Fasting and High BG

smutcher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I recently joined the Low Carb Program and watched Dr Jason Fung's videos on there, who seems to be an advocate of intermittent fasting.

I find if I go more than 5 hours without eating my blood sugars start to shoot up. When I decided to do the Newcastle plan last year my GP ordered me to stop as my sugars were frequently reaching 20. My diabetic consultant said this is because of my liver releasing its stores of glucose into the system, which makes sense.

But does this mean that, in theory, if I persisted with frequent fasting whilst maintaining a low carb diet the rest of the time, these stores should deplete? And therefore I should no longer get blood glucose spikes if I go slightly longer without eating?

My fasting glucose levels when I wake up are normally my highest of the day. They don't go low during the night so I presume this is the dawn phenomenon I've heard about. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about this or if it will always just be the case. It currently feels like I'm fighting all day to reduce my levels back into the normal range from the high fasting figure first thing.

I'm type 2 and taking insulin (toujeo and novarapid) and currently no other diabetes meds (stomach issues). I've gained a lot of weight since moving onto insulin a year ago and my insulin resistance has worsened accordingly. My diabetic consultant/dietician are keen for me to continue as I am but with the addition of more medication. But I feel like I'm trapped in an ever decreasing circle right now so am trying my best to find a way to break out of it.

Any tips or advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance,

Susan

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that eating every 12 hours resulted in my levels looking better all the time.
Normality came as I followed what gave me lower numbers on the meter.

smutcher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found that eating every 12 hours resulted in my levels looking better all the time.
Normality came as I followed what gave me lower numbers on the meter.
Thanks! Did fasting make your sugars higher initially? x

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I also find if I don't eat that my levels go higher for a while. What may help is to go for a gentle walk- I find that helps- not strenuous but walking.

I'm only on metformin so not able to advise any more but if I were you I would be looking to try to reduce rather than increase medication. Having said that it is important not to go hypo. I wish I could give you some practical advice.

What amount of carbs are you eating at the moment?

it sounds stressful. I hope that those with more expertise are able to offer some suggestions- good luck and a virtual hug.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! Did fasting make your sugars higher initially? x
I had been on Metformin so mot eating until I had been out to do errands, then eating and taking the tablets, so by the time I was settling on the 12 hour routine I was coming around from the effects of the medication - I was on Atorvastatin too, but as soon as I started to want to go out all day and doing testing and thinking about things, it was soon pretty obvious which regime was the most beneficial.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you have observed fasting does increase BG in short term ... its best explained by Dr. Fung in FAQs

https://www.dietdoctor.com/why-is-blood-glucose-elevated-when-fasting

I saw this in early days and did extended fasting and before I knew it, the reading were starting come down. If my experience is anything to go by, I would recommend that you stick with an intermittent fasting regime that works for you.

Reactions: oldgreymare