Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, toad patrol has eased off as it's too cold for them to move in the evenings right now. So no trotting up and down with the torch and bucket, and no new people to induct tonight (which I was meant to be doing).

Nothing else to report here except it's wonderful to see the sun! Have a good day all.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1614162221096.jpg

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I remember having a friend who was eating a Mars Bar. She said to me (all quite serious) "if you ate this would you die" Really ridiculous things people say.. I know it's just ignorance and why should they know anyhow. It does makes me laugh when I think about it.. Sometimes I will try to educate them but sometimes I quite like to let it go and have a good laugh.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember having a friend who was eating a Mars Bar. She said to me (all quite serious) "if you ate this would you die" Really ridiculous things people say.. I know it's just ignorance and why should they know anyhow. It does makes me laugh when I think about it.. Sometimes I will try to educate them but sometimes I quite like to let it go and have a good laugh.

Lol, I got vivid memories of the school bully thinking he was an "evil genius" threatening me with half a bag of Tate & Lyle.
Yeah, bring it on...

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Lol, I got vivid memories of the school bully thinking he was an "evil genius" threatening me with half a bag of Tate & Lyle.
Yeah, bring it on...

That's hilarious!.. I was also told by someone that I didn't look like a Diabetic and when I asked why he said "your not pasty looking"

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's hilarious!.. I was also told by someone that I didn't look like a Diabetic and when I asked why he said "your not pasty looking"

Someone thinking I needed to eat all the time to stay alive..

Someone else who always got my name wrong (like a female Trigger from only fools & horses.)

"Hello Geremy, how's yer asthma.?" I don't have asthma, I'm a diabetic. "Oh, good.. You been cured..." :banghead:

I kid you not.. :hilarious:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, love all the stories about all the idiots who know soooooo much more about diabetes than we do :hilarious:

Sun's just come out here so I'm off to do some gardening, have a good day all and thanks for the laughs.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since Boxing day I have had issues with my stomach. Have not actually had a Gp examine me yet!! But have had various tests which culminated in a scan last week looking mainly at the pancreas but also the other organs. There was nothing untoward I am pleased to say. (Still don’t know what is causing the problems however). The brilliant news though, according to the person scanning, was that my liver didn’t have an ounce of fat on it. Will take that. Now just need them to sort this stomach.

Yesterday the weather was wall to wall sunshine loveliness. Today wall to wall foggy miserablenesss. It’s amazing how that glimpse of blue sky can uplift you pretty quickly. Sunk a bit today though!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, staggered through yesterday after a seriously broken night. My dog woke me up four times to go out. I went with her three time to see what was going on or get her back; she had a seriously upset stomach and I'm very glad she woke me up frankly. It's a large garden so I can't see all of it without going out and it was freezing. Thankfully she was starting to improve by last night and I was only woken up once. I don't cope well with lack of sleep :( And yesterday my Libre deteriorated to the point where it was consistently reading at least 3 our of whack. Abbott are, as usual, replacing straight away. It prompted me to do a control test on my meter, which is spot on, but I don't think I do it often enough. Out of interest, how often do other people check their meters?

@Marie 2 any update on your would-be adoptee?

Reactions: karen8967

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 sorry for the doggy disturbed night. Here’s hoping on a big improvement for her today.
I confess to doing very few blood tests. (Just looked and done about 10 in the last fortnight) Some days none at all. It all depends on how my bloods are behaving on the Libre. At the moment I am going through a very settled stage with lovely straight lines in the middle of my range. This tends to last a couple of weeks. Then for absolutely no reason I will have a couple of weeks of constant highs requiring half unit nudges throughout the day. So I may test bloods once at the beginning of the day, to see if that high range aligns. Then follows two weeks of lows, which require the jelly baby nudge. I test more frequently if I feel very low. This is a pattern my diabetes has settled into over the years, which has become more obvious since wearing the Libre and my consultant agrees I would find it very difficult to manage without.
I also test more on the first day for confidence and the last day when it seems less reliable. My last HBA1C was 45. So my faith in it is justified. I feel lucky. Besides, I have tested the same time on 3 different meters and had ranges 2mmol apart so I don’t get too hung up on exact amounts these days, as long as I am feeling about right.
Does anyone else feel that they start to have a bit of a relationship with this disc on your arm? I have to put a new one on today ready for tomorrow, and always start to feel a little sad.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @becca59, she's definitely much closer to normal although she didn't quite last the night - a 5.30 outing, but I went back to bed and got a few more zzzzzzs.

Very interesting about testing. I test every morning, and if it aligns with Libre that's it for the day unless I'm low, when, like you, I test more and I rely on my meter to check until the hypo's over. My meter has control solution that I use to check it, and I just think I'm remiss about doing that as often as maybe I should. Interestingly, the Libre I started this morning gave me its first reading which was identical to my meter. Long may it last! (Well, two weeks anyway!)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 I always used testing solution regularly with my original meter. The Libre meter testing fluid system had me very confused. 2 bottles and complicated instructions. I gave up. Any help in this department would be much appreciated.

Reactions: Marie 2 and hh1

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which one. If AZ one, my advice would be take paracetamol quickly.

It is the one that sounds like a Vauxhall MPV..
So far I feel.. Nothing. No hurty arm whatsoever.
Though my BGs are scraping the teens. Could just be a rebound from a low I treated earlier.
Let's see what the correction does. I'm normally pretty responsive to Novorapid.

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77