Libre v finger prick

TrueBlueSUFC

Quick question my freestyle Libre sensor is showing 4.4 but my finger testing machine (Tee2) is saying 5.7

So which should I pay more attention to? Is one more up-to date than the other? Or will there always be a discrepancy and if so is that within the acceptable margins of difference ?

I find it worrying because I am a worrier and end up having sugar when the sensor says I’m dropping too low

Advice would be superb

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick question my freestyle Libre sensor is showing 4.4 but my finger testing machine (Tee2) is saying 5.7

So which should I pay more attention to? Is one more up-to date than the other? Or will there always be a discrepancy and if so is that within the acceptable margins of difference ?

I find it worrying because I am a worrier and end up having sugar when the sensor says I’m dropping too low

Advice would be superb

Scan your Libre, wait 15 or 20 minutes then test with the meter.. What are you seeing?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As @Jaylee said, libre will lag 15 minutes behind your blood testing meter.

However it is also much more accurate for some people than others. I would always believe my meter first (libre even recommend that you don't trust their readings when low or high), with the proviso that my hands are clean....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just done it again now ....
5.6 on the meter
4.0 on the Libre sensor

I'm seeing 3 minutes difference on our posts?

Wait twenty twix scan, & the meter then check out results on the screen.
Once done you may find the tolerances closer?
With luck you should see what I mean. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
From your other posts I understand you are not on any medication or insulin for diabetes, but you have been in the past.
This is very important, as low blood sugars in someone on insulin should be treated right away, but being below 4 is not a reason to take sugar when not on glucose lowering medication!

I expect when you were on insulin you have been told to treat a hypo because it can be dangerous. Without medication this is not the case (unless you have rare other conditions).

So which should I pay more attention to?
I found finger pricks much more reliable than Libre for absolute numbers.

TrueBlueSUFC

From your other posts I understand you are not on any medication or insulin for diabetes, but you have been in the past.
This is very important, as low blood sugars in someone on insulin should be treated right away, but being below 4 is not a reason to take sugar when not on glucose lowering medication!

I expect when you were on insulin you have been told to treat a hypo because it can be dangerous. Without medication this is not the case (unless you have rare other conditions).

I found finger pricks much more reliable than Libre for absolute numbers.

Yeah I just tend to go into panic mode, I sit there thinking “come on liver dump some glucose” as I said before this is all new to me this end of the scale

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I just tend to go into panic mode, I sit there thinking “come on liver dump some glucose” as I said before this is all new to me this end of the scale

Hi,

Try not to let anxiety drive this for you. Sounds like you've made some great progression..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Really, you are not in danger of hypo's now you're not on medication anymore!
Please verify your next low reading with a finger prick. Your tests so far indicate your Libre is reading lower than blood for you, just like it does for me.

Also, it would be helpful if you filled out your profile. Anyone reading your post now could easily assume you're on insulin, simply because most Libre users are T1. This can result in answers which don't apply to you. Mentioning you're not on medication when asking a question can be very helpful as well, not everyone checks out profiles before replying.
It can really save you from a lot of confusing answers!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

Advice would be superb
It’s been my experience that libre sensors read low. Finger testing will show 4s-5s, whilst the libre will show 2s-3s. It’s starts to get closer above 6.

As a T2, I find the sensor to be great for finding patterns, I.e dawn phenomenon, what happens when you’re sleeping, exercising etc.

I wear a sensor quarterly just to make sure I’m on track

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@TrueBlueSUFC when did you apply your sensor?
The first 24 or 48 hours after applying the sensor may be less accurate as our body gets use to having an alien object inserted. Some of us apply the sensor a day or two before starting the sensor.

mattrix

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Scan your Libre, wait 15 or 20 minutes then test with the meter.. What are you seeing?

Can you explain this?
I thought it was the other way around. Do a finger prick test and then scan the libre for 10-20 minutes.
This is what I have done and my sensors are mostly 1-3 mmol lower than my meter.