Type 1 male chances of having children

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Regardless of the risks of a child of someone with getting diabetes, I would remind you that the treatment for diabetes is improving fast. Judging the future challenges of someone with type1 based on what the challenges are today is like comparing the challenges of someone diagnosed 30 years ago before fast acting insulin, finger prick meters, CGMs and pumps existed (or at least were popular).

And, of course, as we often hear or read a cure is only 10 years away ;).

@M05 you also ask whether type effects the chance of having children. Like everything else diabetes related, a high blood sugar can effect your fertility but not type 1 per se
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/pregnancy-complications/infertility-in-men.html
https://www.diabetesqld.org.au/uncategorized/male-fertility-and-type-1-diabetes/

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Type 1 with four children and 3 grandchildren so far none of my offspring or theirs have diabetes.and I had a vasectomy after 1st two , had it reversed and then had another 2 , all healthy , my 23 year old was born 8 weeks early ( nothing to do with diabetes btw) under 4lb born now a strapping 5’11” and in the navy .

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
My daughter was born in 1984, my 25th year of Type 1. She has a very healthy 9 year-old daughter. Touch wood....
In 1983 I was told I had a 1 in 12 chance of passing it on since no other person in my family tree had it. When you start finding out details about non diabetic parents, there is usually a hidden health issue. I don't believe there is such a creature as the perfect human biologically. Enjoy your life!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does type 1 diabetes interfere with having healthy children and do they get type 1 too

Hi,

You have at least 3 other topics posted in the last year expressing your concerns & the odds regarding passing type one on to your offspring.
So, it's on your mind.

Are you on a relationship? If so. Have you discussed starting a family with that person in your life..

With the best will in the world. You just have to chase your dream/ambition. Catch it. & possibly check for a nappy change.

Good luck my friend. Life always finds a way. :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And, of course, as we often hear or read a cure is only 10 years away ;).
Gets a bit old after 50 years :):):).

But you're right, the treatment available now is astronomically better than it was 50 years ago. (I still remember the urine testing chemistry experiment with a tablet, 5 drops of urine and 10 drops of water in a test tube, shake and wait 2 minutes.)

Though there are experiments out there which attempt to reduce the likelihood of diabetes in T1 family relatives (not sure whether the one my daughter was invites to worked, as she didn't end up having the required genetic markers to join.)'And looping insulin pumps and cgms will presumably improve and become more main stream?

If you live in a first world country with a public health system then T1 is pretty manageable. It's more difficult if you don't.... (Though presumably first world medical treatment improvements will gradually filter down to other parts of the world.) As a female T1, I never considered the chance of my kids getting diabetes as a reason not to have them. My mother was T1, and I'm very happy to be diabetic and alive:).

Nadia19

I’m type 1, had been diagnosed 7 months then I was pregnant with my baby girl. Healthy pregnancy, healthy baby. Wishing you all the best.

M05

Hi,

You have at least 3 other topics posted in the last year expressing your concerns & the odds regarding passing type one on to your offspring.
So, it's on your mind.

Are you on a relationship? If so. Have you discussed starting a family with that person in your life..

With the best will in the world. You just have to chase your dream/ambition. Catch it. & possibly check for a nappy change.

Good luck my friend. Life always finds a way. :)
Yes I know because I get only a few responses and it seems that every t1 male have t1 chidren

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I know because I get only a few responses and it seems that every t1 male have t1 chidren

Hi,

Now you have a response from one who is child free... :)

It's never been my personal objective.
If you are in a relationship & are told in a roundabout sort of way you'd "make a great dad?"
Then have "that discussion" with her... ;)

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 1 with a daughter who was born in May 2020. Didn’t put me off having children. There is 1 member of my family who has type 1, one of my uncles on my dads side of the family.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
My sister and myself have type 1 and had it for 100 years between us!
She has a son now 25 who is non diabetic.
I have a son who is 21 and he too is non diabetic.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Tony

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My nan was diabetic.. All her children were... And about 50% of here grandchildren are

So there is always a chance... So this just needs to be a small consideration when discussing the risks with you partner...

As for ability to have children... Well that's an individual thing..... Try if it doesn't work then see your gp... They will start with a testosterone test and prescribe if needed.. Then if still no joy a consultant to do sperm tests and medication as required.

But to be fair unless you have other endocrine issues you have as much chance as anyone else

M05

My nan was diabetic.. All her children were... And about 50% of here grandchildren are

So there is always a chance... So this just needs to be a small consideration when discussing the risks with you partner...

As for ability to have children... Well that's an individual thing..... Try if it doesn't work then see your gp... They will start with a testosterone test and prescribe if needed.. Then if still no joy a consultant to do sperm tests and medication as required.

But to be fair unless you have other endocrine issues you have as much chance as anyone else
That's good do u have children

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Does type 1 diabetes interfere with having healthy children and do they get type 1 too

I am not male. I have 3 children, I had my third child with type 1. My oldest daughter got gestational diabetes in pregnancy, but this went away after my granddaughter was born.
I wouldn't wish Type 1 on anyone, but, that doesn't mean we can'r have a healthy and a fulfilled life.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
That's good do u have children

No

I never met the right person... And now I'm 47 so little chance now.... Meeting the right person or having a child

I did however have a sperm test a couple of months ago and it would still be possible