Higher readings after fasting than after eating?

Foxlady

Hello all...I’be been advised by doc that I am nearly ‘prediabetic’ and to watch my diet and lose weight..although he’s never met me so could tell by my voice I could do with losing a stone..! Anyway..I have a good, basically veggie diet, lots of legumes and always whole meal pasta and rice, very little bread (alcohol and chocolate at weekends) so this concerns me as my mum was diagnosed later in life with diabetes and then died of pancreatic cancer. I bought myself a glucose tester but the strange thing is that the readings are always on the higher side after fasting (5.7 -6.2) and quite low 2 hours after a meal (usually around 5.4)...anyone able to throw some light on why this would be? Thank you!

Reactions: oldgreymare

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Hello all...I’be been advised by doc that I am nearly ‘prediabetic’ and to watch my diet and lose weight..although he’s never met me so could tell by my voice I could do with losing a stone..! Anyway..I have a good, basically veggie diet, lots of legumes and always whole meal pasta and rice, very little bread (alcohol and chocolate at weekends) so this concerns me as my mum was diagnosed later in life with diabetes and then died of pancreatic cancer. I bought myself a glucose tester but the strange thing is that the readings are always on the higher side after fasting (5.7 -6.2) and quite low 2 hours after a meal (usually around 5.4)...anyone able to throw some light on why this would be? Thank you!
Sadly I can't help with explanations for your BG readings, but dietdoctor.com is an amazing resource to explore how you may wish to rethink what you consider 'healthy' eating.

Foxlady

Sadly I can't help with explanations for your BG readings, but dietdoctor.com is an amazing resource to explore how you may wish to rethink what you consider 'healthy' eating.
Thank you..I’ve had a look at Dietdoctor.com...I presume I’ve looked at the correct site...it’s a pay monthly one though and American? Or have I got the wrong one!?

Reactions: oldgreymare

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Thank you..I’ve had a look at Dietdoctor.com...I presume I’ve looked at the correct site...it’s a pay monthly one though and American? Or have I got the wrong one!?
For the full site it is subscription basis as the owner does not wish to go down the advertisement route. The founder is a Swedish GP who is committed to low carb. But there should be a free trial option. Many of the recipes are yummy and you can toggle between US and metric units.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never paid for anything on this site, no need for the subscription. Many recipes and a lot of information is free.

Doireallyneedanams

5.4 isn’t low so that’s where you want to be 2 hours after a meal, if not even lower.

As for your fasting, many things can affect your fasting glucose. I am not diabetic but I am high risk, I have even noticed that when it is nearing that time of the month, my fasting is 5-5.3 when it is normally 4.4-4.7.

You’d be surprised at how high carb some legumes are so you may want to have a read online. Whole meal pasta and rice are still pasta and rice, so best avoided or eaten only occasionally.

Realistically it’s about eating low carb, not what people consider to be a “healthy” diet (sweet potato instead of white, orange juice etc!)”

I’m surprised your GP has mentioned this to you if you’re not in the prediabetic range. It seems all or nothing with GP’s these days. Where do you draw the line, really? What was your hba1c?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you..will give it a go! Difficult when you have a family that like their bread and pasta...!
I live with a total carboholic other half. I’m talking 3/4 of a loaf of bread a day. Vege too so also loads of high carb options like pasta, rice and legumes a plenty. The teens were the same but 3 yrs of watching me and being forced to eat meals that match mine (carbs optional on the side was the starting point) has convinced them that they feel better without the excesses of their father, especially since genetics from me and their grandfather raise their T2 risks. They now refuse the options even if I offer it for kitchen convenience !
I choose to look at his food as sweet tasting poison! It actually helps. That and a quick bgl test to scare the pants off you after caving to cravings.

Reactions: MrsA2

Foxlady

I live with a total carboholic other half. I’m talking 3/4 of a loaf of bread a day. Vege too so also loads of high carb options like pasta, rice and legumes a plenty. The teens were the same but 3 yrs of watching me and being forced to eat meals that match mine (carbs optional on the side was the starting point) has convinced them that they feel better without the excesses of their father, especially since genetics from me and their grandfather raise their T2 risks. They now refuse the options even if I offer it for kitchen convenience !
I choose to look at his food as sweet tasting poison! It actually helps. That and a quick bgl test to scare the pants off you after caving to cravings.
Sweet tasting poison...will try that! Thank you!

Foxlady

5.4 isn’t low so that’s where you want to be 2 hours after a meal, if not even lower.

As for your fasting, many things can affect your fasting glucose. I am not diabetic but I am high risk, I have even noticed that when it is nearing that time of the month, my fasting is 5-5.3 when it is normally 4.4-4.7.

You’d be surprised at how high carb some legumes are so you may want to have a read online. Whole meal pasta and rice are still pasta and rice, so best avoided or eaten only occasionally.

Realistically it’s about eating low carb, not what people consider to be a “healthy” diet (sweet potato instead of white, orange juice etc!)”

I’m surprised your GP has mentioned this to you if you’re not in the prediabetic range. It seems all or nothing with GP’s these days. Where do you draw the line, really? What was your hba1c?
Doc wasn’t much help...just said to watch what I eat but no actual advice! And like I said, he’s never even met me!

Foxlady

Thank you for your reply...My blood test was 141 apparently..but no further advice given.

Foxlady

what kind of blood test did you have? Was it a fasting one? Or did they get you to drink a glucose drink and take two sets of bloods?
Hi..no it was just a random test for an abdominal pain ..no fasting although I’d had a bowl of soup and slice of whole da, bread half an hour before...

Doireallyneedanams

Hi..no it was just a random test for an abdominal pain ..no fasting although I’d had a bowl of soup and slice of whole da, bread half an hour before...

In which case I have no idea how your doctor can tell you that you are “nearly prediabetic” because you didn’t have a test for it.

141 is 7.8 mmol and it’s not unusual for non diabetics to get these numbers after eating, which you had. As for the random blood test, it’s my understanding that over 11 mmol is indicative of diabetes. Maybe they are being cautious but it seems quite dangerous to me to tell someone to make dietary and lifestyle changes when it may not be accurate. For all they know you could be underweight.

What they would normally do is an hba1c or a fasting test in the morning (before you eat) for an idea of how your glucose is behaving.

I would ask the doctor why they think you are “nearly prediabetic.”

Foxlady

In which case I have no idea how your doctor can tell you that you are “nearly prediabetic” because you didn’t have a test for it.

141 is 7.8 mmol and it’s not unusual for non diabetics to get these numbers after eating, which you had. As for the random blood test, it’s my understanding that over 11 mmol is indicative of diabetes. Maybe they are being cautious but it seems quite dangerous to me to tell someone to make dietary and lifestyle changes when it may not be accurate. For all they know you could be underweight.

What they would normally do is an hba1c or a fasting test in the morning (before you eat) for an idea of how your glucose is behaving.

I would ask the doctor why they think you are “nearly prediabetic.”
Thank you..I have to ring him today anyway so will ask for a proper fasting test. Although it’s made me sit up and take notice about my diet in general and have been walking the dogs a lot quicker!