Anxiety & diabetes

Doireallyneedanams

Hi All

I suffer quite severe anxiety and have been managing it without medication since my teens.

Things have been worse recently and I’m considering giving medication a go.

I have noticed that a lot of the anti depressants that are used for anxiety state that they can affect glucose and diabetics should monitor their glucose whilst taking them.

I’m not diabetic but having had GD and 2 brothers with type 2 I’m high risk - I don’t want to add another risk factor into the mix.

Has anyone got any experience or knowledge about this?

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hello there. Like you I have suffered with anxiety all my life since I was a young child up to now. It got to a debilitating level back in 2006 and I was diagnosed with GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) I had never been on medication for this but it got to such a level that day to day tasks filled me with complete and utter fear. I have been on and off Antidepressants since then and they have helped to take the edge off things.

I have also had CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) which was an hour once a week for three months. I have also had Stress and Anxiety Therapy about three years ago as work was almost impossible due to my thinking. I have had assessments at the Tavistock for other possible issues not directly related to my anxiety. It has followed me my entire life.

After visiting my GP about five years ago he said he could not understand why GP's give Antidepressants when Anxiety is the main worry for the patient. He then put me on Duloxetine and said that it is one of the only Antidepressants which is licensed specifically for treatment of GAD but it also helps my Neuropathy as it is used for that also.

If like myself you are at a stage where you feel you are losing to this underestimated and quality of life changing condition then go and have an honest open discussion with your GP. People to not understand Anxiety and it is a lot of the time treated as "well we all get that" As you know it goes way beyond the ups and downs of normal every day worry.

With regard to your question about them raising Blood Sugar Levels I can honestly state that I have not had any such worries and continue to take them today.

I know exactly what you are going through so have that discussion with your GP and see where it gors from there.

Kevin

Last edited: