Evening -awaiting second HBA1c

Saralou16

Hello, was advised I may have type 2 diabetes and have been asked to go back next Friday for a repeat HBA1C. I've been on a low carb diet for 8 months with zero weight loss, which is the big puzzle as I was under the understanding that if I had diabetes, I would've had unexplained weight loss. Is this necessarily the case? Has anyone else been diagnosed and have previously had problems with weight loss?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unexplained weight loss is a symptom of diabetic issues more often seen in type 1 or more serious long standing type 2. Many don’t have this symptom, in fact many don’t have any symptoms that they recognise as diabetes or only with hindsight.

When you say low carb how low? Have you ever monitored your blood glucose? What sort of level was the first hb1ac test?

It’s possible it simply wasn’t low enough to overcome strong insulin resistance to lose weight, did you change shape, feel otherwise different?

Reactions: Saralou16

Saralou16

I only eat eggs for breakfast such as a small omelette, lunch is usually a brown wrap with meat or tuna salad an apple in the afternoon then at dinner time I'm having a small fist full of rice with curry (this Is an example of my daily carbs). They didn't tell me the actual reading but they said another hba1c to confirm

Saralou16

Yes I'm unusually tired, have been for 3 weeks, drinking 3l of water a day and still thirsty, constant trips to the bathroom and aches and pains and cold in hands and feet

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree with @HSSS that maybe you haven't gone low carb enough. But and the big but for me there were 2 issues weight- yes I had a lot to lose. I've lost 30 kgs and basically stalled (although I've had a lot of stress and eaten more carbs still very low but more than I was eating) and the other issue was blood sugar levels.

The way I dealt with it was to focus on blood sugar levels. So I went very low carb- keto less than 20 grams a day. I didn't count protein or fat. I lost weight while doing this- as I said over 30 kgs. But my focus was on my blood sugar levels.

I now want to also lose more weight. I am about to resign from my extremely stressful job in the next couple of weeks. I will probably give a months notice but not sure what my bosses will do. Either way in about 6 weeks I won't be in that job any more. The stresses themselves have effected my levels but have also meant I have eaten more carbs- still low carb but enough so my weight loss has stalled. So for me- just me- I need to keep very low carb to lose weight without being hungry. For me that means less than 10 grams a day so very low carb.

For you- you need to get a meter. The meter will tell you how many carbs your body can tolerate. If your HbA1c shows that you are either diabetic or prediabetic I would really recommend a meter. Once you have a meter you can record your carb intake and the resulting levels. That will tell you how many carbs your body can tolerate.

Good luck and welcome.

Saralou16

Ah ha....perhaps. they said type 2 diabetes so it could be due to insulin resistance, which I know I had when I had gestational diabetes. That could explain it. I think I'll leave the rice out and see if that helps. I need a monitor but I think I'll have to buy one before I go on Friday as the Dr said he won't give me one until they find out for sure. Thank you so much, and im glad to be part of an amazing community

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah ha....perhaps. they said type 2 diabetes so it could be due to insulin resistance, which I know I had when I had gestational diabetes. That could explain it. I think I'll leave the rice out and see if that helps. I need a monitor but I think I'll have to buy one before I go on Friday as the Dr said he won't give me one until they find out for sure. Thank you so much, and im glad to be part of an amazing community
Have a read of the link in my signature below if you are confirmed. It probably won’t be a bad idea to take it on board anyway as if you “failed” one test you are probably fairly close to diagnosis even if you scrap under with the second test (barring a total error but with you GD history quite possibly it won’t be that). Type 2 is fundamentally insulin resistance, high enough to cause blood glucose dysregulation.

The wrap (of any colour) and the rice would cause me issues bgl wise which in turn leads to weight gain or lack of loss.

Personally I’d wait til Friday just in case you get extremely lucky on the meter front. Definitely ask and explain you want to monitor and adjust your diet and activity in real time (not at 3, 6 or 12 month intervals) based on what raises levels and what doesn’t and keeps you wishing goal levels. But expect to get told you don’t need to test (you would be well advised to) you’ll become obsessed (well only with getting healthy in most cases) you’ll damage your fingers (rubbish if you do it right). It actually about costs or not understanding meters can be used to adjust diet, not just for hypo avoiding or insulin dosing.

Reactions: Saralou16

Saralou16

Have a read of the link in my signature below if you are confirmed. It probably won’t be a bad idea to take it on board anyway as if you “failed” one test you are probably fairly close to diagnosis even if you scrap under with the second test (barring a total error but with you GD history quite possibly it won’t be that). Type 2 is fundamentally insulin resistance, high enough to cause blood glucose dysregulation.

The wrap (of any colour) and the rice would cause me issues bgl wise which in turn leads to weight gain or lack of loss.

Personally I’d wait til Friday just in case you get extremely lucky on the meter front. Definitely ask and explain you want to monitor and adjust your diet and activity in real time (not at 3, 6 or 12 month intervals) based on what raises levels and what doesn’t and keeps you wishing goal levels. But expect to get told you don’t need to test (you would be well advised to) you’ll become obsessed (well only with getting healthy in most cases) you’ll damage your fingers (rubbish if you do it right). It actually about costs or not understanding meters can be used to adjust diet, not just for hypo avoiding or insulin dosing.
Thank you so so much for your advice.
I got confirmed as type 2 diabetic and I've been prescribed metformin twice a day which is going really well. I have an existing monitor from when I was pregnant and I also got the testing strips on prescription.
The only problem I'm having is that my fasting bloods are 8.8 mmol in the morning. I don't have anything after 5pm (my evening meal) and my portions have increased alot due to a slight loss of appetite. Would the health professionals be concerned about these readings?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so so much for your advice.
I got confirmed as type 2 diabetic and I've been prescribed metformin twice a day which is going really well. I have an existing monitor from when I was pregnant and I also got the testing strips on prescription.
The only problem I'm having is that my fasting bloods are 8.8 mmol in the morning. I don't have anything after 5pm (my evening meal) and my portions have increased alot due to a slight loss of appetite. Would the health professionals be concerned about these readings?
The morning reading is the last to come into line because of a thing called dawn phenomenon. Basically your liver dumps glucose to get you up and going. In type 2 it’s not well regulated the way it is in “normal” people. As you drain the excess glucose from your system (and don’t top it back up) by eating low carb it gradually improves but it does take months. Some people continue to struggle with it no matter how good the rest of the days or their hb1ac is. If the rest is good I personally wouldn’t worry, certainly not yet.
I hope you’re not relying on metformin alone as lifestyle needs to go alongside medication for best results. And I’m confused by increasing portions due to loss of appetite. Make sure you’re not starving yourself (low calorie). Long term it doesn’t help.