1st thread

mh234

This is the second time I'm writing this, the screen just shut down. So I'll start again. So I have had diabetes for years now. I know there is a Newcastle study about 600 calories, by Prof. Taylor and I just wanted to know whether it worked for anyone for reversal?
I feel saddened whenever I realize it's a lifelong condition. What I cannot change I need to accept. I managed with my neighbours and any of the older generations I know suffering from it. But I had sort of just wanted to have a conversation at some point in life without diabetes and gone into avoidance, anyway it's the past. I do get upset, it's isolating when other young people who are healthy might not understand. During the lockdown, I had read the Jenny Uglow book, on the lunar men, and it had gone into some information on Wedgewood's experience. My own grandparents have it. And sadly my grandfather passed away recently, if you are reading this please don't personalize, hopefully, nothing of that sort will happen to your family. particularly if you'r anxious. It is a coincidence. My grandfather was 84 and had been suffering with it a long time, he had lived his life, managed to see one great-grandchild.

mh234

If anyone has been a long term diabetic has this site helped you? Is it still possible to do a high intensive job with the disease?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mh234 ,

Welcome to the forum.

If anyone has been a long term diabetic has this site helped you? Is it still possible to do a high intensive job with the disease?

Yep, there are a fair few of us holding down gainful employment in active buisy jobs..

Are you T1 T2? Are you prescribed diabetes medication, if so which?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

It would help us if you give a bit more details about yourself and the type of job you are referring to.

'For example I am a type 2 in my mid 50s and the only medication I take is metformin. I have an extremely stressful job requiring a lot of hours and intense concentration. My diabetes does not stop me doing my job although the stress doesn't help my blood sugar levels. I deal with my diabetes with a very low carb diet.

Anyway good luck and welcome.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Yes, you can combine a stressful and pressured job with T2, although eating a low carb diet in the last job I had would be a nightmare (now gratefully retired). If my experience is anything to go by, it's a mistake to think that diabetes problems "switch on" only when your BG hits 50. I personally don't tolerate BG levels in the 40s.

I found that the low carb diet took me back to normal blood glucose levels in about four months - I was only just in the diabetic range at diagnosis but had been having symptoms for around ten years. I've tried low-calorie ways of eating in the past and they don't work for me - being hungry all the time is no fun, and any fat lost is reacquired quickly.

This site is a source of good advice and relevant personal experience. I haven't found anywhere half as good. Nobody here can or should diagnose anything, but you might find that people's experience speaks to you and helps understanding. If you give a bit more information about your own circumstances - your diagnosis, what you're eating etc, it can help people tailor comments to your needs.

Last edited:

mh234

Thank you for the responses, I meant the job area being in research, although I think I do feel that I have , if feels management of the disease takes over a lot, It feels overwhelming, It's not easy, I guess it might help to not be alone in this. I think it's p, the lowest my blood sugar has been is 55 and the highest when I just chose to ignore was 135 at the moment with covid it it has creeped up to 70. I used to have 3 month readings and went 6 month readings, that might be why, I do have a home blood glucose reader, though I understand it's not the same set of readings as the following. I found this website quite helpful to know as guide where I should be. I found a guide helpful hhtp://baspath.co.uk/Hba1c_table.pdf got confused with the different types of tests reading. Whilst it's good to know where it should be. I hope this site helps. particularly when sometimes I sometimes want to just feel it's not there. It's good to have a community, particularly sometimes making more mobile. wouldn't really understand. For me personally one bad news after another, past 10 years, yet it is the past. it is a long time, it probably is overmagnifying, and having the tools to manage. I get the feeling I might be overexaggerating the emotions involved, but I am going to be kind to myself inroder not to go into avoidance of taking control. Initially without diabetes the low carb thing worked. I had lost weight. So hopefully it will help.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again,

when I was first diagnosed I felt completely overwhelmed. I found the change to a low carb diet difficult. What kept and is still keeping me motivated is the readings on the meter. Low carb with higher fat is easier for me than low calorie as I don't go hungry.

What I found useful was to focus on low/no carb food. meat, fish, eggs, cheese cream etc. I have those in my mind. So eggs and bacon are great, cheese- well I've just eaten some and it was delicious.

I have found that it gets easier with time. I stick to low/no carb food. Occasionally I feel a bit sad at the thought of never eating some of those carbs I miss- I deal with it by having stuff to hand- diet jelly, gin with soda water, low carb treats, peanut butter etc- that means I have a go to treat that I like. Most of the time it doesn't bother me and that is honestly something I never thought I would say. I'm a carboholic but a reformed one.

It will get better and this is a great place to get support so you don't feel alone and also to get ideas if you need them.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Type two diabetes has absolutely no effect on my life - other than visiting a website on the subject.
I have always known how well I felt eating low carb - others were constantly pushing me to 'eat healthily' - I should have been more assertive, but I'm fine now and have normal numbers.

Reactions: VashtiB