Low Carb Baking Flour

KR50fifty

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly, I’m on the verge of giving up on almond flour...
I am committed to 1 last ditch effort using 1 of the most premium (read “pricy”) brands I can find locally (SE US) - and to be fair it does already appear much more finely ground than the other 2 blanched “finely” ground &/or sifted varietals I’ve tried.
I’m worried though that I just can’t tolerate the texture &/or taste of it overall.
What to do as I terribly miss home baking since Dx back in mid-Aug?
Any successful low carb mixes that result in lovely texture & taste?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts do you live?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m thinking @ziggy_w might have some good ideas. She’s in Germany rather than the US, but most things are available on both sides of the pond. It’ll just be the brands that vary.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for the tag, @Goonergal, and welcome to the forum, @KR50fifty. Let me also tag @shelley262, who might also have some good ideas.

If it is any consolation, it took me many, many attempts to get a handle on low-carb baking. So, you are not alone in your frustrations.

So, if almond flour doesn't work for you tastewise, there are lots of other non-grain and low-carb alternatives that you can try (some are even lower carb than almond flour and also significantly less expensive).

The ones I can think of off-hand are:
Oat fiber, lupin flour (these two are my favorites), sunflower seed flour, coconut flour, pumpkin seed flour (wouldn't use too much of it, though, the flavor is very distinct), sesame flour, potato fiber. Very often a mix of different flours will work better than just a single flour. For example, for bread rolls, I use a mix of oat fiber (half a cup), lupin flour (half a cup), almond flour (1/4 of a cup) and potato fiber (1/8 of a cup).

Of course, as you will probably already know, with all of these low-carb flours, you need to add something that increases the elasticity of the dough, which can be either pure gluten (which is usually very low carb, but obviously isn't an option if you are gluten intolerant or sensitive) or psyllium husk powder and some type of leavening agent such as baking powder or yeast. In the above recipe I use 1/4 cup of psyllium husk and some baking powder plus plenty of hot water.

Let us know how you progress. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w thanks for the tag. I use the pure gluten powder for my bread, as luckily I am not intolerant but bread is main thing use a flour mix for low carb bread which works well for me:

Low carb bread using vital wheat gluten and inulin to ‘feed’ the yeast

I used a stand mixer to knead the bread mixture. I used a loaf tin 30cms in length and 11cms I also used a bread slicer to cut the bread into even slices. Bread freezes well once cut into slices.

Carb content of the whole mixture is 20g per loaf – I managed to slice the loaf into 25 reasonable size slices which worked out as 0.8g per slice.

Yeast starter - Start 30 -40 mins before making the bread

Two cups of warm water -One tablespoon of inulin dissolved in the warm water

15g (2 teaspoons) of dried yeast (traditional – not fast acting) sprinkled on the water and cover with cling film or similar

Should quickly form a froth - if warm place may be in 20 mins but cooler places can take up to 40 mins.

While the yeast is proving

Whisk two room temperature eggs with some salt added to taste and measure out half a cup of warm water. Put both to one side

In a mixer bowl add:

100g of milled seeds (I use organic golden linseed)

50g of oat fibre

50g of psyllium husk the fibre variety not the powdered one (NB make sure that it is the Blond variety as some can turn the bread purple!)

160g of vital wheat gluten

50g of butter (ideally softened – brought to room temp)

Mix the dry ingredients and butter together with a dough hook then add the proven yeast mix in a well in middle of the mixture and let it stand for about 5 mins. Then turn mixer on and slowly add the proven yeast starter and finally the beaten eggs mixed with salt (Salt kills yeast so add after yeast mix is beaten in.) if mix still dry add the extra half a cup of warm water – judge as go along. Knead for at least 5 mins until mixed and stretchy. I kneaded for 10 mins in total at different speeds.

Prepare a buttered loaf tin with baking paper at bottom. Add the dough to the tin, and cover with buttered Clingfilm (or reusable silicone sheet) and tea towel. Leave until doubled in size this can take 1 – 2 hours depending on how warm it is.

Meanwhile heat oven to 180 fan.

Bake for 35 mins, and then tip out of tin and put back in for 5 mins to finish off. (Cooking time 40 mins in total)

Reactions: ziggy_w

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
Sadly, I’m on the verge of giving up on almond flour...
I am committed to 1 last ditch effort using 1 of the most premium (read “pricy”) brands I can find locally (SE US) - and to be fair it does already appear much more finely ground than the other 2 blanched “finely” ground &/or sifted varietals I’ve tried.
I’m worried though that I just can’t tolerate the texture &/or taste of it overall.
What to do as I terribly miss home baking since Dx back in mid-Aug?
Any successful low carb mixes that result in lovely texture & taste?

I'm hooked on my Almond Flour I bought on Amazon, although I just cook for me so not too spendy. I use one recipe that I add cinnamon too and totally love it and also like creamcheese spread on it ;) I love the texture but it's not the sort to use for toasting I don't think. I'm new at this too, but youtube is my usual goto for recipes and recently added Coconut flour to my pantry,