Normal!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c 38!
And my first meeting with a DN, a year after diagnosis.
Pleased with the former, not so much with the latter. As expected she wasn't interested in what I had done, just pleased I'd done it. She didn't do any foot or eyes checks, saying as my levels aren't diabetic there's no damage being done ( this ignored that in 2006 I was prediabetic but no one told me, or has mentioned it since).
She did say my cholesterol has gone up, and to see the gp for statins BUT thanks to the lovely people on here I know my ratios are good and I don't need them. I will wait and see if they contact me.
She did say I will get a retest in a year

Funnily enough I feel a bit deflated. Its nice to have the confirmation that low carbing works but I'd have liked more support to continue it forever.
Thank heaven for you lovely lot.
This forum has saved my life. Long may it continue

PS I have lost 3 stone since my heaviest, thats 23%. To try to keep on the right path I have a libre on order!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, excellent numbers!

Reactions: MrsA2

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hba1c 38!
And my first meeting with a DN, a year after diagnosis.
Pleased with the former, not so much with the latter. As expected she wasn't interested in what I had done, just pleased I'd done it. She didn't do any foot or eyes checks, saying as my levels aren't diabetic there's no damage being done ( this ignored that in 2006 I was prediabetic but no one told me, or has mentioned it since).
She did say my cholesterol has gone up, and to see the gp for statins BUT thanks to the lovely people on here I know my ratios are good and I don't need them. I will wait and see if they contact me.
She did say I will get a retest in a year

Funnily enough I feel a bit deflated. Its nice to have the confirmation that low carbing works but I'd have liked more support to continue it forever.
Thank heaven for you lovely lot.
This forum has saved my life. Long may it continue

PS I have lost 3 stone since my heaviest, thats 23%. To try to keep on the right path I have a libre on order!

Wow!!! You don't need validation, YOU know you've done it because you can see the results!!!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations and well done you.
Can also understand you feeling a bit deflated but you need to keep reminding yourself of how far you have come through your own research and following evidence based advice. Each of us on here are our own bio hackers and experiments BUT there are large numbers of us who have changed things round. You need to work out your own pathways - what works for you and the most maintainable way forward for you.
Not sure at all why you are not having annual eye check from your local retinopathy screening though I’d ask - it may be you are in process, as know it’s been disrupted by covid mine was 6 months late but you could query with surgery as it’s not done by DN should be automatic like a 12 month minimum hbaca1. Don’t understand too why your DN didn’t check your feet it’s standard practice.
It’s celebration time and a pat on the back from me well done and well worth it re improving your health.

Reactions: ziggy_w

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure at all why you are not having annual eye check from your local retinopathy screening though I’d ask - it may be you are in process, as know it’s been disrupted by covid mine was 6 months late but you could query with surgery as it’s not done by DN should be automatic like a 12 month minimum hbaca1. Don’t understand too why your DN didn’t check your feet it’s standard practice.
I've given up trying to understand. Just pleased I finally got to see someone, once! Luckily (!) I have other eye problems so see consultant twice a year anyway.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations and well done you.
Can also understand you feeling a bit deflated but you need to keep reminding yourself of how far you have come through your own research and following evidence based advice. Each of us on here are our own bio hackers and experiments BUT there are large numbers of us who have changed things round. You need to work out your own pathways - what works for you and the most maintainable way forward for you.
It’s celebration time and a pat on the back from me well done and well worth it re improving your health.
When my nurse took me off meds and we discussed remission ina years time she said I would remain tagged as diabetic to ensure checks including eyes and feet continue. There seems no logical reason to not have this, I would definitely argue it if they are trying to stop this

I remain adamant that I will always be T2, so want to ensure this is the case. For one thing I’ve had this since 2008 and even with hba1c of 38 (snap!) I don’t know what long term impact I may have had and I want to keep my eyesight and feet!

I believe though that unless you have any retinopathy they may have changed eye tests to every 2 years now?

I have read that some areas are skipping these routine due to covid though. My area is still doing everything, so I feel very lucky

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news on the HbA1c. Well done.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 -- Absolutely brilliant results. Well done and well deserved.

So sorry the DN wasn't more supportive, though this is definitely a reflection on her and not on your achievement.