Retinopathy

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People judging my condition not knowing enough about it.
I’ve recently had a haemorrhage in my left eye which has caused a veil like image and I can’t see very well out of the eye. I have been given laser treatment but require another bout of laser in 4 weeks time. Has anyone been in this situation and how long will it be before the sight becomes clear again? The doctor said the blood in the jelly of the eye is causing the poor vision but the blood should absorb of its own accord but didn’t say how long this would take. I’m frustrated at the length of time.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
GOOD MORNING SUK
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR EYES ARE YOU ON INSULIN OR DIET ONLY ...??
I HAVE HAD LAZER TREATMENT WAY BACK N 1986 MOORFIELDS LONDON
NOT like your problem but very similar white dots that cause blind spots but do go in time maybe 2/3 weeks but what i did is my hardest to blood sugars under control as some time they would hit 20 to 25 so to achieve this use very tight control check blood sugars more often study and look at food carbs
also back then we had no on the spot blood sugar test s like LIBRE or Insulin pumps MAYBE A PAIN but i always
write down my insulin does time of day carbs in a book which is far easy than computers of phones good luck
as you can see after 35years can still reply to you
stay safe vic insulin for 63 year s

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently having treatment. 3rd session of laser was done on Friday and they will contact me in 4 weeks. During the first 2 treatments my floaters were really bad. Strong black wishy ink in my vision and even though it healed my vision remained blurred.

I have visual snow also which is when I look at the sky or light colours I see pixel or tiny dots. Also everything seems darker like I need more light in a room otherwise it feels like I've lost 30% or so of normal lighter vision.

It depends but alao note that scarring can also affect your vision. They said the best way to prevent further damage and even slightly improve your vision is blood glucose control. If you're having treatment and your bloods are constantly high or you're having hypos often then it's going to damage the blood vessels in your eyes.

I would also recommend getting your kidneys checked out. Since the blood vessels in your eyes are the same size as the ones in your kidney and can sometimes be a early warning system. In my case my kidneys were fine.

Also smoking and drinking alcohol can cause damage ti the blood vessels in your eyes.

My advice is to keep your blood levels in target, keep getting treatment, stop smoking(if you are) and don't plaster your self with alcohol.

My vision hasn't improved since the first treatment back in july but.. . My floaters are less now and I haven't peaked over 13.0 reading for blood glucose for 2 weeks.

They also recommended an injection to help clear the vision but I'm slightly off the levels for it. Then obviously last option if it gets really bad is a operation.

Goodluck though =).

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Brillant reply
all about blood sugars , we all know it is tough but as said make note s i have test my blood say before breakfast lunch and tea and last thing at night but be carefull as you can chase your own BACKSIDE PUNN.
steady as it goes only change IF HIGH OVER A 3 DAY PERIOD then only small change remeber it is a balance of FOOD INSULIN AND WHAT YOU DO IE work driving walking of just sitting well done DAZPHOENIX28
VIC

Reactions: Dazphoenix28

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww thank you Vic =). I was told if I didn't take control back in July I'd go blind by 35(28 at the moment). Evrr since then I've got my h1b down to 64 from 90, got carb counting and insulin ratio perfect and got a libre to view how my blood levels do over 24 hours. I don't want to loose anymore of my sight and always needed the motivation to control my diabetes. So from that day onwards I cut all sugar and bad foods out of my diet and stick to greens, healthy fats and brown carbs.

I don't have sugar in my coffee anymore(just as it is with a tad bit of semi milk) and won't touch chocolate or treats. I've lost a bit if weight and nwver miss a meal.

Brillant reply
all about blood sugars , we all know it is tough but as said make note s i have test my blood say before breakfast lunch and tea and last thing at night but be carefull as you can chase your own BACKSIDE PUNN.
steady as it goes only change IF HIGH OVER A 3 DAY PERIOD then only small change remeber it is a balance of FOOD INSULIN AND WHAT YOU DO IE work driving walking of just sitting well done DAZPHOENIX28
VIC

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aww thank you Vic =). I was told if I didn't take control back in July I'd go blind by 35(28 at the moment). Evrr since then I've got my h1b down to 64 from 90, got carb counting and insulin ratio perfect and got a libre to view how my blood levels do over 24 hours. I don't want to loose anymore of my sight and always needed the motivation to control my diabetes. So from that day onwards I cut all sugar and bad foods out of my diet and stick to greens, healthy fats and brown carbs.

I don't have sugar in my coffee anymore(just as it is with a tad bit of semi milk) and won't touch chocolate or treats. I've lost a bit if weight and nwver miss a meal.
and another thing i have married 2 sons both over 40 and the stress and stains of working buying house you will always need family.
my old dad use to smell my breath on a Sunday after SAT night out get out and dig the garden or go for a walk all before these modern blood sugar machine came out BUT the thing was i aways was a driver for my mates and i only had tomato juice with a tranwg of worcester sauce as i was the driveing .
FREESTYLE brillant bit of kit helps when driving and sleeping stay safe vic

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you all, I’ve been type 1 since 1972 so something like this out of the blue is distressing. My last HBA1C was 63 which I know is high so am trying my best to look after myself. Just had a horrible time recently after losing a close relative and have let myself go

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
one of life s little blips bring your self back slowly stay focus lookalike you got a lot of friends so use them go walking or cycling or indeed running all the best vic

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, it is starting to clear slowly. It’s taken I’d say about a month. I was worried in case it didn’t at all. Have been sent a second appointment for some more laser.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So the situation got worse due to operation being cancelled twice. When I finally got a date for the operation I was told on the day that I now had detached retina. Apparently it’s a long slow process to treat it and no guarantee of clear vision in the future

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So sorry to hear that you've got a detached retina. Have you had an operation to repair it?

Reactions: suk

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve had one operation during which they’ve put a type of silicone in the eye to attach the retina. That was a week ago and currently I have almost no vision in that eye. Been told it is a long slow process.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really glad that u've had an op to reattach the retina. I've got a friend who had this op, and it went well, so hopefully the end result for you will be good as well. Take care.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you Hopeful34. I really hope that I can regain normal vision in the affected eye. The consultant has said that I will never get back the full vision like before which I got upset about but I will have to wait and see.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It’s not something that the consultant has said but I didn’t ask him that question. Due to see him tomorrow so will certainly ask.

suk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So I’ve seen the consultant today and so far so good. The retina is in place and the silicone oil has to remain the eye for a further 3 months. Also a cataract will form. In 3 months I will need another operation to remove the oil and cataract. He couldn’t tell me how much vision I will regain at this stage or if I will need more surgery. It’s a case of hoping for the best. I asked about corrective lenses and he said it’s too soon to say. Watch this space

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am waiting for cataract operations on both eyes, I have an appointment beginning of April to have measurements for the first eye then the operation beginning of May, having tri vocal lenses so hopefully vision should be good

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad that you had a good report from the consultant @suk. Just wanted to also say that it took my friends cataract longer than 3 months to form, but it never stopped her doing anything.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am waiting for cataract operations on both eyes, I have an appointment beginning of April to have measurements for the first eye then the operation beginning of May, having tri vocal lenses so hopefully vision should be good
Hope it goes well for you.