help needed please

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all I need to vent or I’ll pop. Last few days I haven’t been able to get my sugars below 17 despite taking my meds insuman and novo rapid. I have had a continuous head ache and feel exhausted despite sleep can anyone help me understand please. My stomach has ballooned to which means my trousers don’t fit I guess due to weight gain I lost half a stone before Christmas and it went back on in two week nothing has changed in my diet x

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, it would be best to contact your nurse for a call back today or appointment. Did I see that you had your meds changed a few days ago?

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, it would be best to contact your nurse for a call back today or appointment. Did I see that you had your meds changed a few days ago?

Hi yes she increased my insuman by 1 unit im hoping its just a glitch. the tiredness could be cause i work 2 am till 7 am as an online shopper and we have been manic since the lockdown and the headaches could be caused by that. my nurse isnt at the surgery till wednesday and she is the only one i trust for advice. my bloating could be water retention. i went into panic mode this morning when it was 17 again. my hba1c has gone up to 117 from 106 last year so im questioning everything im doing eating and drinking

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Are you keeping a food diary?

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Rapid weight gain may be more likely due to water retention than fat. It sounds counter intuitive, but if you are too low sodium you may retain water. Keep drinking lots of water, but maybe add some salt into your diet, especially if you have cut out all processed food (inc pasta and bread).

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rapid weight gain may be more likely due to water retention than fat. It sounds counter intuitive, but if you are too low sodium you may retain water. Keep drinking lots of water, but maybe add some salt into your diet, especially if you have cut out all processed food (inc pasta and bread).

I haven't cut anything out my diet yet. I'm waiting to go on the DAFNE course hopefully it will be this month. I have suffered with low potassium before so I'm just trying to work out why I feel like I do

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, you do need to contact the GP/nurse. You say you haven't cut anything out of your diet but I would suggest you should reduce the carbs whilst also making sure you reduce the insulin if necessary to avoid hypo risk. Are you carb-counting your mealtime Novo? Don't wait for the DAFNE course for that as it's an essential part of being on Basal/Bolus insulin. Ask the nurse if you aren't carb-counting.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, you do need to contact the GP/nurse. You say you haven't cut anything out of your diet but I would suggest you should reduce the carbs whilst also making sure you reduce the insulin if necessary to avoid hypo risk. Are you carb-counting your mealtime Novo? Don't wait for the DAFNE course for that as it's an essential part of being on Basal/Bolus insulin. Ask the nurse if you aren't carb-counting.

im not carb counting as yet as i wanted to wait till i go on the course

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn’t wait to go on the course, it is easy to learn online and if you search Bertie this online version can help.

Start keeping a list of what you eat & number of carbs. I use the carb & Cals app to track it.

Your numbers won’t start coming down until you have enough insulin to cover the carbs, whilst your still working things out one approach is to reduce your carbs & find the balance. Start with one meal a day, eat less carbs & replace with protein & fats. Repeat for a couple of days & test before & after meals to measure the effect.

For example if you usually have a sandwich for lunch try making only half a sandwich & add a salad with lots of cheese & meat to keep you full.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn’t wait to go on the course, it is easy to learn online and if you search Bertie this online version can help.

Start keeping a list of what you eat & number of carbs. I use the carb & Cals app to track it.

Your numbers won’t start coming down until you have enough insulin to cover the carbs, whilst your still working things out one approach is to reduce your carbs & find the balance. Start with one meal a day, eat less carbs & replace with protein & fats. Repeat for a couple of days & test before & after meals to measure the effect.

For example if you usually have a sandwich for lunch try making only half a sandwich & add a salad with lots of cheese & meat to keep you full.

thanks i will give that a try. i have some low carb bread i have been trying hovis and hi lo which i have yet to try but in freezer. the hovis one is nice just like normal bread. are they any good or just a con.

i probably am a carb muncher as never really been told to cut them down etc everything in moderation but this is getting beyond the joke now and all they do is chuck more meds at me. i weighed myself this morning and i have put on another pound. i have been following weight watchers and lost half a stone over Christmas from beginning of November but now i realise it was false weight loss as my sugars were to high. Drinking loads going to the loo loads

i have been in complete denial thinking it will get better on its own but trying a different mindset i realise i have to put the work in for it to get better

this is all steroid based and old dr not picking up on it. 4 months of a high dose of steroids to get my asthma under control gave me type two diabetes then back in 2019 i had more steroids for a similar thing in hospital for 3 days with high sugars and i havent got back in control since then.

