Skin care for pumpers

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey all. I haven't been here for a while, so hope you don't all think me rude just popping up with questions like this!

I've been a pump user for 12 years plus. I used to infuse exclusively into my buttocks for the first ten, but after some absorption issues, I now use my abdomen exclusively. Alas, the skin here seems rather delicate, and the adhesive from the cannulas, tape and spot plasters appears to be removing the top layer of skin. I also have the same issue on my upper arms from the Libre sensors and the tape I use for the Blucon Nightrider over it.

Do any of you have any advice on any preventative or remedial treatments I can use to care for the skin?

Thanks in advance.

20200510_102707.jpg

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Colin of Kent. Sorry you're having problems. If it's an allergy to the adhesive, you could try using Cavilon or Sorbaderm sprays prior to inserting the cannulas and libre. If it's more that when you come to remove the devices they are stuck so firmly, you end up pulling the top layer of skin away with the adhesive, I find Pelican no sting adhesive remover good, or I think some people use baby oil or soak it off in the shower or bath.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too find my lower abdominal area has more sensitive skin than my back.
The techniques I have used are
- Cavilon spray. This is a barrier spray so provides some protection against the glue. I accidentally bought Cavilon cream the first time. It worked and was cheaper than the spray. But it was greasy and if I put a micron too much on the glue didn't hold at all.
- Care when removing my pump. I don't find I need to fork out for any additional sprays and potions for removal. I always remove the pump in a hot shower. I slowly peel a small corner of the tape off and then let the hot water loosen the glue, Then I slowly peel the whole thing off. I avoid the "rip it off" approach because this can take skin with it.
- Hair removal. For me, the lower abdominal area is hairier than my back and the affect of hair growth under the glue can cause problems. As shaving removes the top layer of skin, I shave the next site for my pump the day before the site change.
- Don't scratch. For me, this is the hardest thing but as there is slightly less skin where the pump has been, a scratch will have a greater impact.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tea Tree oil or cream, use it after you remove the cannula and for few days, works well for me. for pump and Dexcom.

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use appeal spray for removal and palmers coco butter on my skin it works wonders for me