be taken seriously until just what is going on is checked out.
One incident was a second bee sting. It was memorable. The other was peanut butter.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I agree with @Resurgam, it's possibly an allergic reaction to something in the metformin. Stop taking the drug till you've spoken to the doctor.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for both your replies. I never thought about the possibility of effects increasing as I continue to take it and the amount of medication in my body increases. I just thought it would at worst continue to cause the skin issue. Oops.

I have taken one this morning and did find my skin felt tight again later on

I will miss the dose tomorrow and call the GP on Monday

Thank you

Reactions: EllieM