im trying to carry on working and look after my son who is additional needs and i did have very little time to myself but that has got to change. i have just been out for a walk which im going to do on my day off. im an online shopper so i start work a 2am and finish at 7am at mo as i need to keep away from the public. i need to adjust what im eating cereal in the morning then break more cereal come home more cereal lunch bread dinner potatoes starchy veg rice or pasta depending what we are having

i need to change my diet not only for myself but for my son to otherwise he could end up having issues with his weight as he does very little exercise

sorry for the long post but all these things i needed to get of my chest

Sparks1224

Hi Tedybear 74,
One of the key things for me (which I got from here) was keeping a food diary in which is logged food obv. When it was started ingredients in meals, times of tablets, readings, exercise.
Your diet looks to have a lot of carbs in it but there is plenty of sound advice on here on recipes and meals. What you will also read is that everyone can be different in what is good and what is bad for them. So what I would call finding your own level.
It may sound like a bit of a faff but the food log and going through what is on this site will I think pay off.
The other area and I speak from my own habits is the night work (clearly if its work its hard to crack) but what sort of rest do you get during the day. I say this from a history of working late hours and even now some now its bedtime at stupid oclock.
Hope this helps.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tedybear 74,
One of the key things for me (which I got from here) was keeping a food diary in which is logged food obv. When it was started ingredients in meals, times of tablets, readings, exercise.
Your diet looks to have a lot of carbs in it but there is plenty of sound advice on here on recipes and meals. What you will also read is that everyone can be different in what is good and what is bad for them. So what I would call finding your own level.
It may sound like a bit of a faff but the food log and going through what is on this site will I think pay off.
The other area and I speak from my own habits is the night work (clearly if its work its hard to crack) but what sort of rest do you get during the day. I say this from a history of working late hours and even now some now its bedtime at stupid oclock.
Hope this helps.

i sleep when my son is at school till lunch get up have lunch and cook dinner and back in bed again for around 7 till 12.30 then the day starts again i have tuesdays and sundays off where i sleep for around 9 hours

its the food that is the issue im sure of it i just need to know and learn what i can and cant eat

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks i will give that a try. i have some low carb bread i have been trying hovis and hi lo which i have yet to try but in freezer. the hovis one is nice just like normal bread. are they any good or just a con.

i probably am a carb muncher as never really been told to cut them down etc everything in moderation but this is getting beyond the joke now and all they do is chuck more meds at me. i weighed myself this morning and i have put on another pound. i have been following weight watchers and lost half a stone over Christmas from beginning of November but now i realise it was false weight loss as my sugars were to high. Drinking loads going to the loo loads

i have been in complete denial thinking it will get better on its own but trying a different mindset i realise i have to put the work in for it to get better

this is all steroid based and old dr not picking up on it. 4 months of a high dose of steroids to get my asthma under control gave me type two diabetes then back in 2019 i had more steroids for a similar thing in hospital for 3 days with high sugars and i havent got back in control since then.

im trying to carry on working and look after my son who is additional needs and i did have very little time to myself but that has got to change. i have just been out for a walk which im going to do on my day off. im an online shopper so i start work a 2am and finish at 7am at mo as i need to keep away from the public. i need to adjust what im eating cereal in the morning then break more cereal come home more cereal lunch bread dinner potatoes starchy veg rice or pasta depending what we are having

i need to change my diet not only for myself but for my son to otherwise he could end up having issues with his weight as he does very little exercise

sorry for the long post but all these things i needed to get of my chest

It’s what we’re here for right, rant away as long as it helps you feel better.

It sounds like your in an overwhelming situation & I can sympathise having been there myself but that was pre-diabetes. A few years ago I was running a nightclub, taking care of my 4 kids & desperately trying to work my way out of a hole. I can’t imagine the pressure of having diabetes too.

Take small steps, forget everything that has come before with your diet & focus on your successes. I have no idea of low carb bread works, I just chose to majorly cut back on how much normal bread I was eating. I went from 6 slices a day to 1 or none. I don’t have to low carb but I prefer to.

Here’s some ideas for meal swaps;

Breakfast
Ditch Cereal for eggs & bacon/ sausage/mushroom/ spinach
If time is a factor precook a frittata, it keeps for 5 days & warms up in a minute
Eggs are carb free so you only need to count any carbs in what goes with them, plus they’re filling.

