Feeling poorly

Luvly

Hi again @Luvly

Sorry, it was getting a bit late for me last night. As others have said above, try not to worry. We’ve all been in the same place and the fact you keep coming back and asking questions shows you’re really working at this and are ready to make some changes. Please keep doing that.

I’m just a year younger than you and also had a lot of weight to lose when I was diagnosed a bit over 4 years ago, so do appreciate how challenging it can feel.

The dietdoctor.com website I linked to above (and again here) https://www.dietdoctor.com/ really is a great resource. Keeping things simple if you avoid, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and just plain sugar and replace with fresh, natural foods - meat, fish, eggs, dairy, above ground vegetables then you’ll reduce your blood sugars very quickly - that’s the most important goal and you may well find that as that happens, weight will follow, and with far less hunger than on traditional ‘diets’.

The key is to remember that you need to find foods that satisfy and work for you and that you’ll be happy to eat in the long term. Easy to say, harder to do, but it does get easier the longer you do it.

You mention that you have some food phobias, so maybe it’d help if you give us an idea of the types of thing you do like eating and we can help you with some low carb ideas?
I'll create a thread on phobias. x

Reactions: Goonergal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Luvly I’d like to add my twopenn’orth here, although it’s pretty much the same as the other advice you’ve been given.
It is heartbreaking to read that it has driven you to tears but don’t despair: you can get control of your blood glucose. It goes against the grain for most people to disregard medical advice I know, but just a browse round the forum, especially the Success stories thread should reassure you that it’s not only possible but a positively enjoyable experience.
I went from prediabetic to diabetic in a few short years by following the advice my Gp gave me. I switched to whole meal bread and pasta, ate brown rice and porridge and ate a lot of fruit. It makes me cross now to think I was doing the very worst thing I could do for my body.
It is hard at first, there’s no getting away from it as it is a complete mindset change, but the results are well worth it.
I didn’t bother arguing with my GP, he got cross with me for cutting carbs - he said it was dangerous! He was looking at my lab results which were better than they’d been for years but it still didn’t dawn on him that he might be wrong.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you to everyone for your help, advise and support.
I have a few bs meters. All which give different readings. My favourite one, which stores my readings in my phone app, bluetooth.which I've had since I was pre-diabetic last year, is the most costly ( strips ).

My DN gave me and meter, and strips on prescription, but that meter doesn't have bluetooth, but is made by the same company, but the strips are not compatible with my own meter. Although I've seen online that the strips that I have, are available on prescription, but my DN won't prescribe them, because she said they are too expensive.
I know it's better to just stick with one meter, but I so prefer the one that I have.

I haven't named the meters I have, because I don't know if naming the products are allowed on here.
Because I noticed that one of the threads I posted someone put a binoculars symbol against my post.
I do not want to get into trouble x
Pretty sure binoculars means it’s a post you are watching
Don’t worry, you are doing fine.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had 50 years of advice on my diet - I had threats and insults and dreadful warnings - but the child who would (I was told) be stunted and have learning difficulties, turned out to be 6ft 3 with a B.Sc.
As love laughs at locksmiths, life must sigh over dieticians.

Reactions: jjraak and DJC3

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my DN told me to eat porridge, special K ( special K, which I found has 17% sugar. She also said it's ok to have rice and pasta, but just a small amount. And fruit.
Yes, I need to re-learn and change my eating habits/choices.
At the moment it seems like pretty much everything is a no, no. This is really becoming frustrating and stressing.

Hi,

The milk in the Special K may not be doing your BGs any favours either? Lactose is another form of sugar.

I haven't named the meters I have, because I don't know if naming the products are allowed on here.
Because I noticed that one of the threads I posted someone put a binoculars symbol against my post.
I do not want to get into trouble x

You are more than welcome to let us know what type of meter you use.. :)
It's helpful if you tell us should there be an issue with it & someone with experience of the same model can help.

You did after all mention the "Special K" & so did i. ;)

The great news is you seem to have been prescribed a meter..

Reactions: jjraak

Luvly

Hi,

The milk in the Special K may not be doing your BGs any favours either? Lactose is another form of sugar.

You are more than welcome to let us know what type of meter you use.. :)
It's helpful if you tell us should there be an issue with it & someone with experience of the same model can help.

You did after all mention the "Special K" & so did i. ;)

The great news is you seem to have been prescribed a meter..
Oh my gosh, yes I mentioned the Special K . Senior moment, again, Do'h! I only drink unsweetened oat drink, ordinary milk gives me stomach pains.
Ok, I have the Contour Next One. The prescribed one is Contour. I also nave the True Metrix Air

Michael OR

Hi @Luvly I’d like to add my twopenn’orth here, although it’s pretty much the same as the other advice you’ve been given.
It is heartbreaking to read that it has driven you to tears but don’t despair: you can get control of your blood glucose. It goes against the grain for most people to disregard medical advice I know, but just a browse round the forum, especially the Success stories thread should reassure you that it’s not only possible but a positively enjoyable experience.
I went from prediabetic to diabetic in a few short years by following the advice my Gp gave me. I switched to whole meal bread and pasta, ate brown rice and porridge and ate a lot of fruit. It makes me cross now to think I was doing the very worst thing I could do for my body.
It is hard at first, there’s no getting away from it as it is a complete mindset change, but the results are well worth it.
I didn’t bother arguing with my GP, he got cross with me for cutting carbs - he said it was dangerous! He was looking at my lab results which were better than they’d been for years but it still didn’t dawn on him that he might be wrong.

I am prediabetic and have been eating porridge, small portions of wholegrain pasta and rice. Is that not good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am prediabetic and have been eating porridge, small portions of wholegrain pasta and rice. Is that not good?
There are many on here who would find the carbs in those foods would spike their blood glucose too much. Others might find they could tolerate the same carbs.
You would only know how they affect you by testing your bg.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you have a glucose meter? The best way to see for yourself is by testing immediately before eating, and then again 2hrs later. Try to aim for a rise less than 2 mmol.
Pasta and rice are still carbs, whether whole meal or not, they all turn to sugar in your blood.
We are all slightly different though, and some people can tolerate a higher amount of carbs than others. Test and see, good luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might be able to cope with small amounts - but it might be a far tastier option to make yourself a low carb option of stir fry or salad stuff rather than try to cope on meagre amounts of bland food.
Try a lasagne using strips of leek, simmer gently to soften the outer leaves, use the middle chopped with the meat and layer the outer strips instead of the pasta and the result is even tastier than the 'real' thing.
Rather than rice, substitute cauliflower, cooked and chopped small. Makes a great curry.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Michael OR welcome!

You’d likely get more response to your question if you started your own thread. Let me know if you’d like me to move your post and the responses to it, or feel free to start a new thread.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. I can tell you that porridge, pasta and rice, whatever colour, would be absolutely no good for me. I had a porridge-induced BG rise from 5.3 to 8+ for example. I really do like porridge, but it can't ever be part of my diet. The only way to find out is to test your BG before and after eating. Do you have a meter?