At work snacks
Ditch cereal for Greek yog (100g) & berries (30g) it’s roughly 7g carbs
Diced cheese, cold meats, cucumber are all carb free

Lunch
Reduce the bread for just 1 slice & fill with ham, cheese & salami or tuna & mayo or chicken. There’s tonnes of options.
Add a salad with cucumber, tomatoes, cheese, cold meats.
Add low carb crisps such as sensations popadoms or Skips.
Another option is 300g if fresh soup (check the packet) & 1 slice of bread.
If you have time to cook try sausage, bacon, eggs, tomato & mushrooms.
Lunch can easily be under 25g of carbs or lower.

Tea
Swap rice for cauliflower rice, it’s nice as long as you have a good sauce to go with it like bolognaise, curry etc.
Reduce your potatoes or don’t worry too much if it’s your only carb on the plate.
Any meat with lots of veg is a good shout.

Have a go at carb counting a normal day of food it’s probably 200g or more. You can easily reduce that to less than 100g with a few changes but be careful because as your numbers reduce the more chance of a hypo. The key thing is to test regularly & record everything - food, drink, carbs, bg’s, insulin & exercise, housework & work count as exercise if your on your feet & moving, both can lower your levels.

It seems like a lot of extra work but honestly it becomes natural over time. You’ll be tempted to think you don’t have the time because you have to do X, Y & Z for work or your son but your important too. You have to feel better to be at your best.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s what we’re here for right, rant away as long as it helps you feel better.

It sounds like your in an overwhelming situation & I can sympathise having been there myself but that was pre-diabetes. A few years ago I was running a nightclub, taking care of my 4 kids & desperately trying to work my way out of a hole. I can’t imagine the pressure of having diabetes too.

Take small steps, forget everything that has come before with your diet & focus on your successes. I have no idea of low carb bread works, I just chose to majorly cut back on how much normal bread I was eating. I went from 6 slices a day to 1 or none. I don’t have to low carb but I prefer to.

Here’s some ideas for meal swaps;

Breakfast
Ditch Cereal for eggs & bacon/ sausage/mushroom/ spinach
If time is a factor precook a frittata, it keeps for 5 days & warms up in a minute
Eggs are carb free so you only need to count any carbs in what goes with them, plus they’re filling.

At work snacks
Ditch cereal for Greek yog (100g) & berries (30g) it’s roughly 7g carbs
Diced cheese, cold meats, cucumber are all carb free

Lunch
Reduce the bread for just 1 slice & fill with ham, cheese & salami or tuna & mayo or chicken. There’s tonnes of options.
Add a salad with cucumber, tomatoes, cheese, cold meats.
Add low carb crisps such as sensations popadoms or Skips.
Another option is 300g if fresh soup (check the packet) & 1 slice of bread.
If you have time to cook try sausage, bacon, eggs, tomato & mushrooms.
Lunch can easily be under 25g of carbs or lower.

Tea
Swap rice for cauliflower rice, it’s nice as long as you have a good sauce to go with it like bolognaise, curry etc.
Reduce your potatoes or don’t worry too much if it’s your only carb on the plate.
Any meat with lots of veg is a good shout.

Have a go at carb counting a normal day of food it’s probably 200g or more. You can easily reduce that to less than 100g with a few changes but be careful because as your numbers reduce the more chance of a hypo. The key thing is to test regularly & record everything - food, drink, carbs, bg’s, insulin & exercise, housework & work count as exercise if your on your feet & moving, both can lower your levels.

It seems like a lot of extra work but honestly it becomes natural over time. You’ll be tempted to think you don’t have the time because you have to do X, Y & Z for work or your son but your important too. You have to feel better to be at your best.

Thanks and sorry for the late reply i was working this morning and have been asleep. i have just sent my nurse an email re carb counting and a few days of figures. last night i went to bed on 19 and woke up at 14 got it down to 10 by 5.30 this morning

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
other easy no (or little) prep ideas are:
Hardboiled eggs, cook say 6 or more at a time. Keep for days in the fridge

Roll up slices of ham or other cold meats in presliced cheese. Can add a little coleslaw, rocket or even chutney and vary the meats and cheeses for variety. When done they last in the fridge or lunch box and can be eaten with just fingers

Nuts, portion them into small portions in cling film. Totally portable

Cook more sausages then needed for a meal, cold taste better to me!